Experiment with my pedalboard!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Kokos, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Kokos

Kokos The seeker of meaty/djenty sound..

Hey there!

I already have some pedals and I know there are some guidelines how to order and where to put them whether before amp input or in effects loop, but I also know we can break some rules and experiment.

My pedal chain looks like this:

Guitar: Jackson Pro HT7 in drop-F#

=before the amp input==
    Tuner: Boss TU-3
    Pitch shift: DigiTech Whammy Ricochet
    Compressor: MXR Dyna Comp Mini Compressor M291
    Preamp: Tech21 SansAmp GT2
    Equalizer: MXR Six Band EQ M109S
    Overdrive: Maxon OD808
    Fuzz: Electro Harmonix Green Russian Big Muff
    Gate: MXR Smart Gate Noise Gate M135

=amp input==
    Amp: Peavey 6505

=effects loop==
    Delay: tc electronic Flashback 2
    Reverb: tc electronic Hall of Fame 2

=cab===
    Harley Benton G212 Vintage

This is basically my pedal order, note of course I'm not using everything at once. I wonder whether you'd suggest any changes for better modelling possibilities, sounds, usability, and stuff.

If you want I can make a video how it sounds now and how it looks like after applying your suggestions. :)

Thanks!
    K

2. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Looks pretty good. A few thoughts though:

You might also try the EQ in the loop. Same with the noise gate (before the delay/reverb). Those aren’t “better”, just alternate options.

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  3. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Looks good overall, but I would make a few changes.

In front of the amp order:
    Fuzz
    Tuner
    Whammy
    Compressor
    Overdrive
    Preamp
    Gate

FX loop order:
    EQ
    Delay
    Reverb

Most fuzz pedals respond best to a high impedance pickup signal when they're very first in your chain. The TU-3 is buffered, so your guitar's signal is made into low impedance at the output of the tuner. In general, you'll get better dynamics and clarity from your fuzz when it's in front of your tuner. The 808 will do its job best in front of the preamp, much the same way as running it into the front of an amp rather than in the loop. EQ in the loop will have a much more pronounced effect compared to running it up front.

Alex79 and Deadpool_25 like this.
  4. Kokos

Kokos The seeker of meaty/djenty sound..

I knew we can put EQ in effects loop to adust the tone, but I really like EQ before overdrive to model the sound wave before it hits it - it gave me pretty neat distortions, but since I have a fuzz in just separate pedal I think I will give a try with EQ in loop again! Interesting is the gate in the loop, I've never tried it before! Thanks for ideas! If I will stay with EQ and the gate in the loop which one should go first in your opinion, EQ?

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I didn't know what you say about the fuzz! That's something new to me. I will definitely give it a try! 808 before preamp is also a nice tip, I was just wondering where is a place for a preamp and whether I need this preamp at all. This GT2 was my first pedal ever, even when I haven't got any tube amp with it's own built-in preamp.

5. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

If you’re using the gate to help with chunky palm mutes, leave it in front of the amp like @TheWarAgainstTime mentioned.

If you want to reduce noise and hiss, especially with high gain applications where the lead channel is causing some noise, a gate can work well in the loop. In this case I would put the gate after the EQ because the MXR EQ can also produce a little hiss (at least mine does). So in the loop:

EQ
    Gate
    Delay
    Reverb

You might also consider buying another gate and using one in front of the amp and another in the loop. Some gates can actually be wired to do this on their own (Boss NS-2, ISP G-string, etc.).

TWAT also makes a good point about the fuzz. They sometimes sound drastically different with buffers before them so you should experiment with fuzz placement.

You shouldn’t need the preamp but if you like it in front of the amp there’s nothing wrong with that. It’s not the norm to have two compressors but again nothing wrong with that. You could even experiment with one of those in the loop. :)

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.