Can Ibanez 7-strings fit in Ibanez 6-string cases?

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Pretty straightforward question -- my UV came in a gigbag, and would like to get a hardcase for it. I've always been impressed with the sort of Prestige/J.custom cases that are a hard plastic shell and pretty molded on the inside. Would the UV fit into one of those?

case_M20RG.jpg

Reaction score
... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
Generally speaking yes, but it will depend on the case itself regarding what guitar shape it was molded to. Generic RG style cases are suitable for 25.5" scale 6 an 7 string RG guitars, either with regular or reverse headstock. Do not get a lefties guitar case!

narad

Reaction score
UVs fit in 6-string Ibanez cases.

The foam can be a little extra snug by the neck, but it'll conform fairly quickly.

Also, Green Dots belong in pink lined UV1000Cs. Settle for no less.

Would be nice but that's going to be a hard one to find. I think it's probably even easier stateside.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Would be nice but that's going to be a hard one to find. I think it's probably even easier stateside.

Yeah, I was mostly joking. Folks want almost the price of a decent guitar for them these days. It's nuts.

But yeah, any RG case will work. For what it's worth, the "extended" case they offer (do they still?) for the RGD, is pretty much a UV1000C, but with a blue liner.

Those new MR500Cs are pretty cool looking too.

KentBrockman

Bite back with Kent Brockman!
Reaction score
Yes. I have mixed and matched cases between my RG1527 and RG2550Z.

I think that some of the older ones from the 90s with the black interior won't fit. If the interior is red, then you should be fine.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I've only ever used 6-string Ibanez cases with my 7-string Ibanez guitars and never notices any trouble with the fit.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For the record, Ibanez has never made a specific 7-string case.

They've made some specific long scale cases, but everything RG 25.5" or shorter has either shipped within the standard case, or its been the recommendation.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Random info;
They fit but the snugness by the tip of the headstock is tight. If you bump the case head on into something while walking with it the protection is minimal. Like a sheet of plastic and a 1/4' of styrofoam is what it is at that spot.. Walk with it backwards. Compared to the Uv1000c which has space there and any head on bumps are deflected to the horns into the case foam.
They are more water tight than the uv1000c's though, but not fully water proof in a big storm. I also found they press the strings pretty tight against the frets so maybe consider a fret protector for whatever guitar goes in there. I didn't like how it pinches the neck where it rests between the lid and neck rest. To tight,, imo. It compresses down on it. It's a couple inches shorter than a Uv1000c so it's snug. (I had rg7620's in these for comparison)
Both this and Uv1000c are great but don't sit them out in a rain storm for even 5 min. Water will seep into the cracks.

narad

Reaction score
Sadly one of the uv1000 cases popped up on a Facebook group today. Wasn't even scouting for it, just scrolled across it. Think it was $220 but was pending by the time I was awake in my timezone.

neurosis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The prestige case should fit, so would the M100 and M300 in my experience. Those fit both my Universe and RG550. But the M case I had gave me hardcore allergies. The glue had been off gassing or something and it smelled really intense. So I sold it.

Kaura

evanesencensencenenist
Reaction score
I have a RG1570 and RG1527. Both came in those cases showed in the op. At this point I have no idea to tell which guitar came in which case. They're identical, if you ask me.

Geetarguy

27inchScale
Contributor
Reaction score
For the record, Ibanez has never made a specific 7-string case.

They've made some specific long scale cases, but everything RG 25.5" or shorter has either shipped within the standard case, or its been the recommendation.
I have two Ibanez RG2027XL and the have this gold lined super perfect snug fit hs case that ive only seen on those models. I tried to buy at least one or two more for older 27” scale 7s I have but suppossedly you cant buy them they only come “with” that guitar. Its a bummer bc id buy more.