ESP Owners Club-Show Us Your ESPs!

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
it does rub me the wrong way that there are no clear shots of the headstock from the front.
there is no info on it online (not too hard to understand, but still, it appears to be from some sort of a series, meaning, there should be something online.
if it is from '91, then the case and guitar are too great a condition. sure, could have been a case queen, but still.
if its a reissue, then again, there should have been something happening online.
It could be a one off custom shop, but i highly doubt it.

to give the selling benefit of the doubt, he has no knowledge on it, as it is his dad, who has passed away. Sure, that makes sense (no sarcasm there), but even then, more doesn't add up than adds up

There is a clear shot of both the front and back of the headstock in the link and neither are encouraging.

soliloquy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
the link doesn't have the front full headstock. It cuts it mid point. Another picture is too grainy/blurry to make out whats happening with it. But yes, still agree, something is off.

EDIT: Neverminded, the second link must have been edited to add the front AFTER i posted it...or maybe i didn't see it the first time around? Just checked it, and sure and behold, there it is. still seems off. Granted, i'm no ESP expert, but still seems off to me.

angl2k

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My god seeing that headstock pick instantly turned me off lol.. thanks guys for pitching in.. the Edwards or Navigator 335s look much more appealing.

soliloquy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My god seeing that headstock pick instantly turned me off lol.. thanks guys for pitching in.. the Edwards or Navigator 335s look much more appealing.

I wish i could say something about Navigators, but i've never had to try one out. Edwards, on the other hand, if they are anything like my LP, will be brilliant guitars! I wont be surprised if the GrassRoots guitars are half decent

Flappydoodle

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
ESP Original Horizon III

This thing is just gorgeous. Plays beautifully. And the build quality is as close to flawless as I can comprehend. I had to wait a few months while they finished building it, and it came from Japan with the absolute best setup I've ever played on a guitar. Even better than Aristides.

A definite step up from E-II. The fretboard is not dyed like an E-II, and the binding quality is better. I attached a close-up. You can see it's super "straight", perfectly aligned, and more or less seamless with the fretboard.

IMG_4768.jpeg
IMG_4770.jpeg IMG_4771.jpeg IMG_4772.jpeg IMG_4781.jpeg

soliloquy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
ESP Original Horizon III

This thing is just gorgeous. Plays beautifully. And the build quality is as close to flawless as I can comprehend. I had to wait a few months while they finished building it, and it came from Japan with the absolute best setup I've ever played on a guitar. Even better than Aristides.

A definite step up from E-II. The fretboard is not dyed like an E-II, and the binding quality is better. I attached a close-up. You can see it's super "straight", perfectly aligned, and more or less seamless with the fretboard.

View attachment 91572
View attachment 91573 View attachment 91574 View attachment 91575 View attachment 91576

is that Pearl White (shimmers/glitter and can look purple or green in certain light), snow white, Olympic white, or some thing else?
gorgeous guitar!

and by 'original', im assuming its a pre E-II guitar? I thought E-II was the same thing, just name change?

NickS

Rocket Surgeon
Reaction score
is that Pearl White (shimmers/glitter and can look purple or green in certain light), snow white, Olympic white, or some thing else?
gorgeous guitar!

and by 'original', im assuming its a pre E-II guitar? I thought E-II was the same thing, just name change?
I believe "Original" is currently the series being produced in Japan that still say ESP on the headstock, versus the Japanese-made E-II. And they are a step above the E-II in quality and appearance.....

Viginez

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
no.
e2 was the esp standard series, regular production models, made in japan.
everything else named esp (now, after e2 was introduced) is now made in the custom shop in japan. the originals are production series and there is also the full customs you can order.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
ESP Original Horizon III

View attachment 91572
View attachment 91573 View attachment 91574 View attachment 91575 View attachment 91576
Oh that is just too sick. Congrats, that’s exceptional.

soul_lip_mike

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
no.
e2 was the esp standard series, regular production models, made in japan.
everything else named esp (now, after e2 was introduced) is now made in the custom shop in japan. the originals are production series and there is also the full customs you can order.

People on the ESP guitar fanatics group say e2 are made in China and assembled in Japan or something.

Flappydoodle

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
gorgeous guitar!

It is pearlescent gold. You can see the gold in some light conditions. Camera doesn’t really do it justice, but you can see it somewhat in the ‘full body’ shot.

People on the ESP guitar fanatics group say e2 are made in China and assembled in Japan or something.

Definitely not. It’s a factory which is in Japan basically. My friend is an endorsed ESP artist and he’s been there, met the staff, seen his signature models in production etc

soliloquy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

it was a long held belief that their Edwards line were also doing the same, but that was disproven. Moreover, even if they are built in China, if the guitars feel/play this well, then it doesn't matter where they are made/built/etc. a good guitar is a good guitar. Regardless of the theory, E-II are Japanese made.

It is pearlescent gold. You can see the gold in some light conditions. Camera doesn’t really do it justice, but you can see it somewhat in the ‘full body’ shot.

Definitely not. It’s a factory which is in Japan basically. My friend is an endorsed ESP artist and he’s been there, met the staff, seen his signature models in production etc

okay, i'm aware of that finish, and it sure is beautiful!!! not that its the same, but my old Peavey had that type of finish, and it was such a subtle beauty as the colors changed accordingly. And super hard to photograph too

Tuned

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
can somebody please explain what the series code MR means? I've found 4 or 5 E-II and Edwards MR models and while most of them appear to look more or less like an M, one looks like a strat with a Snapper style headstock

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
One of my favorites, and probably the best playing guitar I own.

IMG-2397.jpg

Ted Pikul

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This is the best and only reply to this conspiracy.

Another acceptable response is: "They're making incredible guitars in China."

Just got my 2nd E-II. Horizon-III FR, black cherry fade. Same specs as the trans black top coming out in a month or two (or three). Used/mint from a Big Name Online Retailer. I bought it for the bargain, and I've come to love the top. It has really lovely quilting, very lustrous. I tried to catch that in the photos, not sure I succeeded.

IMG-1872-resize-1.jpg

IMG-1878-resize-1.jpg

IMG-1930-resize-2.jpg

IMG-1913-resize-2.jpg

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
Another acceptable response is: "They're making incredible guitars in China."

Just got my 2nd E-II. Horizon-III FR, black cherry fade. Same specs as the trans black top coming out in a month or two (or three). Used/mint from a Big Name Online Retailer. I bought it for the bargain, and I've come to love the top. It has really lovely quilting, very lustrous. I tried to catch that in the photos, not sure I succeeded.

IMG-1872-resize-1.jpg

IMG-1878-resize-1.jpg

IMG-1930-resize-2.jpg

IMG-1913-resize-2.jpg
That’s awesome. HIII is an underrated body style. That fade looks even better than the ones they had in the promos.