Ceriatone Gargoyle incoming (Fortin Meshuggah)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Zado, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Are there any companies like Ceriatone that do Orange style clones for cheaper?

2. FourT6and2

FourT6and2 SS.org Regular

Not that I'm aware of.

3. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Damnit.
    I really want a Dual Dark 50

cwhitey2 and The906 like this.
  4. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

He's doing it as a new model because people will eat it up. The hype train on the Meshuggah amp is huge and you can't buy them anymore :2c:

Ribboz, setsuna7, Randy and 1 other person like this.
  5. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Is it huge though? Maybe 1-2 people here bought one? 1-2 people at rig-talk? There's a DSP for it which cannibalizes some of the borderline cases, etc. I saw like a hype push, and obviously they all got bought up, but so does just about anything with a big name and a very finite amount. I don't see people really craving that tone, in anyway comparable to craving a blackmachine in the old days, or even invective hype.

For a Ceriatone offering it'd definitely be a cooler one, but I'm more inclined to grab a model T clone or something they're likely to do more accurately, both in terms of parts and schematics.

Then buy one dude. Ceriatone's not really going to beat (or at least significantly beat) a used Dual Dark (of which there are plenty) with a new build.

6. Soya

Soya Poor person

I mean, there's a Fortin Meshuggah amp on reverb for 8,000 bucks, that's pretty hypy?

setsuna7 likes this.
  7. narad

narad SS.org Regular

If there's a ton of demand for it at $8k, yes. The one for sale for $4500 somewhat contradicts that idea though.

8. Soya

Soya Poor person

9. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Lowest I’ve seen one used was like 1750. Was hoping for something more along the lines of 1200 (even lower if i get a used clone lol). But, I also have no idea what to realistically expect as a price for a clone so, there’s that.

There’s so many production preamp pedal type things that emulate orange amps but, it’s all rockerverb/AD-30/OR-15 style. There’s nothing out there (that I’ve found) that does a Dark Terror/ Dual Dark/ Thunderverb/ TH-30 style.

The Bax Bangeetar was cool but, really loose even with a boost.

0rimus likes this.
  10. narad

narad SS.org Regular

I've seen plenty $1450-1600 on Reverb. One near me now for $1650 (but it's a 100). I'm also kind of interested in them but I'm not sure if they can compare to a butterslax.

Though, this is too cool:
    https://reverb.com/item/20687042-or...annel-guitar-head-owned-by-fall-out-boy-35961

(not the fallout boy connection, but that they reshelled it)

Bearitone likes this.
  11. technomancer

Given responses to posts on the Ceriatone group about it, he is going to sell more than enough of them to justify introducing it :shrug: Especially when from a production standpoint it can use the same transformers and chassis as existing models so the cost to introduce it is minimal.

The FB group seemed like a more direct sample of the Ceriatone market than here or RT

12. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

The ones that I'm surprised that Ceriatone isn't building: Ampeg clones. At least two of their amps are towering classics (SVT, B15). Vintage B15s are getting somewhat expensive and are hard to ship with their cabinets. And yes SVTs are something of the industry standard as they are, so their build quality generally must be OK, but have you ever seen the inside of one of those things? Pity for the techs that have to work on them. A neatly, handwired turrent-board version would be a god send IMHO. Even the B15s switched to PCBs fairly early (in the mid '60s), and turrent-board clones would be very welcome IMHO.

But the Ceriatone market doesn't seem to have many bassists? There's no Hiwatt 400 clone either, and that would be amazing too.

13. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

That is the most badass looking orange head ever!

14. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

Yeah, that Ceriatone schtick is mostly about getting very rare or expensive amps (Dumble, Trainwreck, Silver Jubilee, etc) and make them in a more affordable and dead-on accurate copy. They're cheapER but still not cheap. I was in my OTS for ~$1000 by the time I was done and that's on an amp I had to build myself.

15. technomancer

Yeah and in this case it isn't exact either... but eh close enough :rofl:

For one of these after seeing what it actually is I'd just build my own (and plan to do so, though just a Jose variant tuned to my liking vs a direct copy of this amp)

16. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I think some of the other Ceriatone amps aren't exact copies either. I'm pretty sure the Dumble SSS is a Dumble-designed preamp into literally the power section of an Ampeg SVT (like, he pulled the board from an SVT and used it), but the Ceriatone SSS is a 100 watt model. Maybe there are some 100 watt SSS Dumbles out there (I'm not an expert!), but I do think the "original" SSS was 300 watts.

I was interested in getting the Ceriatone SSS and redoing the preamp to clone the SVT until I realized that it only was a 100 watt power section.

Randy, technomancer and setsuna7 like this.
  17. narad

narad SS.org Regular

All the usual top shelf SSS clones are like always 150W as far as I can tell, so I'd probably guess that. Getting up to 300W with 6L6s is pretty nuts!

18. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

The SVT is nuts. It’s silly, but every time I turn mine on, I kinda step back sheepishly afraid that it’ll just blow up or something.

StevenC likes this.
  19. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

That's a fair point. I'm mostly comparing the Ceriatone stuff to the price range of what you'd buy in a mainstream, production model "copy" in the same price range. Think, like, Soldano vs Jet City or JCM800 vs Windsor or Laney AOR, etc. The Ceriatone circuits or components aren't identical but for my :2c:, the reason they have the reputation they do is that they get the vibe of the original stuff a lot better than the usually more accessible alternatives.

USMarine75 likes this.
  20. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Hmmm interesting? How close will it be to the original? 70%? 80%? I'm just looking for something close to the Cameron Atomica or the Fortin Cali. The Meshuggah is a bit too dry and aggressive for me.