experience with Japanese ebay sellers?

KentBrockman

Bite back with Kent Brockman!
Reaction score
I have "ibanez prestige" as a saved search on eBay. There are plenty of Japanese sellers who are reselling a guitar but do not actually have it in their possession. You can tell because you will multiple listings from different sellers for the same guitar (and they will have the same pictures).

With that said, I did buy a guitar from one of them once. It arrived exactly as described but you will have to deal with customs. I cannot remember how much I paid. Fortunately, it wasn't too much of a hit since I sold the guitar shortly afterwards after finding a local one in a nice color.

Sometimes, you can find a good deal on eBay from a more local seller but it's rare now.

KobyFit7

Koby Fitzsimons
Reaction score
update: Ive signed up for Zenmarket and Jauce proxy services and I have a quick question. Once you deposit your funds into your accounts to enable you to bid, are you then able to withdraw your funds out of your zenmarket/Jauce account back into your back account minus the 3.5-3.9% fee they charge for depositing?

oracles

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
update: Ive signed up for Zenmarket and Jauce proxy services and I have a quick question. Once you deposit your funds into your accounts to enable you to bid, are you then able to withdraw your funds out of your zenmarket/Jauce account back into your back account minus the 3.5-3.9% fee they charge for depositing?

AFAIK yes, but I've never actually done it. One of the reasons I like FromJapan is that you can link your PayPal to it, and you aren't charged for anything until you actually win the auction, theres no depositing into an account on the site or anything like that, I find it to be a little less hassle that way.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Never used the proxy sites, but I wanna try them at some point in the future.

I did buy an Edwards E-Scythe from a Japanese eBay seller in 2021, though I'm not sure that was a reseller necessarily. Never saw that guitar anywhere else, and the guy was always very, very responsive to my messages and very accommodating. Didn't even charge me shipping. Customs, however, was a bitch and a half. But I got my guitar on time (save for a Fedex delay due to bad winter storms and covid), and extremely well packaged too. I may have just lucked out, not sure, but it was a bit nerve racking, as I had to dodge multiple listings of other Japanese accounts that looked fishy as hell.

KobyFit7

Koby Fitzsimons
Reaction score
do any of you guys have any experience buying from Japan when the guitars don't come with a case? I'm looking at a few without cases but not sure if its worth the risk not being packaged well enough?

AltecGreen

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
yes. You can pull back the funds from Zen Market. No experience with Jauce.

Or you can try White Rabbit. For White Rabbit, you do not deposit funds. You pay for each purcahse using a credit card. But the fees are 10% of the price of the item.

Last edited:

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
do any of you guys have any experience buying from Japan when the guitars don't come with a case? I'm looking at a few without cases but not sure if its worth the risk not being packaged well enough?
You mean in a softcase or no case at all? I've experience with both, but Japanese couriers are good enough to get something safely to you regardless of how poorly it's packaged. That said, many Japanese individuals on Yahoo package things extremely poorly, not sufficient though for international delivery.

mehegama

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Digimart is not a proxy site. It is an online marketplace for musical instruments in Japan. The large majority of stores in Japan will list their guitars on digimart even if they have their own website. You cannot but directly from digimart if you are outside of Japan. You will have to use a proxy.

Jauce is a proxy service. it is not one I use but these proxies all work the same way for the most part. You should examine each service and understand their fee structure and policies. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. I primarily use Zenmarket and occasionally White Rabbit if I need speed and don't care about cost. Stay away from Buyee for guitars.

I use a proxy only when the guitar is at a store that does not do international sales or it is an auction. Most of the time, I'm buying new Japanese dometic market guitars and I deal directly with the store.
Why stay away from buyee?

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
My Edwards came in an ESP gig bag, even though it wasn't advertised. It was packed seemingly to withstand a nuclear blast. But my sample is n=1. Listen to the other more experienced guys.

Marked Man

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
btw, I've bought this and had it for a few days now, but looks like I can still buy it from this random ebay guy!

carvin

I had a Japanese vendor explain to me and I've observed myself that they have one guitar listed many times at different prices under different names. It's quite obvious as they use the same pics in all ads. Whichever one sells first, goes first. And even if you try Buy It Now on one after that, they should in theory cancel your purchase and explain that guitar is no longer available. I've experienced this once before.

I've bought two Edwards Les Paul Customs from a JP seller with great results, one was even at my door within about a week, although the other took around 3 weeks. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from those vendors again. Their prices were fair for Edwards guitar, but you'll get RAPED if you try to buy any desirable B.C. Rich from them, especially USA made, which they treat as Holy Grail guitars.....

narad

Reaction score
I had a Japanese vendor explain to me and I've observed myself that they have one guitar listed many times at different prices under different names. It's quite obvious as they use the same pics in all ads. Whichever one sells first, goes first. And even if you try Buy It Now on one after that, they should in theory cancel your purchase and explain that guitar is no longer available. I've experienced this once before.

I've bought two Edwards Les Paul Customs from a JP seller with great results, one was even at my door within about a week, although the other took around 3 weeks. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from those vendors again. Their prices were fair for Edwards guitar, but you'll get RAPED if you try to buy any desirable B.C. Rich from them, especially USA made, which they treat as Holy Grail guitars.....

