Carvin Vader

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by jc986, Jan 8, 2015.

1. SnowfaLL

SnowfaLL SS.org Regular

Probably because everyone is always saying "You guys released a new model?? I just paid for X model and I wish I knew you were working on Y model! What a terrible company!" so this way, least people know the FF Vader is in the works. They know calls are going to come in every single day asking about it if they don't say when its ready, so they decided to let orders happen now with a huge wait time (for their standards).

2. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

I made it through less than 1 minute of the video before closing the tab. So much b.s in his videos. "I tried so many multi scales, and they just weren't comfortable." The **** out of here with your used car salesman nonsense.

3. straightshreddd

straightshreddd Dat Dood

lol jesus, dude. Relax

4. BigViolin

BigViolin breakfast foods

Dunlop bridges kick all kinds of ass.

5. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Seriously? What kind of representative of a company would say that they think their product isn't the best? A former one, that's what kind.

Before I bought my first customized guitar, I went to numerous stores and tried out every guitar I could to determine which frets and fretboard radius I liked best. I can imagine he made of point of trying out several (even if they had to make one-offs themselves) to try different combinations of scale range and neutral fret location.

I tried a 27" scale guitar, and this morning I tried my friend's Ibanez Multiscale for the first time.

The Ibanez solved the issues I had with the straight 27, but the nut was just a bit too angled. Ibanez decided to put the neutral fret at the 12th fret, which informs the nut's angle. By moving it back a few frets, the nut isn't angled as much and I can imagine it IS more comfortable....for ME and how *I* play, but completely understand that it might not fit everyone...but if it is for me, I can imagine it would be for others as well...I'm not *that* strange...:ugh:

6. downburst82

downburst82 SS.org Regular

Yes pretty much, I just figured apple was a good general example to use. Is it mainly because of advancing chip technology people need new iPhone every year now? Or is it marketing?

I was just trying to say it makes sense from a business point of view to release a model...sell a bunch..and then improve it slightly and resell it again to people. Even to the point of delaying features/options you could implement immediately.

Not saying Carvin is necessarily doing this on purpose...but it probably will translate into alot more total sales that if they had just launched the Vader with a proper top and fanned frets.

7. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

How stupid of me not to acknowledge that this is, in fact, the "advanced" warning. Yeah, I'm all on board now. Not gonna get one, since straight scales work more than fine for me, but I'm stoked for those who wanted one but were hesitant due to missing features.

Now watch the bridge end up as some form of multi scale trem.

8. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Because all those android brands don't want you to buy a new phone if your current one is only a year old?

9. downburst82

downburst82 SS.org Regular

.....no obviously they are all trying to do that. I was just tying to give a brand example, would you be happier if I just said smart phone manufacturers?

Anyways..obviously it was a bad example/comparison as people have missed the point I was trying to make twice..( what was my point?...did I have one?...lets just move on :lol:)

I'm glad Carvin is offering more an more options for people :yesway: I think its win-win for everyone really.

10. cubix

cubix Spring of 86

The Android brands are forcing you to buy a new phone by simply "forgetting" the old model exists and stopping the support and updates as soon as something new comes out... lol :p

11. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, for me this is the advanced warning that they need to give. It's enough of a heads up that if you order a Vader today, you know you're not hanging around to see if a multi is coming out.

I think the phone analogy is decent, but the different is that there's a defined cadence in place. If you buy a new phone when it's released, you know it's going to have a life of roughly a year before the next one is out. I think what catches people off guard here is that we have no idea what the cadence of product releases from Carvin is, so it's difficult to judge if there will be something cool right around the corner or not. It's a double edged sword really, since if you don't release anything new, you stagnate. I think the only solution here that would make everyone happy is to not say something is "impossible" or will never happen, and then turn around and do it.

12. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

*cough* Nexus phones don't do that, traditionally, and now there are more models than ever to choose from *cough*. ;)

13. Splinterhead

Splinterhead Sojourner Contributor

This is simply a great lesson in supply and demand.
    The demand is there. While Carvin aren't necessarily early adopters they seem to be paying attention to what people want in a guitar. This is a good thing. A lot of other guitar companies do the same thing. I think it would be easy to name quite a few.
    Its a great time to be a guitar player with all these cool innovations coming out!
    I remember when it was about either getting a strat, a les paul or one of those pointy pink guitars. :D

14. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

mod edit: ok can we keep this on topic and leave the smart phone industry for the computer section

Anyway, it's pretty rare to see a guitar manufacturer actually go back and fix an issue in a guitar design and I'm glad they put in the effort to do it as it makes the Vader look more symmetrical. I kinda wish they had done a bit more at the nut end for the multiscale, for example having part of the neck wood show between the nut and the string anchor part.

15. Guamskyy

Guamskyy Hwat you call me?

Just let your voice be heard with Kiesel, have a lot of people agree with you, and then the next generation of FF Vaders will have the specs you want :lol:

16. BigViolin

I can't think of a more elegant and simple solution to the end of the fingerboard and angled nut situation. It's functional, clean and looks fine to me. Maybe someone else is doing a better job of this and I just haven't noticed. I think the Strandbergs look cool at that end but have way too many pieces with the individual clamps, I much prefer the hipshot or jcustom headpiece.

What I'd like to see, and it will probably never happen is for D'addario or La Bella to offer custom length double ball strings for multi-scales. I'd definitely pay extra to ditch the set screws and have a truly one piece headpiece. Double ball strings are just such a superior design imo.

17. cubix

cubix Spring of 86

You can be more elegant with seperate string clamps, if the string clamp is one piece then it leaves no room for tweaks.

18. BigViolin

I think I get what you are saying, you can angle the area that the strings are clamped upon with the individual clamps negating the dead space between the nut and clamp? If so I still prefer what Hipshot is doing but maybe I'd need to see it on a Strandberg with the same scale and perpendicular fret location as the Vader. I think I'd still prefer less parts.

Do you think the bridge will be all individual saddles or saddles within a unified angled carrier? I can't wait to see how the Hipshot bridge will look and operate.

19. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Placed an order for two Fanned Fret Vaders today, these announcements are insane. I was on the verge of buying an Ibanez Prestige 8, but the prices on these and what you can do make them far better IMO.

I don't see how people are complaining btw, they've released so many options and models since the revamp and the DC800/DC7X. It's been two years and they've developed that much, I'm sure they know they're not going to please everyone. And they shouldn't expect to.

20. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

This is kinda what I was talking about earlier:
    [​IMG]

Either just a finish, piece of wood matching top wood or part of the neck wood showing in the front. It hides the fanned fret and nut quite well I'd say.