Dream Theater

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by p0ke, May 23, 2018.

1. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

I think I saw them play it live once since Mangini has been in the band. I remember that Portnoy's obnoxious backing vocals were absent through that whole section near the end and it was better without them.

2. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I saw them on the Falling Into Infinity tour with Sherinian, and it was incidentally the final tour Petrucci did with the Ibanez Picasso's. Loved it, I too though, think that LaBrie is the weakest link, Sherinian didn't get near the chance to shine as he does in BCC or SOA. Myung is the must under celebrated member of the band in my opinion.

Highlights from that record for me are "Lines in the Sand" guesting Dug Pinnick, and "Trail of Tears".

I really like Mangini in the short time that he's been in the band. I appreciate his humility, but his bold risk in some areas also. Solid player, humble heart. No pretense.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    StevenC and scrub like this.
  3. scrub

scrub SS.org Regular

Myung is under-celebrated. I think partly because he is so dang quiet and reserved. Barely any interviews or videos, etc. Just his personality. He is an absolute monster. Deserves much more notoriety.

groverj3 and wat like this.
  4. Frosty the Snowperson

Frosty the Snowperson Weirdo

They are a very good band. Probably one of the best. Maybe they cause some arguments with musicians, but everyone will notice them.

5. wat

wat SS.org Regular

Falling Into Infinity has grown on me over the years and as I get older I find myself REALLY being able to relate to the lyrics in ways that I didn't when I was younger.

Actually I find myself relating more to a lot of dreamtheater's lyrics as I get older and especially after my dad died. I'm not really a lyrics person and DT have their fair share of stinkers but they can be pretty real at times.

bostjan likes this.
  6. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Awake
    Images and Words
    A Change of Seasons
    Scenes From a Memory/Falling into Infinity
    A Dramatic Turn of Events
    When Dream and Day Unite
    Everything else

I wish Sherinian was still in the band. Ruddess is great in Liquid Tension Experiment where we're only listening for shreds, but as a song writer I'll have anyone else. I'd love to have Kevin Moore back in the band too, because he wrote all the best songs. Having Ruddess and Petrucci as the principal song writers is a waste of time.

Portnoy was probably right trying to get the band to take a hiatus.

chewpac and scrub like this.
  7. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I always liked those gems on FiI, but I know what you mean. I think I related more with the whole "I'm struggling with my own internal issues" themes when I was 17-early twenties, and now I relate a lot more to the songs with deeper emotional meanings and stories to tell. Then they have stuff like:

Aside from the lyrics - a great song, but damn...those look like a kid wrote them, honestly.

+1

I think if they would have temporarily split up and got involved with some other projects more-or-less-full-time, it would have done their songwriting some good. Oh well.

8. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I find Myung is.... pretty much correctly-rated, rather than underrated or overrated. He's good, but hasn't really done anything where I thought "man, that was awesome" or "I wish I could do that" or really contributed a ton to what I value from the songs. He's good, but he's not not exciting to me. Good, in the sense that he delivers what the song needs, but not really much more than that, IMO. He deserves the praise he gets for sure, buuuuuuut meh.

9. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Yeah, Myung is correctly rated based on what actually makes it onto any of the records. He doesn't tend to do anything inspiring or step out of the comfort zone of the songs or anything. Obviously he's one of the most technically capable bassists out there, but as far as being inspiring or interesting? Rarely. One of the only times I heard him on something that shoved him front and center was a Gordian Knot album, and he's playing stick there! Speaking of which, his stick playing on New Millennium and (I think?) Take Away My Pain is really, really dull. Even the Dave Matthews guy sounded like he had a better command of the instrument.

Him being placed front and center on bass just doesn't happen on DT records except for the couple of bass solos that just tend to sound like note flailing. SEE: Dance of Eternity.

Another reason WDADU is awesome is that is the only album where the mix accentuates his parts, and he's also doing more fills and harmonics and things like that.

10. bostjan

Myung is a monster bass player, don't get me wrong, but he's also one of the least meticulous ones in the band, playing-wise.

Also, I've heard it said a thousand times by a thousand different people that Myung is under-rated. So, basically he's recognized for not being recognized for how good he is, probably more than any other person on Earth. Let that entire notion sink in.

scrub likes this.
  11. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

Guess I have nothing more to do than to simply exist in this thread to show that I quite appreciate this band.

Awake is one of maybe a handful of 10/10s for me.

StevenC likes this.
  12. bostjan

I guess that's one way to further the discussion :|

Maybe, like, I dunno, what's your favourite song?

"Under a Glass Moon" is my favourite solo (I know I said that already)
    "Disappear" is my favourite beautifully depressing song, but "Space-Dye Vest" is a close second.
    "The Dance of Eternity" is my favourite instrumental.
    "In the Name of God" is also a favourite.

13. The Mirror

Dude. Just look at my username and avatar...

Herrick and scrub like this.
  14. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

You're the best Dream Theater song

scrub and The Mirror like this.
  15. The Mirror

I'll do my best everyday.

DunDunDun - DunDunDun - DunDunDun

scrub, bostjan and StevenC like this.
  16. wat

wat SS.org Regular

That is a sexy bass line at 11:23 though. Probably my favorite myung part and one of my favorite bass parts ever too.

17. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

This thread made me listen to DT for the first time in a while. I&W, 6:00 and Behind The Veil. Thanks you!

And while I didn't get to it, I reckon Voices is really up there with their best- and one of my favourite JP solos too. I'd love to see this live again (as I did back in the 90s).

18. Sephiroth952

Sephiroth952 Ibby Fanboy

Talking about the best DT solos.

groverj3 likes this.
  19. bostjan

Hmm

You forgot to start with "Screetle-teetle." :lol:

And kids nowadays think Gojira is the band that invented that sound.

Exchanger and groverj3 like this.
  20. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

I first got into DT because my dad had Myung's bass lesson on VHS, despite my dad not even playing bass. I think that was Metropolis II era or so. Growing up on Rush, Lifeson has always been a huge influence on me and Petrucci is right there too. That being said...

Man what the fuck happened to this band. Rudess keyboard shredding is actually probably even worse than Labrie. I've seen DT twice and it seems in the last decade Labrie has managed to regress even more. The Astonishing has some really cool moments, but overall is just so long and cheesy. Maybe Portnoy's most important role was reining in Petrucci's propensity for turning into a cheese factory. I still don't think Mangini is allowed to write anything. I remember seeing a rig rundown type thing with Myung where he was talking about his bass harmonizer pedal, because apparently he does that sometimes. Still never heard it lmao

At least we still have the old stuff.

Herrick likes this.