If he presented it like he's the vendor and he just lists it everywhere with different IDs and prices, then he was lying to you. It works like this: I'm a regular guy on my computer. No affiliation to any music shops. I see a new guitar listing go up on Digimart/yahoo/mercari, etc. I copy all the text and run it into google translate, and download all the photos, add $500-2000 to the price, and then create an ebay listing using that information (of course this is all automated). Then you see the listing on ebay, and you buy it. I call the shop and say, "I'd like to buy that guitar, can you ship it to this address in the US?" And 90% of the time they say, "Sure" and that's the end of it. The other 10% of the time you buy it, receive it, and forward it to the destination country manually.

So I'd recommend not buying from ebay sellers, and try contacting the shops instead, unless you enjoy the idea of vastly overpaying. I'll sell you just about anything at $500-$2000 above market.

diogoguitar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I really dislike these resellers. They keep flooding my "ibanez prestige" / "esp MIJ" alerts on eBay. ... there is an SG copy from ESP that is sitting on the market for literally 1y... every time a new copy list shows up I get an email.. .but it's the same damn guitar.

The good thing is, sometimes they alert me of a good deal on the market. I saw an alert for this one... it was a reseller trying to sell for about 10% more than what I could get in the US... I contacted the legitimate seller directly, and got it. It ended up being less than what I would have paid new in the US, so definitely worth it.
If I had to pay duties, I would have broken even, so it was worth the gamble.

p.s.: This Ibanez RG5121 is probably "the" best Ibanez I've played in a LOOOOONG time. If you're into shredders, I'd highly recommend checking it out. You can get one with stainless frets, ebony board, hardshell case for what, $1899 or something... thumbs up Ibanez!

1663974479581.png

Last edited:

AltecGreen

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Why stay away from buyee?
Several reasons. These are all based on people coming to me for help when they have issues with Buyee.

The biggest issue is that Buyee have a tendency to put guitars in oversized boxes thus triggering a much higher than necessary shipping fee. One buy recently came to me with this issue. He bought a guitar similarto another he had bought earlier thus he knew how big the shipping box should have been. Buyee forced him to repack into box that was like 15 cm longer than the previous shipping box for the same sized guitar. Thus this ended up costing him a lot of extra moeny because it bumped the guitar out of EMS size range and into a much more expensive shipping option. He ended up having to pay $300 shipping on a $700 guitar.

Another guy had an issue where Buyee gave him a run around on buying a certain guitar. I sent him to White Rabbit and he had the guitar within five days.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
go directly to the Ishibashi sight and you can score for a couple of hundred less, what they have listed on EBay and reverb.

narad

Reaction score
Several reasons. These are all based on people coming to me for help when they have issues with Buyee.

The biggest issue is that Buyee have a tendency to put guitars in oversized boxes thus triggering a much higher than necessary shipping fee. One buy recently came to me with this issue. He bought a guitar similarto another he had bought earlier thus he knew how big the shipping box should have been. Buyee forced him to repack into box that was like 15 cm longer than the previous shipping box for the same sized guitar. Thus this ended up costing him a lot of extra moeny because it bumped the guitar out of EMS size range and into a much more expensive shipping option. He ended up having to pay $300 shipping on a $700 guitar.

Another guy had an issue where Buyee gave him a run around on buying a certain guitar. I sent him to White Rabbit and he had the guitar within five days.

Though I will say those giant shipping boxes look pretty nice. When I sell things overseas as a regular guy I'm limited to what EMS sets (275cm length + circumference) and often I wish I could add some cm to the ends of the box. I recently sold a beautiful 87 horizon to a forum member here... arrived with a smashed headstock :( Obviously smashed upside down besides the gigantic "TOP" written on it. And he got another buyee box the same day. Side by side, it made the EMS look like a starbucks grande to a venti, and that was for a short scale instrument.

It sucks to pay that much shipping, but at the end of the day, you can't take the morons out of the delivery process so it's good to have the oversized packing. I mean, I've sent 50+ guitars with never any issue, but I think the buyee box could probably get that streak up over 100.

mehegama

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Though I will say those giant shipping boxes look pretty nice. When I sell things overseas as a regular guy I'm limited to what EMS sets (275cm length + circumference) and often I wish I could add some cm to the ends of the box. I recently sold a beautiful 87 horizon to a forum member here... arrived with a smashed headstock :( Obviously smashed upside down besides the gigantic "TOP" written on it. And he got another buyee box the same day. Side by side, it made the EMS look like a starbucks grande to a venti, and that was for a short scale instrument.

It sucks to pay that much shipping, but at the end of the day, you can't take the morons out of the delivery process so it's good to have the oversized packing. I mean, I've sent 50+ guitars with never any issue, but I think the buyee box could probably get that streak up over 100.
the magenta 87 broke??? seriously?

narad

Reaction score
Ouch.

If the guitar is still in Japan. Take it to Y.O.S. That guy does miracles on headstock repairs. He's had a lot of practice working on Gibsons.

It's in the US. Trying to see what Rob at RIP would charge. Also what JapanPost will pay out for it, if anything.