E-II M-II 7B stained my fingers black (and other impressions)

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Warning: I'm basically here to bitch and talk smack. Sorry in advance.

Went to Big Boss Kyoto and played the E-II M-II 7B baritone in pearl white. It was my first time to ever play an evertune. The guitar played great, but they had the evertune set up so that you could NOT bend (the pitch). I asked the guy if he set it up that way on purpose, because I thought you were ideally supposed to be able to still do some bending. He insisted that you could and that they had it set correctly, then proceeded to try and fail just as I had before I asked him :lol:
Then he told me that if I like bending I shouldn't get an evertune anyway. Maybe he's right.

So I play this guitar for like 2-3 minutes, and my fingers were stained black. I couldn't even wipe it off with alcohol and wet wipes. I washed my hand several times at a public bathroom and that lightened it a bit so that I wasn't afraid that I would stain everything I touched, but still my fingertips looked dirty.

It's like a $3000 guitar. I feel bad for the sucker who buys it without playing it first. I wonder if someone would play it, get their fingers stained, and then still buy it. I mean, it is an otherwise perfect guitar, but imagine dropping 3 grand on a brand new guitar and then the first thing you gotta do is scrub the neck. Considering how difficult it was just to clean my fingers, I gotta imagine getting that neck to where it won't stain you anymore would be an absolute chore.

Anyone ever played a guitar that stained your fingers? Anyone have this guitar? Did it stain your fingers?

Wucan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've gotten my finger stained from playing display guitars before. It could be darkening dye (for the pitch black ebony look) or buffing compound that wasn't wiped off properly. If the guitar has sat in store for a while without suitable climate control it could also be rust/oxidation from the strings.

The ET Viper I have also came unbendable, I had to set it up myself to get to the "sweet spot". It's still harder to bend than a normal guitar with the same string gauges but a guitar tech should easily get it to an acceptable spot, the guy at the store either doesn't know or doesn't want to bother without a purchase first.

Lopp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Warning: I'm basically here to bitch and talk smack. Sorry in advance.

Went to Big Boss Kyoto and played the E-II M-II 7B baritone in pearl white. It was my first time to ever play an evertune. The guitar played great, but they had the evertune set up so that you could NOT bend (the pitch). I asked the guy if he set it up that way on purpose, because I thought you were ideally supposed to be able to still do some bending. He insisted that you could and that they had it set correctly, then proceeded to try and fail just as I had before I asked him :lol:
Then he told me that if I like bending I shouldn't get an evertune anyway. Maybe he's right.
Yup. I owned an E-II with an Evertune and sold it because it was such a pain to bend.

They probably originally set it up to allow bending, but that requires putting the adjustable saddles in the sweet spot on the edge of going sharp. The problem is the saddles get out of the sweet spot to keep the strings in tune as temperature, humidity, etc. tries to pull them out of tune. This results in the bending issue returning. In an area where the climate changes often, the ET requires daily adjustment to keep it in the spot.

So I play this guitar for like 2-3 minutes, and my fingers were stained black. I couldn't even wipe it off with alcohol and wet wipes. I washed my hand several times at a public bathroom and that lightened it a bit so that I wasn't afraid that I would stain everything I touched, but still my fingertips looked dirty.
That is deliberate. ESP stains their ebony necks black. Some people like that. I did... The dark black neck, not the finger stains. The stain goes away after playing the E-II for a day or so.

It's like a $3000 guitar. I feel bad for the sucker who buys it without playing it first. I wonder if someone would play it, get their fingers stained, and then still buy it. I mean, it is an otherwise perfect guitar, but imagine dropping 3 grand on a brand new guitar and then the first thing you gotta do is scrub the neck. Considering how difficult it was just to clean my fingers, I gotta imagine getting that neck to where it won't stain you anymore would be an absolute chore.

Anyone ever played a guitar that stained your fingers? Anyone have this guitar? Did it stain your fingers?
Yup. My E-II was an Eclipse 7 Evertune straight out of the shipping box, so it had never been played and it caused the finger stain. Like I mentioned it went away after a bit of playing. I liked the dark neck, but hated the Evertune.

Last edited:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
WTF, lol, he said you shouldn’t buy an ET if you want to bend? As if anyone would want a guitar that traded staying in tune better for eliminating the vast majority of guitar parts ever written. I hade when people pretend they know something they don’t, because they’re not comfortable saying, “I don’t know.”

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
My Jackson stained my fingers black for a few weeks. It's a symptom of everyone wanting to dye the ebony jet black rather than let it be naturally beautiful. My schecter did not stain my hands and has a natural looking ebony fretboard with lighter areas than stained ones.

If it bothered you,.just give it a good cleaning. Certainly wouldn't stop me from getting a guitar I really wanted

cardinal

F# Dive Bomber
Reaction score
FWIW I bought a brand new out of the box E-II a few weeks ago and yeah it left my fingertips slightly blackened for a bit but it's fine now.

Years ago I bought a Ibanez J-Custom with a rosewood board that did the same thing. It's board was also essentially black.

Chances are, if the board is uniformly jet black, it's been dyed and this will happen for a bit but it stops pretty soon.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Also, you can totally bend just fine on an evertune. You just set it right on the edge of the 2nd zone and you can bend for days, its definitely not as expressive as a hardtail or tremolo, as you have to kind of pull the string into bend mode (hence why I say to put it right on the edge of the zone), but to say you can't bend is just ridiculous.

I just find them kind of dead sounding, at least the one guitar I've owned with an ET was.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score

wfx80.jpg