Circle K Has my Money from now on!

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by MrAwsomeZombie, Aug 16, 2013.

1. MrAwsomeZombie

MrAwsomeZombie Member

So recently I needed to replace my 8 string bass strings, take off that low F# and add a high A# instead, and I had no idea where to go until I found these guys https://www.circlekstrings.com/store/ Their string gauge chart was really helpful and they made it easy to get a balanced set for my instrument! I would recommend them to anybody! Their shipping is fast even on the cheapest of shipping options and all the strings are thoroughly labeled. If you need ERG strings, go to these guys!
    Has anyone had a bad experience with them?
    Thoughts? Opinions?

Durero likes this.
  2. The Spanish Inquisition

The Spanish Inquisition Unexpected

You must be new here :rolleyes:

Oh, you are...

Optionwise people love them, durabilitywise people don't like them.

3. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Pretty much. I love that they have basically my optimal gauges available in sets and that they intonate really well, but hate that they only have that new string sound for about a day or two depending on how much I play.

However, I find that they're at least usable for just as long if not slightly longer than say D'addario's even though the D'addario's keep the new sound a bit longer.

Solution: buy in bulk and change strings more :lol: if you want the new sound all the time, that is

4. shawnperolis

shawnperolis 7 String Indie Game Dev

Good quality strings for extended range players, most people here like them a lot - me included. It is true that they don't have that "new string" feeling for very long though.

5. TheWarAgainstTime

Yep. I had been using D'addario's on my 7's forever but they sound pretty dull once you get heavier than about a 62 while my 65 and 70 Circle K's have pretty much the same sound as the lighter wound strings

6. codyblast

codyblast 1

I'm a huge fan of Circle K. As for the durability / fast loss of tone issues mentioned, its the first I've heard of them, no strings ive ever had from Circle K have lost tone quickly and i've never even broken any. I do wipe down my strings after shows and while I pick hard theres still technique to it, mashing any string with a 2mm pick is gonna snap it

7. Given To Fly

Given To Fly Contributor

I really don't think Circle K strings die quickly. They aren't as naturally bright as D'Addarios and most people aren't used to that; I actually think Circle K's need to be broken in for a few days in order to attain their natural sound.

I won't lie, there are plenty of reasons not to buy strings from a company called Circle K which has 1 employee, but once you try them you will forget what those reasons were. :yesway:

8. MrAwsomeZombie

MrAwsomeZombie Member

I've had mine for about 2 weeks now and they still have a crisp and clean sound to them, not much tonal degradation so far.

9. JPMike

JPMike Totally Random

Yeah, my last order was a 3 figure number... :D

10. CanniballistiX

CanniballistiX Detuned Fury

I just put my very 1st set of CircleK strings on tonight, it was the .010-.082 balanced set. I simply cannot believe how much of a dream it is to play my SLS C8 now. I wasn't digging the stock strings and was dreading changing to any other set (of big name strings), as none are balanced. The clarity of each note on each string is awesome, my guitar really feels awesome and comfortable.

Wow, I will throw a few (hundred) bills their way for sure.

11. MatthewLeisher

MatthewLeisher Ghostmaker

I used to be a Circle K guy, but they lose their tone/snappiness too fast. Since I don't drop tune (Except Drop E on my 8 string) I just go with DR medium Tite-fits for my 7 and 8. The gauges are perfect for me and the .075 holds the low E on my 8 really well. I used to have a .080 on my 8 string, can't imagine how I'd deal with that now, seems WAY too big.

12. TheWarAgainstTime

13. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

Love em. Mine last forever. Maybe they lose the initial snap after a couple of days but I've never played a string that doesn't - and after that phase, they keep a good tone longer than any string I've found.
    That aside, the gauge offerings, tone of thick strings, and singles for no extra cost is just incredible :)

14. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

It looks like people are forgetting that different strings have different durabilities for different people. For some people, D'addario strings will be bright forever, while Dunlops are dead after a day. The for some, it's literally the opposite. For some, both will be dead after a day and only Ernie Balls will last forever.

Circle K Strings is no different in that regard. The ones on my guitars are still bright sounding. And I put those on over a year ago :lol:

15. Metaguitarist

Metaguitarist SS.org Regular

Whoa, wish I could keep my strings in good shape that long!

16. Philligan

Philligan The White-Knuckler Contributor

This. I've got a set on my semi-hollow that I've had on for like 6 months, and they still sound good. I noticed that with all the sets I've tried - once they settle in, they stay consistent for a really long time.

I tried LaBellas and they all sounded completely dead right out of the box, I wouldn't order them again.

I still go back to D'Addarios, though. I don't need any insane gauges, and D'Addario's price and availability trump Circle K's longer life and gauge options for me. I've never personally talked to Skip, but I've always had long waits for my strings from Circle K, and the D'Addario guys have always been really helpful and nice.

If you need Circle K's gauges, though, they're pretty awesome strings. :yesway:

17. Negav

Negav SS.org Regular

Are these strings coated? Because where I live there is no non-coated string that can survive more than 2 weeks.

18. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User

They never return my emails to take my money...

19. JPMike

JPMike Totally Random

For real??

I received a reply within 1-2 hours I sent them an email.

As far as 8s and maybe 7s I'd go with Circle K.

But for 6ers, I'd never change my favourite set, D'Addario EJ21.

20. sevenstringj

sevenstringj Banned

They've had email problems where messages go to their junk folder. Hopefully that's been taken care of.

They just added a google voice mail number, so you can try that. Or PM him here, or just make a thread. They're hugely popular around here and lots of people know lots about them.