Evan's Official Transcription thread

Evan89

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

mastapimp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I noticed the Return to Metalopolis book is up for pre-order. Been waiting patiently since you announced it a few years back!

Evan89

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Book #19 is finally here! This book has been over two years in the making, and I'm very happy to be able to share these transcriptions with my fellow guitar nerds. Chris Poland has been one of my favorite guitarists for a long time, and taking a deep dive into this album has given me an even greater appreciation for him. His style and tone are instantly recognizable, and getting to work with him and ask questions about these songs has been a surreal joy. Chris also contributed a great foreword to the book, and the guitar pick with his signature is icing on the cake! Big thanks also to Kragen Lum for helping to bring this project to fruition. Buy it here: https://sublevelrecords.bigcartel.com/category/chris-poland

RTM smaller.jpg

evade

enthusiast
Reaction score
Man I'd pay good money to see Kalmah's 12 Gauge Album transcribed.

Evan89

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
More books coming soon! I'm so excited and grateful to have gotten the chance to work with Katatonia, who have been of my favorite bands since hearing Night Is the New Day in 2009. Rivers of Nihil are a much more recent discovery for me, but I had a great time transcribing the guitars and bass for their most recent album, The Work.

Look for them in the coming weeks at https://www.sheethappenspublishing.com/

Katatonia.jpg

RoN.jpg

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Opeth - In Cauda Venenum is available now! One of my biggest (or loftiest) goals when I got heavily into transcribing was to make accurate Opeth tabs, and it feels great to have worked directly with the band to make that a reality. Hopefully this is just the first of many collaborations with them. Buy it here: https://www.sheethappenspublishing....n-cauda-venenum-complete-guitar-transcription
How are the hal leonard opeth tabs? I never got that book after feeling so jilted at it including most of the songs I had submitted to them as a test for employment (from the one track I saw their transcription of, Bleak, they most definitely hadn't copied mine, though).

I would love to see books for MAYH and Still Life in particular. I never felt good about some of the tabs I did for those since the sound was so fuzzy that some stuff was mainly based off live bootlegs where I could actually hear the bass, etc. I did not have good technology for transcribing back in 2004 in my dorm room with some crummy freeware transcription program that couldn't slow things down without making it sound like trash. Ghost Reveries would be cool too mainly since the chords were so dense on a lot of songs that I just gave up on figuring out exactly what was going on and did something that sounded similar (ex, that climactic riff in Ghost of Perdition, shortly before the transition back into the last acoustic part).

neurosis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
How are the hal leonard opeth tabs? I never got that book after feeling so jilted at it including most of the songs I had submitted to them as a test for employment (from the one track I saw their transcription of, Bleak, they most definitely hadn't copied mine, though).

I would love to see books for MAYH and Still Life in particular. I never felt good about some of the tabs I did for those since the sound was so fuzzy that some stuff was mainly based off live bootlegs where I could actually hear the bass, etc. I did not have good technology for transcribing back in 2004 in my dorm room with some crummy freeware transcription program that couldn't slow things down without making it sound like trash. Ghost Reveries would be cool too mainly since the chords were so dense on a lot of songs that I just gave up on figuring out exactly what was going on and did something that sounded similar (ex, that climactic riff in Ghost of Perdition, shortly before the transition back into the last acoustic part).

I would be really interested in an accurate transcription of the tiny Blackwater Park, Damnation and Deliverance trilogy if any of you have a good recommendation.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Book #19 is finally here! This book has been over two years in the making, and I'm very happy to be able to share these transcriptions with my fellow guitar nerds. Chris Poland has been one of my favorite guitarists for a long time, and taking a deep dive into this album has given me an even greater appreciation for him. His style and tone are instantly recognizable, and getting to work with him and ask questions about these songs has been a surreal joy. Chris also contributed a great foreword to the book, and the guitar pick with his signature is icing on the cake! Big thanks also to Kragen Lum for helping to bring this project to fruition. Buy it here: https://sublevelrecords.bigcartel.com/category/chris-poland

View attachment 106586
I'll be buying this. Thanks for doing it!

Evan89

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I haven't looked through the Hal Leonard Opeth tabs, which is honestly better for my health lol. Looking through old tab books just makes me angry with all the errors I find. To my knowledge, the Opeth books through HL were done without stems (isolated tracks) and no direct involvement from the band. This is usually the case with books from HL and other big publishers. One of the rare exceptions to this is the Dream Theater books from Octavarium to present. They've all been transcribed by Jordan Baker and Ryan Maziarz. JP sends them the isolated guitars and goes over questions/fingerings with them.

With music as dense and layered as Opeth, stems make a huge difference, and editing directly with Fredrik was great. I'm working to make this process more common, and it's good to see that fellow guitarists notice the difference in accuracy. Hopefully we'll get to do books for all the other Opeth albums you guys have mentioned.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I haven't looked through the Hal Leonard Opeth tabs, which is honestly better for my health lol. Looking through old tab books just makes me angry with all the errors I find. To my knowledge, the Opeth books through HL were done without stems (isolated tracks) and no direct involvement from the band. This is usually the case with books from HL and other big publishers. One of the rare exceptions to this is the Dream Theater books from Octavarium to present. They've all been transcribed by Jordan Baker and Ryan Maziarz. JP sends them the isolated guitars and goes over questions/fingerings with them.

With music as dense and layered as Opeth, stems make a huge difference, and editing directly with Fredrik was great. I'm working to make this process more common, and it's good to see that fellow guitarists notice the difference in accuracy. Hopefully we'll get to do books for all the other Opeth albums you guys have mentioned.
Stems would be fascinating for Still Life given the famed recording problems with that one (so many layers of guitars were recorded that you got frequency cancellation). I REALLY wonder what the hell is going on with some of the songs like Serenity Painted Death. I think it's their most interesting one in terms of guitar chord density besides maybe Ghost Reveries. Even the 5.1 version didn't really help me at all in terms of being able to figure out what was going on in some sections.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score

View attachment 106586
I haven't posted here in years but I saw this, I love Chris' music and I am starting to play guitar again after a long LONG time away.

So I bought it.
Thank you!

Evan89

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who has supported the Chris Poland book! It was truly a labor of love, and it's a pretty surreal feeling to finally have a physical copy in my hands. Lots of projects in the works that I'm looking forward to sharing with the guitar community!

1.jpg