experience with Japanese ebay sellers?

KobyFit7

Koby Fitzsimons
Reaction score
hey folks,

I'm currently in the market for a Greco or Epiphone MIJ and the best place to buy seems to the Japanese vendors on eBay. just wondering if anyone has any experience with the likes of these guys and if they're worth dealing with?

cheers.

AltecGreen

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
hey folks,

I'm currently in the market for a Greco or Epiphone MIJ and the best place to buy seems to the Japanese vendors on eBay. just wondering if anyone has any experience with the likes of these guys and if they're worth dealing with?

cheers.
eBay is the worse place not the best. Only case where they are even remotely worth considering is on very low priced goods. In a few cases, they can be slightly cheaper. On anything more expensive, you will pay a huge premium.

Very very few of the Ebay sellers are actual individual sellers or dealers. They are all resellers who do not actually own the instrument they are selling. They charge a significant premium over the price the actual seller Japan has the guitar listed.

Your best bet is to buy directly from dealer in Japan who will actually have the guitar. This can be done directly if they sell interantionally. Otherwise, use a proxy service.

KobyFit7

Koby Fitzsimons
Reaction score
eBay is the worse place not the best. Only case where they are even remotely worth considering is on very low priced goods. In a few cases, they can be slightly cheaper. On anything more expensive, you will pay a huge premium.

Very very few of the Ebay sellers are actual individual sellers or dealers. They are all resellers who do not actually own the instrument they are selling. They charge a significant premium over the price the actual seller Japan has the guitar listed.

Your best bet is to buy directly from dealer in Japan who will actually have the guitar. This can be done directly if they sell interantionally. Otherwise, use a proxy service.
Hmm. I suppose that explains why I’ve seen the same guitar for sale across 3-4 different vendors on eBay at varying prices. How do I know/ find out who the genuine sellers/dealers are Because I’m genuinely trying to find some of these old MIJ epi and Greco guitars. From what I can tell the prices im seeing are reasonable. My local guitar shop (in Scotland) just sold a 1980 Greco eg500 the black beauty les Paul lookalike for £850. Seems to be pretty consistent with the prices I’m seeing on eBay.

oracles

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Definitely don't use ebay. I use jauce and fromjapan proxies, yet to have a bad experience. I bought two Jackson Stars models through fromjapan on the 7th, had them at my door on the 12th packed properly and as described.

KobyFit7

Koby Fitzsimons
Reaction score
Definitely don't use ebay. I use jauce and fromjapan proxies, yet to have a bad experience. I bought two Jackson Stars models through fromjapan on the 7th, had them at my door on the 12th packed properly and as described.
Ah ok so how do these proxy sites work? Do you use their websites as it’s own marketplace sort of thing? I’ve never heard of this before.

AltecGreen

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hmm. I suppose that explains why I’ve seen the same guitar for sale across 3-4 different vendors on eBay at varying prices. How do I know/ find out who the genuine sellers/dealers are Because I’m genuinely trying to find some of these old MIJ epi and Greco guitars. From what I can tell the prices im seeing are reasonable. My local guitar shop (in Scotland) just sold a 1980 Greco eg500 the black beauty les Paul lookalike for £850. Seems to be pretty consistent with the prices I’m seeing on eBay.
look on digimart.net to find the guitar. Then figure out which dealer has the guitar and check the dealer's own website. The bigger stores often sell directly. This is the preferred route since you won't have to pay the 10% Japanese VAT. If the dealer does not do direct international sales then use a proxy service.

For example, here is a listing for a Greco EG500. The listed price in Japan is ¥47000 or around £288-£300.

Last edited:

oracles

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The proxy sites serve as a central search engine across multiple marketplaces like yahoo auctions, Rakuten etc. From there, you search for what you want, and bid on it as you would an eBay auction. Some will have "buy it now" options, but most are live bid and sniper bid options only

KobyFit7

Koby Fitzsimons
Reaction score
look on digimart.net to find the guitar. Then figure out which dealer has the guitar and check the dealer's own website. The bigger stores often sell directly. This is the preferred route since you won't have to pay the 10% Japanese VAT. If the dealer does not do direct international sales then use a proxy service.

For example, here is a listing for a Greco EG500. The listed price in Japan is ¥47000 or around £288-£300.

Ah ok, and these sites like digimart, Jauce etc are totally legit/ safe to buy from?

AltecGreen

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ah ok, and these sites like digimart, Jauce etc are totally legit/ safe to buy from?

Digimart is not a proxy site. It is an online marketplace for musical instruments in Japan. The large majority of stores in Japan will list their guitars on digimart even if they have their own website. You cannot but directly from digimart if you are outside of Japan. You will have to use a proxy.

Jauce is a proxy service. it is not one I use but these proxies all work the same way for the most part. You should examine each service and understand their fee structure and policies. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. I primarily use Zenmarket and occasionally White Rabbit if I need speed and don't care about cost. Stay away from Buyee for guitars.

I use a proxy only when the guitar is at a store that does not do international sales or it is an auction. Most of the time, I'm buying new Japanese dometic market guitars and I deal directly with the store.

KobyFit7

Koby Fitzsimons
Reaction score

here’s one I’ve found on digimart that ticks the boxes for me. What do you guys think of this seller. Seem legit?

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score

here’s one I’ve found on digimart that ticks the boxes for me. What do you guys think of this seller. Seem legit?

Anything on digimart is completely trustworthy. I've personally bought from stereon two times already.

KobyFit7

Koby Fitzsimons
Reaction score
Digimart is not a proxy site. It is an online marketplace for musical instruments in Japan. The large majority of stores in Japan will list their guitars on digimart even if they have their own website. You cannot but directly from digimart if you are outside of Japan. You will have to use a proxy.

Jauce is a proxy service. it is not one I use but these proxies all work the same way for the most part. You should examine each service and understand their fee structure and policies. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. I primarily use Zenmarket and occasionally White Rabbit if I need speed and don't care about cost. Stay away from Buyee for guitars.

I use a proxy only when the guitar is at a store that does not do international sales or it is an auction. Most of the time, I'm buying new Japanese dometic market guitars and I deal directly with the store.
Ah I see now. Thank you for clarifying that’s great. I’ll keep an eye out on some of the proxy sites and see what I come up with. Thanks for the help

lost_horizon

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've bought about 15 guitars through buyee.jp and love them.

Something doesn't turn up, full refund. Everything is insured.

Will open boxes, photograph and repack.

/wrists

enthusiast
Reaction score
Everything has pricing issues these days. We just have to adjust to that.
so that's who bought the jackson stars soloist haha I was wondering

last bid was around $500 + 200 shipping

let me know how the condition ended up being

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Does Stereon do international sales? It didn't look like it from their website.

Hard to say, not a problem I've dealt with. I'd probably just send an email to that contact address, [email protected] , in very simple english and see how it goes. If not, I'm visiting my parents in NY but if OP really wants that guitar and will pay the shipping and some money for time to my gf, she may be up for it.