Emojis of the forum

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
@JJ Rodriguez it's something I've used on other forums for years, as many others have. I think it's also helpful for communicating with people young or old and with varying levels of understanding of the English language. If a tool for communication can be improved l, why not?

It's honestly the only "complaint" I have of this forum, an insignificant one in the overall scope of things really.

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Has this place devolved that much that people need to insert emojis into everything? Maybe I'm just old or something now, but seems like you guys just want to text back and forth emojis like a bunch of teens or something.

This forum is a text-based communication. Text, without inflection or facial cues/body language, can be hard to communicate/discern actual intent, without writing additional sentences...which can be misconstrued as sarcasm. Smileys are a quick was of making intentions more clear.

Which is why this specific selection of smileys is so unfortunate, because most of these existing ones are just self-contained jokes, rather than a shorthand tool for communication.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This forum is a text-based communication. Text, without inflection or facial cues/body language, can be hard to communicate/discern actual intent, without writing additional sentences...which can be misconstrued as sarcasm. Smileys are a quick was of making intentions more clear.

Which is why this specific selection of smileys is so unfortunate, because most of these existing ones are just self-contained jokes, rather than a shorthand tool for communication.

72E4847B-53AC-4F39-8514-59655D750352.gif

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
JJ AND PSP posting again in this thread after God only knows how many years?

:squint:

From what I've heard about MG since I fell off, it seems like it had the same life as this one where it changed hands, felt different, so now I think some of the old guard are migrating back.

This is all speculative of course

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Exactly!

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
From what I've heard about MG since I fell off, it seems like it had the same life as this one where it changed hands, felt different, so now I think some of the old guard are migrating back.

Nah, we have a new home now since VS completely fucked MG. Learn one simple tip to help you save up for guitars at http://fiscalresponsibility.page.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score

I don't know how, but somehow some of us made it over a decade and a half without inserting emojis into every single sentence and could tell when we were being sarcastic.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score

MG got, well, subsumed and mangled by the company Chris sold it to. So we all revolted (let's be honest, we've been pretty revolting for years), and went to metalmusicians.org. Several of us do actually read stuff here.

Really, we're just here because someone shat on the emojis. :lol:

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
Emoji is a part of Unicode added by the Japanese because they were given way more space than they needed for their language characters and so filled it up with emoticons. Unicode is an text encoding standard and all programs/apps/websites up to date with Unicode will share the same Emoji; be it Whatsapp, Facebook, iOS, Android, Discord etc.

This forum doesn't have an Emoji keyboard, it has a keyboard of custom emoticons/smileys. Why Emoji work or don't on a platform is much the same as why sometimes you copy ' and paste &#__. They're different languages.

The reason different apps have different Emoji is because they are essentially using different fonts. We all agree what an alphabet looks like, but Facebook says electric guitar is a Languedoc and Android says it's a deformed strat. So when chatting through Messenger all guitars are Languedocs, but when texting between an Android and iPhone we'll have different experiences.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Emoji is a part of Unicode added by the Japanese because they were given way more space than they needed for their language characters and so filled it up with emoticons. Unicode is an text encoding standard and all programs/apps/websites up to date with Unicode will share the same Emoji; be it Whatsapp, Facebook, iOS, Android, Discord etc.

This forum doesn't have an Emoji keyboard, it has a keyboard of custom emoticons/smileys. Why Emoji work or don't on a platform is much the same as why sometimes you copy ' and paste &#__. They're different languages.

The reason different apps have different Emoji is because they are essentially using different fonts. We all agree what an alphabet looks like, but Facebook says electric guitar is a Languedoc and Android says it's a deformed strat. So when chatting through Messenger all guitars are Languedocs, but when texting between an Android and iPhone we'll have different experiences.
When ASCII was extended to 8-bit in 1970, they had a few extra characters that they didn't know what to do with, so they added the first emoji ☺/☻

When I started programming on PC in the 80's, that emoji was the generic player avatar for any games programmed in text graphics mode. :lol: