Digitech Whammy 5 vs Axe FX IIIs effects?

Axiom451

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have an Axe FX III and i Plan on buying a Digitech Whammy 5 for effects (divebomb, shifted effects, Drop tuning etc)

Is the Whammy worth it or am I better off using the Axe FX effects with an additional Pedal?

Its still an iconic piece of gear that many Bands I Love utilized so thats +1 but i definitely want the best tone experience

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I would just use the axe but dont use the whammy

Axiom451

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would just use the axe but dont use the whammy
So buy Something Like the Moog Expression pedal and im Set for the effects i need?

I want it mostly for shifted Chords and Riff Sections ala Josh Travis. Dissonant tapping effects i'll do with the Axe anyway

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
So buy Something Like the Moog Expression pedal and im Set for the effects i need?

I want it mostly for shifted Chords and Riff Sections ala Josh Travis. Dissonant tapping effects i'll do with the Axe anyway
Likely. I use the pitch shift to put all my guitars 5 steps down when i want. No issues.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Get an expression pedal for your axe3, it will be of use with an army of stuff (Whammy, Wah, special effects). I bought two Fractal pedals last week and am having immense fun with them. For exemple I have a patch where it goes from no gain, compressor and reverb to full gain, no compressor and delay, with just one expression pedal. Haven't bought any gear since I got my axe III at release, except a FC12 and the aforementioned pedals. I don't see myself buying anything else at that point.

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You don’t need the whammy—as has been said the Axe can do all that and do it well. For users of the FM3 and FM9 it can be worth considering an external pedal.

I’m considering adding a Drop with my FM9 because the FM’s only allow you to use one Pitch block—that’s where the virtual capo is. It’s also where you have the Dual Detune. I’d like to be able to use both of those sometimes.

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The FAS Whammy is great. There *is* a tiny bit of warble in the Digitech that in Classic mode that isn’t present in the Fractal, but I really don’t think it’s worth the extra effort unless you’re particularly fond of that warble.

If I’m recording a final take of something using a whammy, I’ll usually plug mine in, if not, I just use the III/FM9 Whammy.

And yeah, @Deadpool_25, I’m probably going to put my whammy on my FM9 board. The pitch block will mostly get used for the Virtual Capo. Hell, if the Turbo allowed for 2 pitch blocks, that might be reason enough for me to upgrade.

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
And yeah, @Deadpool_25, I’m probably going to put my whammy on my FM9 board. The pitch block will mostly get used for the Virtual Capo. Hell, if the Turbo allowed for 2 pitch blocks, that might be reason enough for me to upgrade.
Yeah I really wish they had a 2nd pitch block or even just put the VC in its own block on the FM9 and FM9 Turbo.

And speaking of the Turbo, it’s possible I have one on the way. Hypothetically.