Cheaper Acoustics

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Hey guys. I've never owned an acoustic guitar (playing 25 years). Recently my kids have been enjoying some songs but playing them acoustically on my electrics is not great. I'm looking for a cheaper acoustic of decent quality just to play around the house. Never going to record or play live with it, but would like something that plays alright after I set it up.

One that caught my eye was the Yamaha FG800, only $229 through Amazon. Thoughts on this?

Anything else I should consider in the 200-400 range?

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
If it's new, you might be ok, but if you're getting something second-hand, I wouldn't risk it sight-unseen.

I'm always a bit paranoid about "cheap" acoustics because when they go wrong - they go very wrong. A beat up old strat copy can be re-setup and made workable by any amateur/enthusiast, but the kinds of things that go wrong on cheap acoustics would need a luthier and probably cost more than the value of the instrument to fix - like if the soundboards warp etc., then they end up piling up in pawn shops etc. with action high enough you could build a small village between the neck and the strings.

tedtan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Yamahas are great budget instruments. The only downside is that the neck is epoxied on, so its almost impossible to do a neck reset if it needs one years (decades) down the line.

I can also recommend the Seagull S6 but they will cost a bot more so you would have to find a Black Friday deal to hit your price point.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
The Yamahas are great budget instruments. The only downside is that the neck is epoxied on, so its almost impossible to do a neck reset if it needs one years (decades) down the line.

I can also recommend the Seagull S6 but they will cost a bot more so you would have to find a Black Friday deal to hit your price point.
Interesting about the epoxy. At 229 if it breaks over time it's whatever.

tedtan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That’s the thing - its cheaper to buy a new guitar than to do the repair, but they’re solid guitars otherwise and tough to beat at the price point.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Taylor gs mini used? Martin 000 mexi model?

dr_game0ver

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My pick: Go to your local guitar store, play as much guitars as you want/can, get the one you like.
Note, you will have to change the strings and do a complete set-up if you buy new.
I personally have a "cheap" 400€ Takamine from 12-15 years ago, it has been perfectly fine all theses years.

KnightBrolaire

mass cultivator
Reaction score
I second going to your local guitar store and trying a bunch of them. Godin, Seagull, Washburns are all solid for the price point.

SilentStrummer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yamaha FGs are great instruments. Worst case scenario, you use it as your camp and beach guitar.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My pick: Go to your local guitar store, play as much guitars as you want/can, get the one you like.
Note, you will have to change the strings and do a complete set-up if you buy new.
I personally have a "cheap" 400€ Takamine from 12-15 years ago, it has been perfectly fine all theses years.

3rd

The best advice.

Try everything, buy what you gel with regardless of pretty much everything.

That said, I've been very impressed by the cheapo stuff Fender has been making. Just about every example under $500 I've had my hands on in the last three or four years has been surprisingly good.

littlebadboy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It seems you don't need a performance level acoustic. Take a look at GC's in house brand, Mitchell. They have cheap options.

I am not much of an acoustic player, but I am happy with my Ovation I got on sale at Sweetwater years ago for just some living room noodling. The bowl shaped back is a bigger when sitting down.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Another vote for the FG800, or almost any Yamaha. My wife bought one for me that I really like and other 800's I've played have felt nice as well. Hard to go wrong with one of these.

Another one that surprised me is the old Johnson blue acoustic guitars. My wife found one at a thrift store that I restrung and it's really good... Less brightness than the FG800 but it plays very well and sounds great for being super cheap.
Screenshot_20221127_114017.jpg