Deegatron's 2019 Summer Build Challenge

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Deegatron, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

Meh. Closing in on a year with the CNC and I'm finding it fits into the workflow best for templating and some cavity work anyway. I built a couple things with the CNC doing as much as possible, and it honestly does it slower and sometimes makes dumb mistakes I wouldn't make (like losing it's Z axis and routing a pocket 1/2" deeper than it's supposed to). It's great for precision work and things relative to one another but as long as I've got a template or two, I'll fire something out with the bandsaw, plunge router and drum sander in less time.

Sorry for the derail, great progress so far!

2. Deegatron

Deegatron SS.org Regular

Started working on inlay and fretboard.
    [​IMG]

This is my inlay setup....
    The blue tube comes from my compressor across the shop. I just crank the pressure down and have a shutoff valve close by so I can stop/start the flow. this blows away the dust so I can wear a mask. helps tremendously.
    20190604_202810_resized.jpg
    Don't mind the "Extra Fine" blades there. I'm using plain old medium blades. I'm not particularly good at this shit so I tend to break the medium blades regularly, let alone fine or extra fine. cutting out these tiny letters has reminded me just how little actual skill I have with inlay. it's painful. I haven't broken a piece yet.... knock on wood.....

and here's the fretboard with inlay's laid out. except for one more O. will finish cutting that one tonight. had enough last night and just went to bed. I'm using a different type of paper for the templates on these inlays. it's almost plastic. it's great for some stuff... but really sucks for inlay as the paper tends to lift even when glued down with super glue....
    20190604_210058_resized.jpg

10 points to the first person to figure out what the inlay is.
    Hint: it's a Greek mythology reference and it's a little morbid.

Omzig, Gmork, BlackMastodon and 7 others like this.
  3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire unofficial sso pickup tester

phonos- greek personification of murder

4. Defyantly

Defyantly Maybe

Nice work! What is the inlay material? MOP?

5. Deegatron

Deegatron SS.org Regular

Jesus, that was fast. I figured that one would be hard to figure out. guess not. LOL.
    10 points to KnightBrolaire

Murder / Murdered is the theme of the guitar.

Gmork likes this.
  6. Deegatron

Deegatron SS.org Regular

It's black MOP. Has a bunch of glue residue on it in the photo so it looks like crap. That being said, once it's shinned up, I really like it on Wenge. depending on how the light hits it, it either blends in as black or flashes and contrasts really well so you get kinda a stealth inlay that flashes at you when the light catches it. it's a rather neat effect. I don't find white MOP all that attractive so I don't use it very often.

Gmork likes this.
  7. Defyantly

Defyantly Maybe

That's neat!

8. secretpizza

secretpizza SS.org Regular

Man, can't wait to see this one completed. I have zero woodworking knowledge but this looks complex and awesome.

9. Deegatron

Deegatron SS.org Regular

Sorry, I cant help it. I almost died when I saw this one.
    chernobyl-memes-35-photos-7.jpg

Aiet, with that out of the way.
    progress updates.....
    Managed to get my black MOP pieces all cut, cut the fret slots, drilled the dots and routed the cavities.
    Here we are at the ghetto slot-o-matic 3000....
    20190608_204207_resized.jpg
    I switched from the stewmac regular saw to the Japanese style saw. I'm sure it's mostly due to the fact that I'm switching from an old worn out saw to a brand new sharp one but holy dang that made fast work of the wenge. I'm really happy with that saw.....
    20190608_210115_resized.jpg
    Next step was to glue everything in....
    20190609_200957_resized.jpg
    Some of the pieces of pearl are showing the flash while others are showing the dull black. Just depends how it catches the light. I MAY have drilled the dots a weeeeee bit too deep. I'm praying they level out when I radius the fretboard. if not i'll have to drill em out and put slightly larger dots in... and that'll be a royal pain in the ass....
    spose I could drill em out, fill with sawdust and superglue and then redot with the same size.... that's also an option I spose.....
    hopefully it doesn't come to that.....

I checked the neck blank last night. she hasn't budged at all. So that's some good news at least....

10. dmlinger

dmlinger SS.org Regular

What did you put on the fretboard in the last photo to make it look like that? With the contrasting color...

