Cynic - Focus official tab book coming soon (transcribed by me!)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Evan89, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Evan89

Evan89 SS.org Regular

I'm not sure if it's standard practice for Sheet Happens, but that's something I do with all of my transcriptions. Not only is it helpful for the reader, but it makes it much easier for me if I need to revisit or edit a part. Glad you're enjoying it, and thanks for your support. Here's to many more!

Rosal76 likes this.
  2. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

It's absolutely infuriating when you want to support an artist, but their EP is $60, their tab book is $60 and they haven't played in my country in a decade.

works0fheart likes this.
  3. 777timesgod

777timesgod Stop reading this...I said stop!

Yeah, they are both pricey and I would think twice about getting them. I once went to an Obscura gig and since I was working on their songs I thought about buying their tab book but after seeing the price tag, I decided that it is best to stick to the internet tabs, which are acceptable for anyone not caring about being 100% accurate. I think I have a great tab of Veil of Maya in a USB stick somewhere. During the weekend I may have to start digging.

Nonetheless, congrats to the OP for doing a great job and working with Paul Masvidal. One of the most underrated, compared to other bigger names, guitarists. I remember disregarding his solo from "Flattening of emotions" as being straightforward. After learning it, I saw his clever way of putting the notes together and creating something which was both traditional death solo and something entirely different.

aesthyrian likes this.
  4. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

StevenC, I ordered the Cynic tab book last month and they included a discount coupon for 15% on the next order I place. I'm not going to place another order right now because I have other stuff I have to save up for/buy and plus, I just got the Cynic tab book not too long ago.

Anyways, if you and/or anyone else you may know who would like the 15% discount coupon for your Sheet happens order, I can give it to you if you want it. * The discount coupon expires on 4-30-2019 which is 11 days from now, so you have to use it before that date if you do order.

I'm not always on this forum but rest assure, I'll keep up to see any new posts later in the day and/or the next day. Cheers.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Evan89 likes this.
  5. Mwoit

Mwoit SS.org Regular

Not sure if anyone has been going through the bass song book, but some of these bass lines are totally rad. If I was to ever play bass in a metal band, I would definitely take some inspiration from Sean!

Evan89 likes this.
  6. 777timesgod

Did Sean write all of those bass lines? I remember Tony Choy was a member for a long time, he recorded the early demos with them. When he left, he then went to Atheist and Pestilence.

7. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

The only two songs they kept from the demos were Uroboric Forms and Eagle Nature, which on the demos had bass lines that mostly followed the guitar part. The bits that don't follow the guitars are the bits that got changed. So I'd say on Focus if the bass is doing the same as the guitar Paul and Jason wrote it, and if it's doing something else Sean wrote it.

Not to diminish Tony Choy, though.

8. 777timesgod

Yeah , Sean is great as is Tony. No doubt on that.

9. Evan89

Evan89 SS.org Regular

10. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Awesome new video. Different from what I'm used to hearing from Paul but still cool, nonetheless.

In other news, started on the new Cynic guitar tab book, yesterday. Started on, "How could I". Very, very mesmerizing music to play on the first 2 pages (110-111). That chord in bar 37 (page 113). :eek: Might have to move to Chernobyl and grow a extra finger. LOL. Having small hands/short fingers to play difficult guitar chords suck. LOL.

StevenC and Evan89 like this.
  11. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Evan, you "possibly" may have a new customer for your Cynic guitar tab book. I'm a member of a death metal social group on Facebook who discuss death metal bands of all genres/styles and Cynic gets brought up once in a while. Anyways, someone brought them up and another member claims he likes to play their music and I told him about the Cynic tab book and this was his response:

"Holy shit how did I not know about this? Been using the same tabs from cynical sphere for years and years hahaha. Need to order one!!"

Hopefully this will generate more interest in the book in that Facebook group.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Evan89 likes this.
  12. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

your front yard, staring into your window
    I seriously enjoy going AWOL from this page (not on my own accord, just the nature of work) and coming back to find out things like this. Between this and the Exodus material I'm gonna be busy for a while. I'm easy to please and just need the tabs on digits, so Sheet Happens has been a good resource. So glad to see this legendary record get tabbed.

works0fheart and Evan89 like this.
  13. Evan89

Evan89 SS.org Regular

@wankerness @technomancer @fantom

I'm revisiting the "standard notation" discussion, because when Sheet Happens sent me my copy of the Cynic book, they also included a USB drive with assorted transcriptions on it. I figured I'd check them out to see if standard notation was available. When opened, the default view is tab with rhythmic notation underneath, but it's very easy to view standard notation. If you are using GP6, click the track name, and you'll get this dialog box where you can select what kind of notation you want to view:
    GP6.png

If you are using GP7, make sure your "inspector" right sidebar is showing (hit F6 if not), and click on "track". Where it says "notation", you can select your preferred notation. I don't actually have the Cynic GP files from Sheet Happens, just the original ones that I did and sent to them. So, if anyone can double check this for me, hopefully it will clear up any confusion.
    GP7.png

Thank you so much for spreading the word!

Rosal76, mastapimp and technomancer like this.
  14. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

I don't have the cynic book handy, but I do have an Intervals tab from Sheet Happens and this works in GP6 :yesway:

Evan89 likes this.
  15. Evan89

Evan89 SS.org Regular

16. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    TheDandy, technomancer and Evan89 like this.