Deciding on Fishman Set

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Cheap, Apr 4, 2018.

Which set is most appropriate based on the shitty clips below?

1. Dev Set

11.1%
  2. Tosin Set

88.9%
  1. Cheap

Cheap .....ite

My curiosity has finally gotten the best of me and I want to try out a set of Fluences in my Custom 24.

Has anyone here tried the Devin or Abasi sets and used all of the voicings? I'm not after crazy gained tones (examples of as far as I usually go below) and will mainly be using the split coil options. I'm interested in Dev's set because I've always been surprised at how much EMG-like tones work for me and the other main voice being a pseudo tele sound could be a great offset.

I know Tosin has a pretty encompassing video on his voicings and I've actually played his set in the 6 string Abasi model at NAMM, but thought he liked way too much treble and it was on the verge of ice picky. Didn't get a great feel for whether or not that high end was from the pickups or the rig. I've only heard of Dev's set being sweet in the high end and never harsh

Plz halp!

2. TheShade0110

TheShade0110 SS.org Regular

Considering you're not going after much gain you maybe a good candidate for the Fluence Open Core pickups about to be released. The Open Core Classic set should have a HF Tilt option if you don't like too much treble and unlike the normal Classic set has a single coil voicing.

Other candidates with single coil voicings would be the KSE set(tighter lower output 81 and a Bill Lawrence l500xl-esque passive voice) or Keith Merrow set(no one knows how this sounds yet aside from Keith and the people at Fishman).

Between the two pickups you listed I'd go with the Devin set for you.

3. Stuck_in_a_dream

Stuck_in_a_dream SS.org Regular

Not from experience, but you can search the forum here and find that the Devin Townsend set can be too warm/dark unless your guitar (much like DT sig) is overly bright. While the Tosin set can be bright, it's not harsh, you can always dial it out at the amp, better to have it than not imho. Besides, it really shines in clean tones. It's also high output AND very sensitive to pickup height. The single coil tone sounds amazing btw.

I do own both Tosin 8, and the KSE, and love them both, for different vibes. They are both very versatile, but I'd say KSE is more typical/traditional metal, while Tosin's more modern/djenty/brutal depending on gain level. The 2nd KSE voice sounds amazingly passive though, love it! Both Tosin, KSE have great single coil tones.

4. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Whenever I switch on the single coil mode on my Abasi 6 string pups, people always get surprised. How can some bright and twangy strat-ish sound come from a metal looking guitar? hahaha

5. Ziricote

Ziricote SS.org Regular

Are they all available in the passive looks or is that only the Merrow signature sets?

6. Stuck_in_a_dream

Stuck_in_a_dream SS.org Regular

KSE is 6-string only, Tosin 7, 8 are soapbars only. It seems for 2018, the classic open-core 7, 8 and KM sig will be the only ones available in passive form factor.