Dream Theater are now grammy winners

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Best original song in 2000, for a forgettable song from the (then) new animated Tarzan movie. That year he was up against the South Park movie, with Blame Canada, which was the favourite. However, the Academy disagreed, and handed the gong to Collins.

And that is why, a) Trey Parker and Matt Stone fucking hate Phil Collins, and b) every time Phil Collins is on South Park he is ALWAYS shown clutching an Oscar in every single shot he is in.
Right, so no one knows why. Either of us could have looked up the name of the song, but neither of us cared enough to do so, and no one else should, either. :lol:

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
They finally collected enough pigeons to win an award. How nice.

Dooky

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Actual shade would be mentioning that Louis CK also won one.
vv0qexxhjhu.gif
Is this gif taken from when the pedo Roman Polanski one an Oscar?

Sermo Lupi

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Had to laugh at some of these responses. When Dream Theater was nominated in 2012 and 2014 and lost to the Foo Fighters and Black Sabbath, it was all the same comments except that DT was the "true metal band" still making good music who deserved the award while the Foo Fighters and Black Sabbath had sold out ages ago. Same with Megadeth's win in 2017 over Gojira and Periphery.

Dream Theater may not be everyone's cup of tea anymore, but good for them. Who cares if it's basically a lifetime achievement award so long as you're getting your dues. It's just a shame to see Portnoy miss out on his share of the credit.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Had to laugh at some of these responses. When Dream Theater was nominated in 2012 and 2014 and lost to the Foo Fighters and Black Sabbath, it was all the same comments except that DT was the "true metal band" still making good music who deserved the award while the Foo Fighters and Black Sabbath had sold out ages ago. Same with Megadeth's win in 2017 over Gojira and Periphery.

Dream Theater may not be everyone's cup of tea anymore, but good for them. Who cares if it's basically a lifetime achievement award so long as you're getting your dues. It's just a shame to see Portnoy miss out on his share of the credit.

I think the reception would have been a bit warmer if it was their last album. DOT was really well received, while the more recent one... not as much it seems?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score

Right.

Well, 2012 was not only ten years ago, but a hell of a lot has changed since then.

But it's no surprise to anyone that the Grammies are basically just a bunch of meaningless "let's pat ourselves on the back" awards.

I'm actually really happy for DT. I just think it's a little sad that they release great album after great album and get no nods for it, then, as their releases get more milquetoast, they start getting nominations, culminating in their most boring album being the one that finally wins. Not surprised, at all, but just a little disappointed.

But feel free to come back in ten or twelve years, when Gojira are at the most boring in their careers and win a Grammy and point that out again.

AMOS

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I see this as them finally getting recognition, so many technically inferior bands have won this award in past years. Spiral Architect might be technically superior to DT but they never made it past the club scene.

HoneyNut

Regular
Reaction score
It's stupid. After DT releases more than 10 albums ( I forget how many ), does so many changes and improvements in their recording and gear , stays cohesive , not to mention - inspire a generation of musicians who are dedicated fans of music AND instruments, yet this is how long it took for them to win a Grammy.

It took that much of an effort. We do it for passion, and love, I get it, not for the accredition, sure. But this surely sucks. I wish he just pissed on them instead. I wonder how he can still actually look forward to it.

I mean, do these guys actually still look forward to it? Do they aim for it? I know some bands do - Mastodon, Gojira , something kinda gives it away that they are aiming for it. But the amount of effort it takes. My question is, dear JP and crew, how do you not get bitter? Or maybe you are bitter but better managed? Or does it all go in the barbells and the gym? And the beard? You have thick skin to actually aim for one, not to mention, face critics (like me) online, and still do it?

DT deserves it, and congrats to them. Great performances every night. Good for them. Wish them all the recognition, beyond the niche of prog metal .

Matt08642

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's stupid. After DT releases more than 10 albums ( I forget how many ), does so many changes and improvements in their recording and gear , stays cohesive , not to mention - inspire a generation of musicians who are dedicated fans of music AND instruments, yet this is how long it took for them to win a Grammy.

It took that much of an effort. We do it for passion, and love, I get it, not for the accredition, sure. But this surely sucks. I wish he just pissed on them instead. I wonder how he can still actually look forward to it.

I mean, do these guys actually still look forward to it? Do they aim for it? I know some bands do - Mastodon, Gojira , something kinda gives it away that they are aiming for it. But the amount of effort it takes. My question is, dear JP and crew, how do you not get bitter? Or maybe you are bitter but better managed? Or does it all go in the barbells and the gym? And the beard? You have thick skin to actually aim for one, not to mention, face critics (like me) online, and still do it?

DT deserves it, and congrats to them. Great performances every night. Good for them. Wish them all the recognition, beyond the niche of prog metal .

I'd imagine non-radio bands don't give a fuck about the Grammys lmao.

Crungy

I've made up mah mahnd, I ain't wastin no mo tahm
Reaction score
It would be cool to win one and that's cool DT got one but the ceremony has been a bore for well over a decade. I'm amazed any award shows are still televised tbh.

AMOS

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Non commercial bands have never done well at the Grammy's. DT does have a huge following that buy their CD's and Merch simply because they're loyal fans, and this happens with virtually no air play. So what they've accomplished considering the facts is amazing and they did deserve a Grammy because they built their empire on hard work, not because they have big tits or sell pink Schecter guitars.