Drum Mic Signal Issue

Discussion in 'Drums & Percussion' started by MerlinTKD, Jun 10, 2019.

1. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory Contributor

So I got a set of CAD Stage7 mics for Christmas (yay girlfriend :D) and they've been a godsend, but I've always had a weird issue with the floor tom mic no being as loud as the others. I figured it had something to do with the drum, the frequencies, whatever... finally got around to messing with it yesterday and realized I'm getting almost no signal from it. Not *no* signal, but an incredibly weak one.

I'm running all the mics through a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 that I use both as a monitor mix while I'm playing and a recording interface; I thought maybe it was the cable or the input, so I swapped things around (including trying both the phantom powered and the unpowered bank), but it's definitely the mic. When I adjust the level for whichever channel I've got it plugged into, there's no effect.

Now the reason I say 'almost no signal' is that I can hear it when I scratch on the grille (albeit faintly) and see a single bar of response on the respective level meter, but it's possible I'm just getting bleed-over; going to go to the practice space tomorrow and isolate it, see what happens.

Assuming it's not completely dead, is there anything that would cause minimal signal that was unaffected by channel level increases?

2. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Sounds like a dead mic. If they're new, just exchange them. If they're used, open 'er up and its probably a very small cord that needs to be soldered back on.

MerlinTKD likes this.