Dimebucker vs BL USA L500XL comparison

KnightBrolaire

mortuus intus
Reaction score
I got bored and took some of my DIs from my 6 string shootout and ran them through Neural's Omega Granophyre vst with ML Studio Mesa 4x12 IRs. I used the same guitar for making both DIs (my PRS Mike Mushok).

The dimebucker gets a bad rap but it was a fine pickup imo. It just has a particular voicing that seems better suited to djent than Pantera type stuff tbh.

I vastly prefer the L500XL tbh, but ymmv.
If you want to mess around with the DIs they're in the DI thread and my 6 string shootout thread.

Last edited:

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had the Dimebucker in a guitar and hated how it sounded... Turns out it was the guitar itself. Tried a lot of pickups but could never get a sound I liked. Need to try it again eventually.

Abominorg the Grotesque

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You gotta remember Dime played 24.75" scale guitars too. A slightly "djenty" quality in the pickup combined with the mahogany and the shorter scale would produce a tone reminiscent of Reinventing the Steel and the Damageplan album. It might be overkill with the 27.7" Mike Mushok.

Zhysick

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't like neither of both for my style even though they sound great with that sharp attack and for me the Dime sounds clearly with more bass response and a bit sharper high end while the BL is a bit more snappy if that makes any sense considering I said the Dime sounds sharper...

Anyhow, what I really want to say is that the Thin Lizzy kinda riff in that loooooooooooow tunning sounds AMAZING.

hensh!n

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I got bored and took some of my DIs from my 6 string shootout and ran them through Neural's Omega Granophyre vst with ML Studio Mesa 4x12 IRs. I used the same guitar for making both DIs (my PRS Mike Mushok).

The dimebucker gets a bad rap but it was a fine pickup imo. It just has a particular voicing that seems better suited to djent than Pantera type stuff tbh.

I vastly prefer the L500XL tbh, but ymmv.
If you want to mess around with the DIs they're in the DI thread and my 6 string shootout thread.

They sound fairly close to my ears. My preference would likely be the 500XL, as it sounds a tad bit brighter. With the Dimebucker sounding slightly darker and more saturated. They both sound good though.

hamoftruth

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The BLUSA seems to have a much more natural frequency curve - even if they both have that hairy aggressive high-mid thing going on, the Dimebucker has it to an almost absurd degree.

The Bill n Becky L500XL is another variation yet, with slightly wider blades it seems even less spiky in the upper mids and a bit fuller all around. I need a good slimy ML to put them in, but I'm waiting for either prices to become slightly more reasonable or for whatever becomes of "Dime Guitars" to present itself.

Dumple Stilzkin

Tom foolery is my middle name.
Reaction score
Accurate, my Horizon has a Dimebucker that quacks like a duck. I need to switch it out for something else.

cowboystring

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have the USA L-500XL in my Dinky Pro. It's decent. I wouldn't buy another one though

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Bump because I did what I said and got a Dimebucker so I can throw my two cents in. :lol:

I actually got an BLUSA L500XL first and was pretty satisfied with it. Got a Dimebucker on a whim because it was cheap and put them against each other.... and I preferred the Dimebucker. Lower output, less bass, more high mid attack. Given both were in a baritone guitar tuned down to Drop G#, the Dimebucker was much better for my needs, so it stayed.

So I can confirm I just didn't like the guitar they were in. :lol:

lewis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Bump because I did what I said and got a Dimebucker so I can throw my two cents in. :lol:

I actually got an BLUSA L500XL first and was pretty satisfied with it. Got a Dimebucker on a whim because it was cheap and put them against each other.... and I preferred the Dimebucker. Lower output, less bass, more high mid attack. Given both were in a baritone guitar tuned down to Drop G#, the Dimebucker was much better for my needs, so it stayed.

Good to know the dimebucker sounds great in a Bari.
That's what I was planning.
30 incher tuned F and lower

KnightBrolaire

mortuus intus
Reaction score
I literally had it in a baritone in the OP video and in my 6 string shootout thread lol

Interesting, for the mushok I found the dimebucker to feel greasier and quackier. I thought the l500xl was better tbh. The dimebucker just wasn't my thing.

wakjob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I only ever tried the regular L-500 when I went through a Nuno phase years back... I should revisit Bill's pickups.

Never like the Dimebucker. Reminds me of D-activator. Not in tone or Eq or anything, but they are both just hot and "vanilla". No defining character to them.

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I was reading something recently that said the Dimebucker sounded a lot like the Duncan Custom, but just way more output. What do you think about that opinion?

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was reading something recently that said the Dimebucker sounded a lot like the Duncan Custom, but just way more output. What do you think about that opinion?
...Actually sorta accurate the more I think about it. A little more complex than that, but I gotta make that comparison one day. They both got that high mid clanky thing going on.

SubsonicDoom99

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, my experience with the Dimebucker is similar, I have it right now in a baritone tuned down to G.
I actually like that it has that upper-mid thing happening, really works well with this tuning and heavier strings.
The L500XL is a very good pickup in it's own right but the Dimebucker just wound up being tighter on the low end and what I was needing for this guitar.
And while I can see some similarities in the mids between the Custom and the Dime, I think those two pickups still overall feel pretty different from each other.
So people expecting the Dimebucker to sound just like a hotter Custom might want to proceed with caution. I think the Dime has it's own character.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm actually kinda curious now so I'm gonna buy both. I had a Custom but ended up selling it because I put another pickup in the guitar. And I don't wanna take the Dimebucker out of my baritone because it's the only pickup I got that fits in a P90 route. :lol:

So yeah gonna eventually try to get both an SH-5 and Dimebucker. I can already imagine the Dimebucker being more aggressive and the SH-5 having a bigger low end, but they both have that low-mid scoop and bright attack going on.
EDIT: After I posted this, I scooped up an SH-5. :lol:

Last edited: