Fatigue on small hands from play Baritone 7 Strings

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by setsuna7, Dec 26, 2018.

1. setsuna7

setsuna7 Poor Gearwhore

Not sure where to post this. I was wondering if you guys, those with small(girly hands) like me, run into pains or fatigue from playing Baritones. My index fretting finger is roughly 3 inches.
    My pain mainly from my thumb, from playing sus chords on my NT7 (which a 25.5” ), or just barre chords for that matter. Just wondering should I go full Baritone on my next 7, or get a 26.5 scale 7, or get an evertune equipped standard scale 7.
    I’m intrigued by the Evertune thingy, since Bobby Lynge said it helped him with stability without going full Baritone,

And that dude from Crystal Lake plays the same guitar in Drop F.

Just wanna you esteemed Djentlemen’s opinion.

Thanks

2. gunch

gunch chungus

I didn't know that about evertune, would setting the tension of the system like that cancel out bending or no?

setsuna7 likes this.
  3. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

You may just need a thicker neck, like some of the Schecters.
    Filling up your hand more can reduce the tension needed to squeeze in on a slimmer neck.

TomPerverteau and setsuna7 like this.
  4. migstopheles

migstopheles SS.org Regular

Gotta be careful with the evertune if you stray too far from more "standard" tunings. I put my 27" baritone with evertune in GCGCGC and bottomed out a couple of the saddles. You can buy new saddles with different tensions but it's a pain in the ass getting it right

setsuna7 likes this.
  5. Stuck_in_a_dream

Stuck_in_a_dream SS.org Regular

^ this might be what you need. I have average hands, but I don't get any fatigue on my Schecter C7 26.5" probably for that reason, love the thicker neck.

Several years ago, my hand used to get fatigued and more (I developed a Ganglion cyst / bible bump in my left wrist) from playing a 35" 6-string bass. Sold it, went back to normal in a month or so.

setsuna7 likes this.
  6. setsuna7

setsuna7 Poor Gearwhore

Thought about this as well, when I had an RGA 8 the thin neck were unbearable.

That’s why I’m also eyeing the KM mark IIIs.
    Hopefully the necks are not any thinner than my ESP.

Thanks guys really appreciate your inputs.

ss.org Awesome as always

7. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

Thirding the calls for a thicker neck. As a fellow small-handed guy, I find that thinner necks cramp my thumb and wrist more, and thicker necks tire (but don't really stretch/cramp) my fingers and the back of my hand more.

8. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

I have small hands but found that thin Wizard necks on 6/7 strings gave me the most cramps

Round 7 string necks and semi-round (ie: RG8) necks on 8 strings work the best for me, followed by C shaped 6 string necks

9. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

It’s funny I played wizards all my life and still enjoy them. But my hand does get sore faster then with my thicker Jackson’s.
    I had a strandy and the fanned frets helped my smallish paws.

setsuna7 likes this.
  10. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

I'm not going to comment on neck shapes or scale lengths because there are loads of people out there with small hands doing crazy stuff on big guitars/basses.

What I will say is stretch and warm up. Don't care if you've been playing 20 years or 1 year. Stretch and warm up. I have massive hands and if I don't do either of those things playing will hurt. If you're getting strain on a 25.5 inch playing chords a 27 isn't going to help neither is a 26.5 and neither is a 25.5 with an evertune.

When I got my first 8 I jumped right in and had to take a week off from playing because I strained my fretting hand.

Stretch and warm up.

couverdure and setsuna7 like this.
  11. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I've been playing on Wizards for 30+ years, & am noticing that I have less fatigue when I play on my other guitars with thicker necks. I also have osteoporosis, degenerative joint disease, and arthritis, so filling out the hand with a thicker neck means that I don't have to choke up on it as much.

12. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Before this myth gets out of control i want to make clear that Evertune does not allow the use of shorter scales.

It does eliminate pitch instability, which low tension strings tend to suffer from, so some players are stating it allows them to use lower gauges and lower tension, and therefore shorter scales. However it does not fix the many other issues of low tension strings, like tone and playability. In fact, compared to a fixed bridge, Evertune causes an inferior tone due to being a floating bridge.
    There's no substitute for a longer scale.

I'm concerned about, and rather irritated by, the misunderstandings, myths, wild claims and excessive hype surrounding Evertune, it's a bit like True Temperament.

13. jonsick

jonsick SS.org Regular

I gave up on the Baritone 7s. I got too fatigued in the left hand and I was near getting some kinda condition. I sold it on and got standard scale 25.5" 7 strings, much much happier.

14. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

I got old and with small hands too. Everything is hurting for me nowadays. I gave up on 7 strings and got a Digitech Drop instead for down tunes on my 6 strings. Works for me so far.

15. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

This thread led me to measure my index finger :D about 3.15 inches, which is on the small side. Worst neck for me has been old thick Schecter sevenstring profile. Longer than 25,5" doesn't really bother me and those kind of guitars have usually more room between frets in higher register. Neck radius is another thing to concern, for me compound radius or not too flat radiuses (less than 16-17" and more) work better in rhytm playing where you need more force with fretting hand in lower register. Which can also lead to fatique faster along with flatter neck shapes.

setsuna7 likes this.
  16. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

I just measured my index finger, and none of you guys know what "having small hands" is. Mine was less than 2.5".

17. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I had to measure also, lol. 2 15/16, so just under 3".

I agree that a thicker neck might help, but more importantly, a round neck. I have had an older Schecter Hellraiser for years like people are mentioning. It has a huge round neck, 26.5" scale, etc... It is not bad to play overall. I also have an Ibanez RG7321, but the neck was kind of blocky on it. I actually took sandpaper and sanded it down to be rounder, so now it is more comfortable. It is fairly thin, but the roundness helps a lot.

However, I don't play them that much any more. I think playing them more would cause more pain. I pull them out sometimes, but overall, I can play on a 6 string detuned to B like 1000x better, so I do that most of the time. It takes far less effort to play when I am not straining to reach the top string.

Those Schecter KM guitars you are looking at still have a fairly wide/thin/flat necks. The Schecter Ultra Thin C neck is one of my favorite 6 string necks, but I didn't like the few 7 string versions I have picked up. The 7 string versions are definitely flatter on the back than their 6 string counterparts.

setsuna7 likes this.
  18. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I will add, one guitar I did like the neck profile on is the PRS SE 7 and new SVN guitars. Much more chunky and round than the Ibanez/Jackson/Schecter style necks, and very easy to play. If I were going to pick up another 7 string, it would be one of those.

setsuna7 likes this.
  19. guitaardvark

guitaardvark SS.org Regular

Pain shouldn't be caused by scale length, and very rarely should neck profile cause severe pain rather than fatigue or discomfort. More often than not, pain is the result of technique that needs adjustment. Look at Allan Holdsworth. The guy played a 38" baritone scale at times, and if you run a quick google image search, you'll see that he was the master of uncomfortable chord shapes. You'll also notice that he kept a near-perfectly straight wrist on his left hand, stayed relaxed, and maintained great posture. Tim Henson from Polyphia has some of the smallest hands I've ever seen on a player, and the dude can rip baritone 7 and 8 strings. Again, he has nearly perfect technique.

I played a 26.5" seven string and a 27" eight string for years without any issues. My fretting hand index finger is ~2.8".

setsuna7 likes this.
  20. Stuck_in_a_dream

Stuck_in_a_dream SS.org Regular

Sure, technique is a huge factor of course, but assuming it is not an issue, I believe you can still claim that certain profile necks are more comfortable than others.

Also, AH should not have been your first example :D, the guy had super human sized hands.

setsuna7 likes this.