Children of Bodom/Bodom after Midnight Megathread (RIP Alexi)

Boris_VTR

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was hooping that they would say some positive things about Roope but nope. Just that Alexi fired him and that is it. They didn't even have a saying in this apparently.

Sermo Lupi

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Aside from the emotional side of things, this article is a fascinating insight into the finances of a band at Children of Bodom's level. I was surprised to read that:

* CoB only sold 2.5 million albums despite being one of the most visible metal bands of the 2000s and 2010s.

* CoB split gig money and merchandise money equally, despite Alexi receiving the lion's share of the royalty income via an LLC.

* The LLC was collectively bringing in about €500k per year, about €5k-8k of which was going to each band member per month (not counting Alexi). Additional dividends were paid on good fiscal years.

* While the band disputes Alexi's account of the finances, he maintained repeatedly that revenues of the LLC were low in 2017-2018 compared to 10 years prior.

The band was clearly doing well in the grand scheme of things but this adds to the mountain of evidence that the traditional revenue streams in music are not in a healthy state. Bodom was huge--culturally--even at the end. Yet the band members were basically being paid low six-figure salaries, with Alexi making perhaps a little more than that. If they are millionaires, it's likely from the funds garnered in their earlier careers.

It's very sad to read how Alexi was behaving in the end, however. It's difficult to fault him considering what he was going through. Yet you also can't fault the band for breaking up when things were so unstable a future for them was clearly untenable at that time.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I thought 2.5 million sounded good but I checked In Flames passed that around 2010. Bodom have always been praised for their earlier albums so maybe albums from Blooddrunk onwards didn’t sell as much as other bands were around then.

Bodom were a very successful touring band which is where the money would have been the last decade.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
While we've got the thread active, does anyone have recommendations for albums similar to Something Wild?

I'm sure that's almost an impossible question to answer as I haven't heard anything similar to it since I first heard it, but god damn if I don't love it and wish there was SOMETHING to follow it up with besides moving on to Hatebreeder which loses a little bit of the edge that makes it so great.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
While we've got the thread active, does anyone have recommendations for albums similar to Something Wild?

I'm sure that's almost an impossible question to answer as I haven't heard anything similar to it since I first heard it, but god damn if I don't love it and wish there was SOMETHING to follow it up with besides moving on to Hatebreeder which loses a little bit of the edge that makes it so great.
The first thing that comes to my mind is Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane. The Dissection influences are all over those early albums in general.

Sermo Lupi

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I thought 2.5 million sounded good but I checked In Flames passed that around 2010. Bodom have always been praised for their earlier albums so maybe albums from Blooddrunk onwards didn’t sell as much as other bands were around then.

Bodom were a very successful touring band which is where the money would have been the last decade.

No doubt, but it's unlikely that the live shows were bringing in a kingly sum either. If anything, it shows that Bodom came to rely on touring revenue to keep them stable in a way that a lot of smaller bands did. Comparing that to the heyday of metal is a bit disheartening considering how popular the genre has remained in relative terms.

Last edited:

Sermo Lupi

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dream Theater has an album that went gold in 1995, so yeah that's not surprising.

I already edited my comment since I realised the figure also included DVD sales, but I guess I wasn't quick enough. I don't know how many of those 12 million sales are albums only.

As I said before, Lamb of God sold a similar amount as Children of Bodom, so I'd guess the figures must be accurate. Still, you look at some of the more commercial bands of the era like Slipknot (30M) or Korn (15M) and it's surprising to see CoB didn't sell more. They weren't a radio band but they were headliners for a long time.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Everything I can find online makes me think that 2.5 figure is correct but the general public doesn’t have access to that info and they didn’t ask the band members directly.

Albums sold well but nothing crazy like Nightwish numbers and by 2015 Janne said album sales dropped completely. A lot of Bodom’s fanbase would have grown up with MySpace, YouTube and piracy sites being their main way to listen. If they do a Facebook Q & A someone could ask them.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
One thing I forgot to mention earlier, I've never felt older than I do now seeing Janne with a fucking bald spot having seeing him with long hair for his whole life. Like, I get that everyone ages etc... but it's like, I'm already bald and now I'm watching my musical idols ALSO bald, so it's just weirdly existential.

NotDonVito

molesta la breastas
Reaction score
One thing I forgot to mention earlier, I've never felt older than I do now seeing Janne with a fucking bald spot having seeing him with long hair for his whole life. Like, I get that everyone ages etc... but it's like, I'm already bald and now I'm watching my musical idols ALSO bald, so it's just weirdly existential.
if COB was still going we'd get this janne back again \m/
Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 7.11.43 PM.png

Alberto7

Silly Goose Engineering
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah reading that article was both fascinating and heartbreaking all over again. Every time some news about them pop up i end up blasting their music for at least a week straight.

I gave Tokyo Warhearts another spin after years, and what a great live show that must have been. Alexi's playing and guitar tone are so on point there. Gonna be busting out my Edwards E-Scythe later this week to learn some more CoB/BAM tunes.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I checked out Mercury Circle and Moon Shot last night, both are not what I would've expected Jaska/Henkka to be playing after their time in Bodom; but maybe that's exactly why they're playing that stuff now?

NotDonVito

molesta la breastas
Reaction score
I actually like this song from Henkka's band quite a bit.

Jaska's band was a little too moody and doomy for me though.

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
This made me low key wish that the remaining Cob boys would do some sort of tribute tour with Teemu on the guitar and maybe that chick doing the vocals.
This would be acceptable. I think anything short of it would be a disgrace.

Alberto7

Silly Goose Engineering
Contributor
Reaction score
bump cause this is a really badass cover

This was excellent. Love seeing Teemu on this, too. Dude nailed it, as did everyone else. Love the vocals also, lots of attitude.

CoB is just such a fun band to cover. I honestly think I have the most fun with a guitar whenever I do CoB covers. I put other guitar things on pause at the moment, and I've been learning Sixpounder and Hatebreeder over the last week or so. I'm having an absolute freaking blast.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
bump cause this is a really badass cover

Didn't really do it for me, sadly! I mean, yes, everything was played 100% perfect, but I wish they'd played just a tad faster to make it feel more "busy", and the vocals were just ok, nothing more. Vicky Psarakis did a much better Alexi-imitation on her Hate Me! cover IMO.

It was awesome to see and hear Teemu play that solo though, and the keyboard solo was spot on too.