11. MoonJelly

MoonJelly a subtle stinging sensation..

Looks like it's just tracing paper.

dmlinger likes this.
  12. Defyantly

Defyantly Maybe

How did you make the slot-o-matic 3000? I'm interested!

13. Deegatron

Deegatron SS.org Regular

It's some sort of strange paper from my engineering department at work. All they had that was big enough for the complete body in 1 pcs. it feels like half paper / half plastic. sadly would not recommend / would not use again. it's impossible to glue down without lifting. I tried my trusty super 77 and it was only slightly effective, even with super glue it just peels off. I just removed the templates that were in the way of gluing down the inlays. I'll use the left over templates to line up the fretboard during glue up and then all of the templates will be removed.

Slot-o-matic 2000 was a piece of MDF with 2 MDF sides and a slot cut into it. Was recently replaced by the 3000 model. It's literally a piece of MDF for the base plate. get this... 4 pcs MDF cut into L shapes for the braces. routed a slot into the L shapes to accept a piece of UHMWPE that slides up and down as a depth stop. super ghetto, super effective. to set the cut depth I just stack up about 10 business cards until the saw sits at the right height, then I hold the saw down on top of the cards and slide the depth stop up until it touches the saw and tighten the screw. repeat 3 times and the saw is ready to go. I'll get some better pics for tomorrow but it's super simple.
    I specifically designed it with the L shaped braces so that I can swing the fretboard side to side and cut multiscale slots. It cost me absolutely zero dollars (used bits and cutoffs from around the shop).

IGC likes this.
  14. MoonJelly

MoonJelly a subtle stinging sensation..

Ah, it's vellum then, that's frequently used for structural and technical drawing. Tracing paper would have worked better which was why I guessed it :yesway:

15. Deegatron

Deegatron SS.org Regular

Aiet,
    Additional photo's of the slot-o-matic 3000 as promised to @Defyantly
    Everything should be pretty self explanatory. if I ever make a slot-o-matic 4000 I would simply add some hold down clamps to the jig. it's otherwise pretty effective.
    20190611_201906_resized.jpg 20190611_201911_resized.jpg 20190611_201917_resized.jpg

odibrom, Randy, IGC and 1 other person like this.
  16. Deegatron

Deegatron SS.org Regular

Last night I managed to cut out the neck shape and route to templates.
    TakingShape.png
    ya get it... taking... SHAPE.....
    mp,840x830,matte,f8f8f8,t-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg
    lol....
    Aiet.... moving on....
    20190613_051943_resized.jpg 20190613_051954_resized.jpg
    I took er slow and did VERY shallow passes with a brand new template bit. was hellah scared I would get massive chip out as wenge is... well it's wenge.... everything went according to plan so I'm rather stoked about that.
    I still need to build the heel up a little bit (bout 1/8") I feel like a prolly should have done that before routing the edges.... yup... prolly should have... dangit.....
    5ae3dc4e9c3b5de1f73ace74733bf3d06b59d0f5885f9d24a5136f46e39af3da.jpg

17. Deegatron

Deegatron SS.org Regular

Well, this is likely to be my last update for about 2 weeks. headed down to Kelowna for some much needed R&R with the famdamley.
    Not overly excited about spending 2 days cooped up in a car with a 2 year old and a 5 year old. I have however set my expectations low... so here's hoping this doesn't turn into a Griswold family vacation....

On to the updates.
    Not much to see really.
    Routed my trussrod slot. routed the trussrod cover recess. did the headstock inlay. screwed up the headstock inlay. cried myself to sleep. got over it. accepted partial victory.
    20190617_202936_resized.jpg

Sadly, I screwed up the inlay twice.
    A) I cracked it between the D and T. it looks fine now and it's tough to spot the crack... but its there.
    B) the blank wasn't black MOP all the way though. I didn't make the cavity deep enough so I sanded off more than I wanted to. as a result I wound up with a black/white sunburst. looks great... but not want I wanted....
    YAY PARTIAL VICTORY!!!!
    I couldn't find any good "partial victory" meme's. please post any good one's you've got below....

KR250, Omzig and Albake21 like this.