Dean Import quality

xeno99

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about ordering the Dean Michael Amott Tyrant Tin Man.

I can't check it out in person because there aren't many retail stores in Germany with Dean guitars, let alone this specific model.

Does anyone have any experience with korean-made Dean guitars in recent years?

Are they on the same level as korean LTDs?

Are they generally better then indonesian-made Import models?

ArtDecade

Shoegazer
Reaction score
My Korean LTD experiences were better than my Korean Dean VMNT experiences. The LTD guitars had higher overall QC. The electronics in the Deans always needed attention because the soldering was fairly poor. The construction/build of both companies was about the same though.

xeno99

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Looks like the difference between chinese and korean Deans is quite big.

I generally read mixed opinions on Import Dean QC. (More bad ones actually)

Last edited:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I've owned tons of import Deans. Most of them were great. One, though, had the frets rust, yes rust, which was weird, but when it happens, I just polish off the rust and keep playing it. There are undoubtedly a few poorly made ones that slip through QC, so it's a bit of a gamble. Here in the US, though, if you get a lemon, you can usually get the dealer to replace it for you. I have no idea if that would happen in Deutschland. Maybe not.

manu80

Jackson for life !
Reaction score
Never had any problem quality wise,
2 vmnt and a cadillac. All good, binding, fret job, no clear drop etc…

Reaction score
All of my Deans are Indonesian made. Dunno if there's a difference but mine have been great. My tech has gone over all of them thoroughly and he was quite surprised at how well made they are.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I noticed there was a correlation between the amount of Dimebag sigs and Dean's overall QC. The less Dimebag sigs they were doing, the better the QC got.

Probably just coincidence. :lol:

Reaction score
I noticed there was a correlation between the amount of Dimebag sigs and Dean's overall QC. The less Dimebag sigs they were doing, the better the QC got.

Probably just coincidence. :lol:
It's not. The Dime models were for his fans...people who don't care about quality and just want a cheap replica of Dime's stuff.

When they stopped focusing on that, they made decent stuff but thr majority of what you saw was the cheapo Dime shit