Death Metal

Phil of Death Metal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Anyone know of any good sites or You Tube for Death Metal? I am looking for something where they go through and show you how to play it not just some one playing to a backing track. Or any good Tab sites that do not charge for it....I want to learn Death Metal but I cannot find anything but backing tracks with some one playing....Far as that goes I do not even know where to start.

KnightBrolaire

chasing the GAS dragon
Reaction score
Anyone know of any good sites or You Tube for Death Metal? I am looking for something where they go through and show you how to play it not just some one playing to a backing track. Or any good Tab sites that do not charge for it....I want to learn Death Metal but I cannot find anything but backing tracks with some one playing....Far as that goes I do not even know where to start.
What kind of death metal are you trying to learn? There are a lot of little nuances within death metal depending on the era or subgenre. You might be better off figuring out what bands you like within the genre first, and then seeking out tabs for their stuff.

songsterr generally has good tabs. I prefer it over ultimate guitar tbh.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I don't understand those tabs.......You have two numbers on top of each other how do you play that?
Can you screenshot what you mean? As @ExMachina stated that sounds like just a chord, but for all we know your browser has screwed up the page and placed multiple numbers literally on top of each other or the tab is incorrect, etc.

Phil of Death Metal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's a chord, how long have you been playing?
Not that long...I figured out it was a chord but what chord?
Can you screenshot what you mean? As @ExMachina stated that sounds like just a chord, but for all we know your browser has screwed up the page and placed multiple numbers literally on top of each other or the tab is incorrect, etc.

KnightBrolaire

chasing the GAS dragon
Reaction score

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Ohhh my dude is new new. That's alright, we literally we're all there before. But just being extremely brutally honest, if this is your first foray into tablature, death metal might not be your best first choice to learn on. But then again, I've always been a supporter of the "learn on what you want to play on" mentality with guitars themselves, so maybe the music side of things would work too, who knows. But DM tabs are usually pretty all over the place, and not really beginner material.

sock5150

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Echoing what others are saying, but if you're a beginner, death metal is not always a great choice to start learning songs from tabs. They're often inaccurate and can be very intimidating due to the advanced techniques and high tempos most DM bands employ.

That being said, if you want a super accurate resource for DM tabs, especially OSDM and crossover stuff, I highly recommend TBombGuitar on YouTube. He tabs out everything from scratch, films a simple playthrough video for each, and is very good about mimicking the specific styles of death metal's famous, and infamous, players. SheetHappens books are also very nice and well made in my experience if you're into more modern/progressive-sounding bands.

Enjoy your guitar journey friend, it lasts a lifetime and there is always another mountain to climb. It will be the most frustrating, and most rewarding thing you will ever do if you put in the time and effort to do it right.

(PS. Learn to use a metronome while you're still starting out, it is a good habit to have)

7stringDemon

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A lot of Death Metal is hard, but Six Feet Under typically isn't. I think thats a great choice of starter Death Metal. Feasting on the Blood of the Insane is a sweet tune for sure, i bust that intro riff out all the time.

Thats the power chord. Practice hitting them hard, and sliding them around. Thats Death Metal 101 right there :yesway:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Unsolicited advice:

Find a good teacher and take a couple of lessons. Make sure you come right out and clearly tell your teacher that you want to learn death metal off of tabs. A half hour with a teacher will save you hours of frustration later on. Once you are satisfied with your skills, you can tell your teacher that it's time to cancel your lessons from there on and then you can focus on learning on your own, if you want, but who knows, maybe your teacher will have a lot of things to show you about death metal?

jake013

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D#
E :-------------------|-----------------|--------------------|
B :-------------------|-----------------|--------------------|
G :-------------------|-----------------|--------------------|
D :-------------------|-----------------|--------------------|
A :2----3----4----5---|-6---7---8---9---|10---11---12---13---|
E :0----1----2----3---|-4---5---6---7---|-8----9---10---11---|

E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D#
B :-------------------|-----------------|--------------------|
G :-------------------|-----------------|--------------------|
D :9---10---11---12---|13---2---3---4---|-5----6----7----8---|
A :7----8----9---10---|11---0---1---2---|-3----4----5----6---|

Basic power chords

Not that long...I figured out it was a chord but what chord?