Dream Theater are now grammy winners

Sermo Lupi

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Right.

Well, 2012 was not only ten years ago, but a hell of a lot has changed since then.

But it's no surprise to anyone that the Grammies are basically just a bunch of meaningless "let's pat ourselves on the back" awards.

I'm actually really happy for DT. I just think it's a little sad that they release great album after great album and get no nods for it, then, as their releases get more milquetoast, they start getting nominations, culminating in their most boring album being the one that finally wins. Not surprised, at all, but just a little disappointed.

But feel free to come back in ten or twelve years, when Gojira are at the most boring in their careers and win a Grammy and point that out again.
In the context of Dream Theater, 2012 really is not so long ago. They've basically been releasing the same album for a decade.

I wouldn't say the Grammies are meaningless either. They don't mean much to me, at least not in the sense that I'll go out of my way to listen to Grammy-nominated albums thinking that they're the best music out there, but it is one of the highest honours a musician can receive. Portnoy said it best when he called it a career achievement that he partly resented (because good bands never seem to win) and also coveted because it's maybe the most significant award in music. Especially for a band like Dream Theater, who had an incredible impact on their genre with almost no formal recognition to show for it, I sincerely doubt they'll see it as a "pat ourselves on the back award".

Anyway, yes, see you in twelve years for the Gojira win, I guess :lol:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
In the context of Dream Theater, 2012 really is not so long ago. They've basically been releasing the same album for a decade.

I wouldn't say the Grammies are meaningless either. They don't mean much to me, at least not in the sense that I'll go out of my way to listen to Grammy-nominated albums thinking that they're the best music out there, but it is one of the highest honours a musician can receive. Portnoy said it best when he called it a career achievement that he partly resented (because good bands never seem to win) and also coveted because it's maybe the most significant award in music. Especially for a band like Dream Theater, who had an incredible impact on their genre with almost no formal recognition to show for it, I sincerely doubt they'll see it as a "pat ourselves on the back award".

Anyway, yes, see you in twelve years for the Gojira win, I guess :lol:
That's my point, though. In the past ten years, the world has been through huge cultural changes, but the DT album that wins a grammy has nothing new to say to the world.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
In case of DT, I see the grammy more as a lifetime achievement award than achievement for the latest album being amazing (even though the latter is exactly what it says). Also IMO all the nominated metal bands were ones that have been doing the same thing for ten years or so - yes, even Gojira, as much as I love them.

Either way, I'm super happy for DT and they deserve the recognition even though the latest album wasn't that special.

Last edited:

AMOS

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's my point, though. In the past ten years, the world has been through huge cultural changes, but the DT album that wins a grammy has nothing new to say to the world.
It must be his beard products or Bourbon then..