dumb question about cabs

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by gunch, Jul 10, 2019.

1. gunch

gunch chungus

If I ever found myself lucky enough to get an unloaded ported 1x12 bass cab for cheap would it work with a normal guitar 12 inch speaker and be suitable for guitar use?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It will work in the technical sense, but ported bass dimension cabs aren't usually ideal for many guitar tones, especially modern metal.

You could probably make it work with amp and speaker choice, but you'll have to play around with it.

There's just a bunch of variables.

gunch likes this.
  3. gunch

gunch chungus

In that case how different are bass and guitar ported 1x12s on the inside? I tried googling this but it just came up with rigtalk threads like “duuude use whatever you want lmao”

4. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

It's all about cab size vs speaker specs vs port dimensions and length etc etc. The port tunes the bass response of the cab whilst at the same time causing upper resonances. Many variables

gunch likes this.
  5. gunch

gunch chungus

Damn alright. I still want a ported 1x12 if I ever get an anolog rig but I thought I could be smart and save some bucks on a bass 1x12 shell

6. Soya

Soya Poor person

If the price is right, can always simply block the port.

Gmork likes this.
  7. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

At home volumes itd probably sound fine..... I think. I use to use a peavey 1x18 bass cab for guitar at home and it sounded awesome (for modern metal type stuff) and currently i have a randall 1x15 + 2x12 thats ported and sounds great. Technically its still a guitar cab but perhaps note worthy for obvious reasons

8. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Internally there isn’t gonna be much difference between a bass and guitar cab. The major difference is the size (bass cab will usually be larger) and the port (guitar cabs typically aren’t ported).

Bass cabs kinda follow the same conventions of hifi or FRFR cab design. The designer will usually start with the speaker they want to use and then design the cabinet around the speaker specs. Choosing a size, port size and depth, that work with the speaker to keep the response flat and prevent damage to the speaker.

Guitar cabs tend not to follow any of these conventions as guitar speakers are far from ideal for flat response and guitar cabs are also way off. But a lot of stuff is ‘done wrong’ from a technical standpoint for guitar, and that’s why it sounds the way it does. That’s why plenty of people tend to swap and mix speakers in the guitar world but that isn’t really a thing in the bass world.

Guitar cabs that are tuned to the speaker tend to be hit-or-miss in whether they actually sound good. The TL806 Thiele cabs were tuned for the EVM12L speakers and while some people like them, a lot of people don’t. Some people change to different speakers (which don’t match the tuning of the cab) and then prefer the sound.

So can a ported bass 1x12 be used for guitar? Yeah probably, you may prefer the sound by blocking the port. Then it will probably just be an oversized 1x12.

But used guitar cabs already loaded with speakers tend to go so cheap, you’ll probably spend more money buying an empty cab and buying speakers for it.

laxu likes this.
  9. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I mean if this thing is "holy shitballs cheap", grab it and see what's what.