Choosing a reliable/reasonnable priced stratocaster :-)

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by taboo, Dec 11, 2013.

1. taboo

taboo New Member

Hi sevenstring.org ! :)

The only guitar I own is a PRS SE custom 24, and I'm currently thinking about buying a new guitar, because I grew tired of the PRS's body shape (incomfortable to me), despite that the neck is fine.

I've been playing friend's Fender Japan stratocaster, and I really felt comfortable with it, thanks to the body contours.
    I'm practising on blues to heavy-metal tracks. So I'd like a reliable versatile guitar, that could suit a lot of genres, last, and be gig-approved ^^
    And a simple looking, to avoid getting bored of it quickly.
    So I thought that should be nice to get a 22frets strat type guitar !

Starting around 400$ to 700~$ is my budget. (I plan to sell the prs se in a near future too)
    More than the hardware, I care about the finish / woods, coz I don't exclude the possibility of doing some custom on it in a near future : change pickups / bridge (i'm considering a evertune since i'm not a tremolo user) / locking tuners (hipshot or spertzel perhaps ? read good stuff about it).

After looking around and reading reviews, and since I'm living in Japan, I grew some interest in these models :
    - Fender Japan Stratocaster / 700~$ ¡Ú³ÚÅ·»Ô¾ì¡Û¡Ú¿´ºØ¶¶Å¹¸ÂÄꥢ¥¯¥»¥µ¥ê¡¼¥­¥Ã¥È¥×¥ì¥¼¥ó¥È¡ª¡ÛFender Japan ¥Õ¥§¥ó¥À¡¼¥¸¥ã¥Ñ¥ó / Limited Edition 2013 Stratocaster ST62/QT US Blonde (USB) ¡Ú¿´ºØ¶¶Å¹¡Û¡§¥¤¥·¥Ð¥·³Ú´ï 17Shops
    or Fender Japan / Limited Edition 2013 Stratocaster STR Vintage White (VWH) (I read that Fender japan are well made and somehow comparable to us-made ones)

- ESP Edwards / 700~$ ESP | EDWARDS | E-SE-93R/LT (edwards is told to be the quality between LTD and standards ESP)

- ESP LTD ST203/213/ 400~$ ST-213 ROSEWOOD OW - The ESP Guitar Company (had nice reviews for the price)

I've seen the Charvel San dimas hardtail too, the price is bit high for me (buying it from japan would cost me around 900$) but if the stuff is really great, maybe i can manage some additionnal saves...
    Charvel® Guitars

I still need to try more the maple neck to decided whether maple or rosewood fretboard.
    For the color I will be sort of white or black or 3 tone sunburst (didn't decided yet).

So i'd like to read your thoughts about stratocasters in this price range, and some advices about thoses or others strat-like guitars. And what do you think about SSS vs HSS strats :)

Thank you (^^)d

2. TauSigmaNova

TauSigmaNova Guitarist Wannabe.

if you're planning on playing metal if suggest getting one with a bridge humbucker as a start. If you're playing metal it's almost guaranteed you'll need a H-S-S

3. chassless

chassless Don'tDeserveMyGuitar

^ that, or you can always replace the original pups with a seymour duncan single coil sized humbuckers set. i can only imagine all the combinations you could do with the 5 way selector and mini humbuckers !

but i'm sorry though, i don't think i can help you much concerning the guitars themselves

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I'd go for that Japanese Fender. I'm a huge fan of ESP and Edwards guitars, but those Japanese Fenders are really fucking good for the price.

Although, from what I'm seeing, the Edwards comes stock with aftermarket Duncans, while the Fender has stock pickups. You may or may not like them, but it's a simple change on the Fender's part.

I agree with Chassless. If you're going to get the single coil-loaded Strats, replace the bridge pickup with a SC-sized humbucker like the Duncan JB Jr. or DiMarzio Fast Track 2 or Super Distortion S.

5. flo

flo SS.org Regular

When I hear "reliable" and "reasonably priced" the name Cort comes to mind. I've played my friends cort a million times (the G-series 260), and I'm convinced that if you want a workhorse guitar, it's all you'll ever need. Cort produces guitars for a lot of the major brands, by the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well within your price range, plus you can split the bridge PU.
    Link: Cort Guitars

6. rikomaru

rikomaru SS.org Regular

I prefer hss but you can get pretty heavy with stacked coils in an sss strat. Yngwie Malmsteen has excellent sounding palm muted rythym tracks (soldier without faith being my favorite).

The only complaints i've heard about fender japan is the electronics and I can't verify that myself. I kinda doubt it though as even GrassRoots strats sound fine from my experience.

I've had unending faith in Edwards since playing them in Oki so that is a fine option. I'd say hit up some of the local shops if possible. You may have to find a bigger one to test on an amp like your own but there are numerous options for instruments out there.

Sidenote- if you find one with a pearly gates (or plus) in the bridge that'll be your go to blues beast.

7. chassless

chassless Don'tDeserveMyGuitar

i agree with the Cort's, my friend has one (from a different series though, built like a PRS) and it's a true quality guitar especially for the price

8. taboo

taboo New Member

Thank you everyone :) !

Thank you flo for introducing Cort to me, seems to have nice specs brand, but for the moment I'm more into the "classic fender-ish" strat type looking. :)

I guess next step is to go try the edwards vs fender japan !

I still I have no knowledge/experience about single coils, so I need to try the strat hss vs sss I think ^^

I was looking for strat style pickups on the internet,

On the sc sized humbuckers I found the rails seymour duncan set :
    Hot rails / vintage rails / cool rails that seems to be pretty versatile by looking to this page : Hot Rails™ for Strat SHR-1 - Seymour Duncan High Output

And the two sets of bareknuckle single coils wich seems to have quite a powerful sound :
    - https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=strats&sub=contemporary&pickup=trilogy_suite
    - https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=strats&sub=contemporary&pickup=the_sinner

It says that by using the middle pickup with the bridge or the neck pickup, we can get a hum-canceling effect, but does that keep the tone of a single coil ? Or by using this position it changes to a more humbucker style one ?

I've been searching about stacked single coils, but didn't really understood the thing.
    Is that the same type "noiseless" pickups fender sells, and Malmsteem YJM ?
    How does it work ? Is that single coils with an different build/structure ?

9. Given To Fly

Given To Fly Contributor

I would check out G&L guitars if you are interested in a Strat...or guitars in general. :yesway:

10. imnotnollynollynolly

imnotnollynollynolly SS.org Regular

Nothing wrong with the Mexican Fender stuff in my books as well if you want to get something on the cheap used or new and put in pickups to your liking. DiMarzio makes some nice single coil sized humbuckers if you end up with SSS, I put a Fast Track II in the bridge and never looked back, that thing is a beast of a pickup.

11. hairychris

hairychris Hairy Old Bloke

The 2 Mexican Fender guitars I own are both really nice guitars. They're Telecasters, though... Surprisingly good electronics and fit & finish. They were both in the $600 range new.

One thing, if you want a traditional "stratty" tone go for the normal pick-up configuration. A humbucker in the bridge will be more straight-forward rock/metal but you'll lose the tone.

FWIW I run my Telecasters at high gain and the single coil works great.

12. hairychris

hairychris Hairy Old Bloke

If you wire the middle pick-up in reverse, when you use the 2 or 4 position (neck + middle, bridge + middle) you get a hum-cancelling effect. You need to run 2 pick-ups for hum-cancelling, the single pick-up positions 1/3/5 will behave as normal.

I'd imagine that you'd have some clever wiring arrangement where the wind runs both directions but I am not so sure about this one!