Evan's Official Transcription thread

Evan89

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Evan, did the guys in Cannibal give you the isolated tracks for the album and then you transcribed the music by ear? Regardless of how the album was transcribed, I'm gonna buy it. I'm just curious.
All iso tracks. One of the benefits of Erik doing the recording at his studio.

Rosal76

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ordered. Evan, I'm glad you posted about the book coming out last January on this forum because I was planning on getting tab books from other bands from Sheet Happens. Just to mix things up. Different bands and different styles. But because I'm a bigger fan of Cannibal's music than the other bands, I had to get the Cannibal book. So much for mixing things up. LOL. But anyways, can't wait to get my physical copy.

Rosal76

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Got my physical book the other day and very pleased with it. In one of the songs, I do believe Rob Barrett wins the award, not once but twice, for the solos with the least amount of notes in it. LOL. But anyways, can't wait to start covering the music. :hbang:

Evan89

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just reached 5,000 subscribers on my YouTube channel! Thanks to everyone who has subscribed and supported my work. It's been tough to find time to do tab videos lately since I'm juggling a bunch of different book projects, but I have some great ideas planned. In the meantime, would anyone be interested in a livestream where I answer questions and maybe play some riffs? I've never done one and thought it would be a fun way to celebrate.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
I just reached 5,000 subscribers on my YouTube channel! Thanks to everyone who has subscribed and supported my work. It's been tough to find time to do tab videos lately since I'm juggling a bunch of different book projects, but I have some great ideas planned. In the meantime, would anyone be interested in a livestream where I answer questions and maybe play some riffs? I've never done one and thought it would be a fun way to celebrate.

I'd watch a livestream! It'd be especially cool if you could show some of the isolated tracks for some of the tabs you've done, but I understand that might not be possible. Some of the stuff you have tabbed isn't the easiest to get from sight-reading and 30 year death metal production 😅

Evan89

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd watch a livestream! It'd be especially cool if you could show some of the isolated tracks for some of the tabs you've done, but I understand that might not be possible. Some of the stuff you have tabbed isn't the easiest to get from sight-reading and 30 year death metal production 😅
Unfortunately the only iso tracks I can use are ones that are already available to everyone, like the Dream Theater tracks from Jammit. Since I'm usually transcribing from stems, I can't do live transcribing videos when that's the case. I'd be happy to answer any questions about any of the books or even demonstrate parts, though in some cases it's been a few years since I've played them!

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
Unfortunately the only iso tracks I can use are ones that are already available to everyone, like the Dream Theater tracks from Jammit. Since I'm usually transcribing from stems, I can't do live transcribing videos when that's the case. I'd be happy to answer any questions about any of the books or even demonstrate parts, though in some cases it's been a few years since I've played them!
I can live with that. Please practice all of Traced in Air :lol:

Rosal76

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey Evan. I have a few questions for you if you can answer. I know that the guitar players in Cannibal tune down their guitars pretty low. I saw the Youtube video where Scooter (Granville Guitars) showcases Erik Rutans B.C. Rich Ironbird guitar and explains the tunings and string gauges Erik uses and all.

My questions are:

In order to transcribe the Cannibal tab book, did you:

1. Obviously, tune down one of your guitars using thicker strings?

2. Use a drop tune pedal?

3. Both, use thicker strings and a drop tune pedal? I know Eric and Rob use thicker strings but I also know that they both use a drop tune pedal for the G# Cannibal songs.

The reason I'm asking is because I started learning the Cannibal song, Bound and burned which is tuned to A#. I am now entertaining the idea of tuning one of my guitars to that tuning. Not just to match the song tuning but just to try another tuning. The only tunings I have ever used on a 6 string guitar are E and Eb so A# would definitely be different (and low, LOL) for me. I'm just curious as to what your setup was when you transcribed the book Thanks.

mastapimp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey Evan. I have a few questions for you if you can answer. I know that the guitar players in Cannibal tune down their guitars pretty low. I saw the Youtube video where Scooter (Granville Guitars) showcases Erik Rutans B.C. Rich Ironbird guitar and explains the tunings and string gauges Erik uses and all.

My questions are:

3. Both, use thicker strings and a drop tune pedal? I know Eric and Rob use thicker strings but I also know that they both use a drop tune pedal for the G# Cannibal songs.

The reason I'm asking is because I started learning the Cannibal song, Bound and burned which is tuned to A#. I am now entertaining the idea of tuning one of my guitars to that tuning. Not just to match the song tuning but just to try another tuning. The only tunings I have ever used on a 6 string guitar are E and Eb so A# would definitely be different (and low, LOL) for me. I'm just curious as to what your setup was when you transcribed the book Thanks.
The alternative to tuning down would be to run the track through something like TASD or Transcribe! and bump the pitch up several semitones to match a standard tuned guitar. I've done that for stuff I've transcribed that's 1/2 or full step down.

Evan89

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

My questions are:

I took one of my fixed bridge 6-string guitars and strung it with 13-56. Basically a set of 10s, minus the 10 and adding a 56. I primarily play 7-strings and use a 56 for my low B, so I had plenty of those around. One reason I did it this way was to avoid any confusion when going over the songs with Erik and Rob. It's easier if we're both playing 6-strings. The string gauges aren't ideal for G#, but a pretty good compromise when switching between their two tunings.
The alternative to tuning down would be to run the track through something like TASD or Transcribe! and bump the pitch up several semitones to match a standard tuned guitar. I've done that for stuff I've transcribed that's 1/2 or full step down.
I use the transposition feature in Amazing Slow Downer quite often, it's very helpful especially with lower tunings. The way I typically use it is I raise the pitch a full octave, which makes those low notes clearer. I have a bunch of guitars set up in different tunings, so I'm usually playing along/transcribing in the same tuning as the recording.

mastapimp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I took one of my fixed bridge 6-string guitars and strung it with 13-56. Basically a set of 10s, minus the 10 and adding a 56. I primarily play 7-strings and use a 56 for my low B, so I had plenty of those around. One reason I did it this way was to avoid any confusion when going over the songs with Erik and Rob. It's easier if we're both playing 6-strings. The string gauges aren't ideal for G#, but a pretty good compromise when switching between their two tunings.

I use the transposition feature in Amazing Slow Downer quite often, it's very helpful especially with lower tunings. The way I typically use it is I raise the pitch a full octave, which makes those low notes clearer. I have a bunch of guitars set up in different tunings, so I'm usually playing along/transcribing in the same tuning as the recording.
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to use that octave trick if I'm ever trying to dig notes out of the sludge!

xxxyyy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone know if there will be reprintings of the Decapitated tab book.
BTW, why not selling digital copies too?

Evan89

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone know if there will be reprintings of the Decapitated tab book.
BTW, why not selling digital copies too?
I have asked Vogg and management about both of these things. Back when the book was first announced (June of last year), the first run of 100 signed & numbered copies sold out in a few hours, and they did at least 200 more signed copies after that. Not sure if there were more, I'm not involved with the production or sale of the book. I will post updates here when I'm able.

Evan89

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

mastapimp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So happy that I can finally talk about this one! It's still pretty surreal getting to work with some of my long-time favorite artists and biggest influences. Look for it in two weeks at shthppns.com View attachment 105851
Love Opeth and would pay good money for accurate tabs from some of their material pre-Watershed. Will likely pick up a copy of this in a few weeks! Keep up the good work.