Epiphone Jerry Cantrell Wino & Prophecy guitars

Mot90DaD

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Gibson should put their logo on Epiphones and call them a Gibson because they're likely of higher quality.
And you've had that experience with the many Gibsons you've had at home - or is that just Gibson-bashing again?
All my Gibsons were and are qualitatively super - at least equal to my LTD and Schecter models...

Epiphone has here for the price of course super signature guitars on offer!

JimF

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
These Prophecy models are really tempting for folks like me who like the look of LPs but don't find them comfortable to play. A classic looking guitar with modern appointments sounds very appealing.
Especially with the Matt Heafy 7 string is going to be 25.5" scale (my main sticking point with LPs).

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
That white one is really cool looking. It's tempting to buy but then I'd have to have a guitar that said "Epiphone" on it and I'm a petty snob about that.

(Dead horse) Do you think the guys that have Epiphone signatures and play guitars that say "Epiphone" on them as their primary live guitar are actually playing an Epiphone or do they get custom Gibsons with an Epiphone label? I know the quality gap has gotten smaller between some epi/gibson and higher end LTD/ESP but I'd think an endorsed artist would still want the higher end model.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That white one is really cool looking. It's tempting to buy but then I'd have to have a guitar that said "Epiphone" on it and I'm a petty snob about that.

(Dead horse) Do you think the guys that have Epiphone signatures and play guitars that say "Epiphone" on them as their primary live guitar are actually playing an Epiphone or do they get custom Gibsons with an Epiphone label? I know the quality gap has gotten smaller between some epi/gibson and higher end LTD/ESP but I'd think an endorsed artist would still want the higher end model.
That seems highly illogical. The high end Epiphones are great quality so it'd make no sense to do that. Besides it'd be easier to take the Epi out and not have to worry about it getting damaged or stolen. You could send someone to the closest Guitar Center to grab another one for you.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think there's probably a middle-ground. Probably prototypes made in the same factory with a bit more care than mass-produced models. But I don't see Gibson rebadging custom guitars as Epihones.

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
Got the Epiphone Wino in a few days ago. Extremely disappointed with it. Various surface scratches in the finish, small cracks in the ebony board as well as being super dry. There was a small dent on the top in plain sight. Had to take the back cover and input jack apart because I couldn't get a cable to go in at first. Lastly, the pickups sound bad imo, of course that's subjective but just another factor to consider.

Mathemagician

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Heafy absolutely does. Like, check his YouTube or streams, and on tour. He’s super involved in the design as it’s def what he plays.

sylcfh

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
And you've had that experience with the many Gibsons you've had at home - or is that just Gibson-bashing again?
All my Gibsons were and are qualitatively super - at least equal to my LTD and Schecter models...

Epiphone has here for the price of course super signature guitars on offer!

I just don't like the word "Epiphone" very much. QC issues aside, I'd still prefer a Gibson logo.

cardinal

F# Dive Bomber
Reaction score
Got the Epiphone Wino in a few days ago. Extremely disappointed with it. Various surface scratches in the finish, small cracks in the ebony board as well as being super dry. There was a small dent on the top in plain sight. Had to take the back cover and input jack apart because I couldn't get a cable to go in at first. Lastly, the pickups sound bad imo, of course that's subjective but just another factor to consider.
I've been surprised by the number of mid-level guitars with ebony boards (I guess CITES still is impacting rosewood). I was at a GC recently and looked at some and was seriously unimpressed with what seemed like the quality of the ebony. This is not the same looking stuff that I see on expensive ESPs, for example.

And true there are different grades of rosewood you see out there, but at least I don't have to worry about a lower grade of rosewood cracking on me because it was glued to the neck blank too soon.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
These Prophecy models are really tempting for folks like me who like the look of LPs but don't find them comfortable to play. A classic looking guitar with modern appointments sounds very appealing.
Especially with the Matt Heafy 7 string is going to be 25.5" scale (my main sticking point with LPs).
To be honest, depending on what it is that you don't like about LP's, these still may not be for you. I tried one a couple of times. It's somewhere inbetween a les paul and a ESP eclipse feel wise. I think LTD has the better neck profile. Compared to the LP modern and custom I played same day, the Prophecy felt like a whole different guitar in terms of quality. The example I played was quite nice and on par with the 1000 series eclipse I compared it to. Definitely worth a look if single cuts are your thing. Though like you I'm excitedly awaiting the Matt Heafy models so I can try one out as well.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
"Real life" pics looking nice...
lbky5vauxpyxeppujblf.jpg

gfxbdrxtheszj12sgh5g.jpg

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
To be honest, depending on what it is that you don't like about LP's, these still may not be for you. I tried one a couple of times. It's somewhere inbetween a les paul and a ESP eclipse feel wise. I think LTD has the better neck profile. Compared to the LP modern and custom I played same day, the Prophecy felt like a whole different guitar in terms of quality. The example I played was quite nice and on par with the 1000 series eclipse I compared it to. Definitely worth a look if single cuts are your thing. Though like you I'm excitedly awaiting the Matt Heafy models so I can try one out as well.
The Cantrell Prophecy has a different neck carve closer to his Wino, so I'm curious to see how it feels.

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My best friend is getting ready to buy a Wino after I sent the specs to him. He’s been looking at LP Standards for the last few months but we’re both huge Cantrell/AIC fans and once he saw this he got a bit erect.

Biggest reason I’m stoked about that is because the dude doesn’t play the guitars/basses he owns now and if I borrowed it from him for….ever, he wouldn’t even notice!