Dealbreakers. What are yours?

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
1. This is #1 for a reason - guitars with the volume knob too close to the bridge pickup. Haaaate that!!!
2. 22 fret guitars
3. Bolt-on necks in general except maybe those really beautifully done bolt-on joints that mimic neck-through like RAN guitars had.
4. Dots and super cheesy fret inlays. I simply won't do dots anymore with the exception of my long time 5-string LTD F shape bass which is both bolt-on and with dot inlays. Just sounds soooo good and has sentimental value.
5. Ugly ass headstocks
6. Headstocks that don't match the body color/wood
7. Anything Gibson :lol:
8. Maple bodies
9. Maple fretboards

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a serious problem with unbound fretboards and headstocks.

I also much prefer bound necks, headstocks, AND flat-top bodies, however it's not a deal breaker for me. My Solar A1.7FRFB doesn't have binding and is still an awesome axe.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Direct mount pickups, not a total dealbreaker, but I hate the look and hate trying to swap them

Say whaaaaa???? *I say this with the lightest of heart and just to josh you* but direct mount is way better than ugly plastic pickup rings with four ugly screws. I also find direct mounts waaay easier to swap as all you have to unscrew is *two* screws instead of *six* and you don't have to deal with floating spring annoyance. Come on bro, join us! Come to the light side of the force!!

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
No cases. I’ve dealt with this often and also deal with both UPS and FedEx at my work quite a bit and they are rough on packages.

I get that some people who sell guitars don’t have cases but at least reduce the price some and pack well to compensate. :2c:

SJShinn

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My
Say whaaaaa???? *I say this with the lightest of heart and just to josh you* but direct mount is way better than ugly plastic pickup rings with four ugly screws. I also find direct mounts waaay easier to swap as all you have to unscrew is *two* screws instead of *six* and you don't have to deal with floating spring annoyance. Come on bro, join us! Come to the light side of the force!!
Lol, My main issue with direct mount is messing up the existing threads in the legs of new pickups. The look just isn't my thing either. I actually prefer the look of pickup rings. That being said, I do have guitars with direct mounts, they just don't get the same level of love as everything else. My Loomis for example, I want to swap out the EMG's but the screws have threaded inserts in the body, and the screws themselves are bigger than the threaded holes in the pups that I bought to replace the EMG's. I didn't want to drill out the holes in the new pups in the event that I didn't like them, so I sent them back unmodified and just stuck with the EMG's. Maybe it's easier in other direct mount guitars, but that's where the appearance factor comes in.

tedtan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Looks like an Ibanez but isn’t an Ibanez. (Jackson,LTD,etc,)
Exception is Solar.
What Jackson looks like an Ibanez? The closest I can come up with is the soloist, but the Jackson Soloist was the inspiration for the Ibanez RG (the soloist came out three years before the RG, and Steve Vai played soloists before he designed the Jem and RG).

So did you actually intend to say: Looks like a Jackson but isn’t a Jackson (exceptions: Ibanez and Solar)? :fawk:

DECEMBER

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
1: Binding. Can't stand it. So tacky. My instruments have to be all black or able to be modded to be all black. I prefer a non-glossy black finish.
2: single coils. Too much noise in my rig.
3: 2 pickups with just one volume/one tone. I need either 2 volumes or a blend/balance control. And if there's coil splitting, they need to be able to split individually.
4: fret buzz. I don't know why it's been so hard for me to find a guitar with no fret buzz!

LunatiqueRob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I try to avoid these:

-Huge headstocks
-Too metal looking with lots of pointy shapes
-Garish colors and ugly vomit/splatter finishes
-light colored fretboard (not enough contrast with the frets and strings in certain lighting situations)
-heavy (ideally no heavier than 7 lbs.)
-22 frets
-Uncomfortable access to highest frets
-Lack of tonal options

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score

Whenever I see a guitar with a super nice top and pickup rings my soul hurts (specially on a 7-string). But at least it's something somewhat fixable. I've done it in the past.

If Petrucci could rock out a Picasso Ibanez with the screw holes of removed pickup rings, so can I!

rockridge98

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Neck-heavy guitars.
SSH or SH pickup configuration. I'm fine with HH, HSH, SSS, but I need the neck and bridge pickups to at least kind of match in tone and volume.

Riffer Madness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My fingers are past their prime, so I doubt I'll buy another 25.5" scale 6 string. I'd make an exception for a 7 since there aren't many options in short scale.

I also have an easier time playing 24 frets than I do 22 cuz I have this nerve pinching wrist thing that kicks in when I'm playing in higher positions. 24 tends to shift everything forward a couple notches, so that's something I consider

I think multiscale looks funky, and I'd never buy one unless it was used to make stuff shorter and easier to play like a 25-24

Perge

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Fade finishes. I've only seen one guitar it looked good on. This one. Every other one has been a deal breaker on some otherwise noice guitars. The latest Alexi models come to mind immediately. Would prefer both if they got rid of the fade finishes. I understand somebody has to like it, but I do not see the appeal. 6EBCD6B3-F410-488D-86CC-EE8CBDE52BB6.jpeg

Every other one has looked like hot garbage.

RadoncROCKs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
1. Pickup rings - looks cheap and useless, breaks up aesthetic
2. Evertune - they are absolutely hideous, I don't care if it works or not
3. Non-locking tuners
4. Binding - even when well done looks cheap to me
5. Diamond inlays - I see so many decent used Kiesels on Reverb ruined with stupid diamond inlays
6. Poo fretboards - most rosewood, all rosewood alternatives (jatoba, laurel, pau ferro)

Used to be gloss necks but my Majesty changed that

4Eyes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have guitars and designs which I preffer over the others. But if there's one thing that can turn me over even from the design I like the most, then it's center dot inlays..no, just no

...and bigsby trem.

ddotalic

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Inlays, especially dot inlays. Also the Solar inlay, if there were no inlays on Solar guitars I would've owned one for some time now.
Single coils in bridge position.
Light brown/orange/reddish fretboards - I like 'em dark

Not a deal breaker but, those screws sticking out of saddles of vintage trems.

ErockRPh

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My only 100% dealbreaker is no tone knob. I play with it rolled off to some extent more than half the time.

I'm a heavy palm muter and I generally hate floating trems... except when I want a floating trem. So a Floyd isn't a dealbreaker, but I'd only buy a guitar with one if it was specifically intended for certain leads, and it would spent 95% of the time on the wall rather than in use.