Computers for recording, weighing out options...

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by WarMachine, Jul 8, 2019.

1. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

To start off, sorry Mods and dudes if this is in the wrong section, being computer related. But it is based on recording so i thought this was the right place for it. Lately i've been getting random crashes in Reaper. Some have been expected, typically when i have a few buss tracks setup with TH-U and load orchestra and others into Kontakt 5 tracks. But lately even using just TH-U has caused some major latency/pops,clicks,cracks etc. As of right now, my main PC is a 2013 Acer Aspire TC-605 tower. I know in the PC world this is considered "classic" lol, but here are my specs;

Intel i5-4460 @ 3.20GHz
    Integrated GPU, intel just can't remember right off hand which one
    8GB of RAM, expandable up to 16GB
    2TB Internal HDD

For the time i thought it was a pretty good deal, but really the only things i can see that can be updated in this tower is the RAM.

Now my issue. I bought a used Dell Optiplex 3010 SFF about 3 months ago for uber cheap, added a Nvidia GT 1030 GPU, a 1TB 2.5 HDD and an extra 2GB of RAM that was compatible i had in an older dell and used it for a primary poor mans emulation-gaming rig. Works great for that. It has an i3-3220 if i remember right? @ 3.30GHz. These are going for stupid cheap on Ebay right now and i wondered, would it not be better just to buy another 3010 SFF for my main PC as well and add to it as i go, or just add to the Acer? As it looks to me, the only thing i can improve on in my Acer is additional RAM. If you guys were debating between the 2, which would you choose to speed up recording/VST usage in Reaper, and why? I'm totally on the fence with this, and starting out have less than $100 to work with. This could be either additional RAM or a another used 3010.

EDIT: Just thought of another pro ATM, if i did decide on another Optiplex, then that means i have a 5.25 Internal HDD i can pull out of my Acer and put in either the "new" one or my gaming one, plus if the RAM is compatible i could add the 8GB to the other 2 computers.

EDIT2 Lol: I just checked crucial.com and it shows the same RAM that is in the Acer is compatible with the Dell's. So there's that also if that makes any difference.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  2. WarMachine

And.....pulled the trigger lol. I got one on ebay for 48 bucks, no HDD but i have a 250gb kicking around to start with, a 2TB if i change my mind and a total of 8GB of RAM that is compatible that will work with it. Guess i'll be posting the results, says i'll get it by Wednesday. Normally i wouldn't pull the trigger so quickly on this but i didn't see it lasting very long. This will leave another HDD and 4GB stick of RAM i can add to my Gaming rig, which works out because i need more of both lol. In the end i actually ended up saving money by getting this.

3. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

that's odd you're getting pops/clicks with just TH-U, i have a 10 year old core i7 860 pc and i can run a few instances + superior drummer and a few other things no problem at the lowest latency... have you tried doing tweaks to your machine to find the issue?

WarMachine likes this.
  4. WarMachine

Yeah unfortunately but nothing helped. And it's intermittent so that's what makes it hard to track down. When i use TH-U + Perfect Drums and a few multibands/comps/limiter it can go just fine or it can turn to trash, but it's normally that latter.

5. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

I would have added a SSD for operating system and all software to speed up everything. Don't get more RAM if it's really not needed. It's still 1333mhZ or 1600mhZ DDR3 what those motherboards are compatible with, which is pretty slow in today's standards. If your audio interface drivers are working as they should and system is optimized for highest performance settings it should have no problem running those, TH-U is very light on CPU. Amazon and Ebay are full of cheap Dell Optiplex's with 2nd to 4th generation i5 or i7's which outperform a dual core i3 anyway, so I woudn't see a reason to upgrade everything in it, and again if something it's the SSD.

6. trem licking

just out of curiosity, what interface are you using? messed around with different drivers?

7. WarMachine

@Metropolis - thanks for the input man, i actually looked into SSD's and everything i read said that the only clear advantage to them is for boot up times, not the programs that operate in them. I was thinking of picking up a small SSD to use just for plugins thinking it may speed up load times and whatnot for Kontakt plugins but was told there was very little to zero difference. I can deal with the boot time we've learned to live with forever lol.

@trem licking - i use an M-Audio M-Track 2x2 C-Series interface. It hasn't been the interface or drivers, ive used a few others since this and i still got the same results.

What i was weighing out more after i started thinking about it, was that if i spent a little more than what i would have for extra space/ram etc i could most likely find a deal i did on the dell and upgrade it as needed. My Acer was a store bought bestbuy treasure that only have hdd/ram increased. Very particular to GPU's, i think maybe less than like 4-5 fit, all over $300. It just seemed like a better choice to have something with the option of upgrading when/if i needed it.

8. newamerikangospel

newamerikangospel Tonight.......you

Ssds for basic programs wont do much, but recording to and mixing from wav files on an SSD will make a big difference since your HDD will bottleneck what can be streamed from it.

9. trem licking

It's the opposite, you will notice programs open faster on ssd but HDD will stream tons of audio no sweat. I'd use SSD for programs only and HDD for audio

10. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular