Fair asking value of my 1991 greendot Universe.

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by stinkoman, Jul 12, 2019.

1. stinkoman

stinkoman SS.org Regular

Pics can be found here. https://imgur.com/a/IYifzun

So i'm in the process of reducing my collection, and this is the guitar I'm the most on the fence about. I absolutely love this guitar. The neck, the tone, the feel. I get why a lot of people find these special. Right now though I really need a really good bass though, and I know this is one of the more in demand items I could move.

The guitar has has no issues structurally, everything works fine. No locking nut cracks, no neck bowing . Buts it has a good bit of dings, chips, ect. The logo is worn off in some sports, frets are worn and will probably need a fret job, or possibly refretted. Granted the action is pretty low, and don't think buzzing is an issue, but fret wear is there. Strap buttons are missing and somebody put an extra hole in the horn, assuming for a new strap button location.

I understand with all the issues value obviously goes down. But these are getting harder to find, and a lot of examples seem like they still are pulling in a lot of money, and with me lucking into it, it has to be sorta worth it for me to sell it other wise I'll just keep it. I was thinking maybe $700ish seems fair for what they are bringing in these days? If i'm off feel free to say so.

2. thraxil

thraxil cylon

I bought my '91 Green dot on eBay in 2012 for about $800. Mine has its share of chips and dings and scuffs but probably a degree or two better shape than yours overall. That's one data point for you. I haven't really kept up with the market though. In particular, I don't know if the UV70P-BK reissue they did a few years ago boosted exposure and got more people interested in the original or if it diluted the market demand and dragged them down. Best of luck!

stinkoman likes this.
  3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Folks have been paying more for the old Universes lately, maybe the last five years or so. They've gotten a lot harder to come by and the price of the newer Indo ones has driven the price up as well.

The last Green Dot I saw sell on Reverb last year went for ~$1200, and the condition was similar to yours. It did have the proper case though.

It's really going to come down to how long you want to sit on it.

If it was mine, I'd throw it on Reverb for $1600, and be willing to take as low as $1200 if it needs to be gone. Someone will buy it for around $1500 eventually.

Folks are moving the common Indo ones for almost $1k, so your $700 valuation is very low unless there is some unknown issue.

Adieu and stinkoman like this.
  4. stinkoman

stinkoman SS.org Regular

Thanks for the replies. I will probably post it up here for sale first before reverb. Nothing wrong with it other than what I mentioned, and tried to put emphasis on the body dings, extra strap button hole ect. I'll probably list it relatively cheap and see if I can move it quickly, unless a nice bass got offered lol.

5. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Definitely do not sell that for $700 unless it's to me.

With no cracks or breaks, I personally think it's worth a minimum of $1,000 to $1,200. It might be a reach to get $1,500, but if you're patient and keep the ad posted, eventually you probably will hit a situation with a buyer with money to burn but no other UV7s on the market. I know I've "over" paid for something in that exact situation, and I'm sure others do the same.

Good luck with it! Awesome guitars. If you tried to replace that with something of comparable quality, it could be thousands of dollars.

stinkoman likes this.
  6. Jake

Jake GAS Master

I've noticed this too, but also worth noting I picked this one up for $750 shipped on Reverb last year somehow with the proper case.
    [​IMG]

Now it's more beat up than yours for sure, but it's in perfect shape. I imagine I could make a bit of profit off that $750 flipping it if I wanted to clean it up a bit and try but I love it too much to even go that route. Just wanted to put it out there that I did get this one super cheap.

Definitely should list high though and work it down from there as they're wonderful guitars.

stinkoman likes this.
  7. Azathoth43

Azathoth43 ל ו ו י י ת ן

I’ll be brutally frank. I watched that guitar on eBay for a few months sit at $900. I also watched it on eBay from the previous owner at $1200. That’s a lot of damage. Do what Max said. Maybe you can get $1200. I know I wouldn’t pay that much because I didn’t buy it at $900 and I really want a universe. Sorry if I came across dickisly. Not my intention. Good luck on what ever you decide.

stinkoman likes this.
  8. stinkoman

stinkoman SS.org Regular

You're good, I didn't think you came off dickish at all. Everyone has a price point for what something is worth to them.

I appreciate all the replies. Like I said still on the fence on selling it, because it's still amazing despite the condition. If I post it might be around $800 plus shipping just to see if it moves quickly at that price.

Azathoth43 likes this.
  9. yellowv

yellowv Turd Ferguson Contributor

$700 would be cheaper than I can remember any UV selling for in the last 15 years. Minimum I would take as Max said is like $1200.

Adieu likes this.
  10. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

I think OP is right on in the $800 range. A refret is gonna cost whoever buys it $300-400, at which point they’re in upwards of $1,200, and it’s not that hard to get a UV in similar condition for that price.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  11. sirbuh

sirbuh SS.org Regular

Sounds about right. Refret and then spec on it for a 1 year or so.