Can anyone describe NK 7 strings?

Roberto Djentz

The guy who asks too many questions
Reaction score
I've been recently looking into headless 7 strings, I've seen a lot of good reviews on the NK models from 2020-2022 especially after the upgrades they made to the hardware and routing. However, I'm curious to how the guitar feels. What is the most common guitar to compare it to?

Examples: is it heavy like a Gibson? Is medium like a Strat? Is it light like an Ibanez? Does it feel cheap and fragile like a Silverstone or SG? Is the neck heavier than the body? Does it need much work out of the box?

Looking for few unbiased reviews.

I'm personally not a fan of the satin finishes because most of the satin finish guitars I've played feel cheap. What is your experience?

Pros? Cons?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. 🙌😊

Last edited:

AkiraSpectrum

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There is an NK Facebook group [NK Headless Guitars Owners Club]. I would join that group and ask there, or go on YouTube and ask people with NK guitars what they think about them.

I am waiting for my NK guitar to be built so I am not much help.

I've heard that in the last few years NK's have been very solid overall. I've heard some people describe the overall quality of the instruments as similar to Korean guitars (Schecter, LTD, etc.), except with even nicer fretwork.

AkiraSpectrum

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
@AkiraSpectrum how did the ordering process go for NK? Any options they give you for finishes/woods/etc? Time frame?
Pretty easy.
I went to the AliExpress page and selected the guitar I wanted. In the order form you can add a note so I specified that I wanted Stainless Steel frets. I messaged NK through AliExpress to confirm that I wanted SS frets and Shi (builder) said he'd use SS frets on my build, no problem.

Since I was on the NK Facebook group I learned there is a person who is becoming an NK distributor for EU and he designed custom pickups for the NK 7 strings. I was going to consider buying them for my guitar. After talking to the guy, Martin in Germany, he said Shi had 1 demo set of pickups and gave the okay for Shi to put them in my guitar--I would then give a review of his pickups in the Facebook NK group.

I've heard you can message NK and ask for different finishes etc. and Shi (the builder) will usually be open to it. I thought about asking for a custom finish but decided just to go with the poplar burl top with blue burst option.

Time frame depends on how many guitars he's currently working on. Seems to be 2-4 weeks build time and then however long shipping is.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I've been checking these out as well as I think they're the coolest headless design around, and the conclusion people seem to have is:

"For the price, you can't get a better headless"

Now, with that being said, the finish issues and lousy woodwork on pickup routes and the "headstock" I've seen would be completely unacceptable to me on a 300$ guitar, let alone a 700$ one.

But if you want a cheap headless and don't care about finish flaws, they're pretty cool.

Roberto Djentz

Reaction score
I've been checking these out as well as I think they're the coolest headless design around, and the conclusion people seem to have is:

"For the price, you can't get a better headless"

Now, with that being said, the finish issues and lousy woodwork on pickup routes and the "headstock" I've seen would be completely unacceptable to me on a 300$ guitar, let alone a 700$ one.

But if you want a cheap headless and don't care about finish flaws, they're pretty cool.
I'm more worried about playability and comfort. I work at a music store with an excellent technician/luthiers so I pick up cheap to expensive guitars on the daily. I just worry about the overall quality when compared to other brands on the market. But as far as headless, I haven't played anything other than my Groteberg 🤣 (which is terribly flawed throughout the neck)

My key worries are 1: intonation 2: comfort 3: weight/feeling (does it feel cheap and light?)

😩

AkiraSpectrum

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm more worried about playability and comfort. I work at a music store with an excellent technician/luthiers so I pick up cheap to expensive guitars on the daily. I just worry about the overall quality when compared to other brands on the market. But as far as headless, I haven't played anything other than my Groteberg 🤣 (which is terribly flawed throughout the neck)

My key worries are 1: intonation 2: comfort 3: weight/feeling (does it feel cheap and light?)

😩
#1 I haven't heard anyone complain about intonation
#2 Most people i've seen really like the asymmetrical neck carve and generally describe the neck as feeling like its good quality
#3 to my knowledge the body wood is usually ash but it isn't weight relieved. Approximate weight on the site says they're 6.6 lbs. on average. Any guitar that is headless and has a body designed in this way is going to be lighter than most conventional guitars. Just because its light doesn't mean its cheap. I've seen the highest quality Strandberg's come out much lighter than 6.6 lbs. Heck, I've even seen Fender Custom Shop and Suhr instruments come in around that weight for a few models using very lightweight wood or chambering.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
They’re definitely m a decent deal. But there’s nothing super awesome about them, so IMO you’ll end up passing it up to play/buy other things once the short honeymoon period ends.

jahosy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Paid $500 USD shipped from AliExpress (discounted since delivery took over 3 months). At that price for a 7 string multiscale, i thought it was really worth it. Does it's job and nothing fancy about it. Stock pickups sounded decent, bridge feels solid and stays in tune. Pots and toggle switch felt cheap, but can be easily swapped. Love the asymmetrical neck profile (highlight feature for me) and fretboard.

Main reason for me though, is the 25.5-26.5 fan on the NK. Had an Ormsby Goliath but the 25.5-27.8 is too much for me. Other 7 strings i've owned / sold was a 25.5 scale Skervesen 4AP neckthru, and 26.5 scale Schecter Mach 7 FRS, both were OK.

Well padded gigbag
IMG_20220525_184612_resized_20220525_064944651.jpg
IMG_20220525_184618_resized_20220525_064944340.jpg

Very well setup when it arrived; super low action.
IMG_20220525_184718_resized_20220525_064944087.jpg

Asymmetrical neck profile.
IMG_20220525_184734_resized_20220525_064943515.jpg

IMG_20220525_184742_resized_20220525_064943831.jpg

Well concealed joint line for a 3 piece body.
IMG_20220525_184758_resized_20220525_064942726.jpg

Didn't like the body contours / burl top; so routed them off the and replaced with a 6mm spanish walnut. Made into a radiused top instead. You can also see the original state of the neck pocket and pickup cavities.
IMG_20220802_181537_resized_20220802_070744544.jpg

Beautiful fretwork.
IMG_20220802_182242_resized_20220802_070754546.jpg

Not sure about the consistency of their built, but if you're willing / prepared to put in some work (pickup / pot change?) to me it's worth it.

Roberto Djentz

Reaction score
Paid $500 USD shipped from AliExpress (discounted since delivery took over 3 months). At that price for a 7 string multiscale, i thought it was really worth it. Does it's job and nothing fancy about it. Stock pickups sounded decent, bridge feels solid and stays in tune. Pots and toggle switch felt cheap, but can be easily swapped. Love the asymmetrical neck profile (highlight feature for me) and fretboard.

Main reason for me though, is the 25.5-26.5 fan on the NK. Had an Ormsby Goliath but the 25.5-27.8 is too much for me. Other 7 strings i've owned / sold was a 25.5 scale Skervesen 4AP neckthru, and 26.5 scale Schecter Mach 7 FRS, both were OK.

Well padded gigbag
View attachment 111784
View attachment 111785

View attachment 111788

View attachment 111789

View attachment 111790

View attachment 111791

Didn't like the body contours / burl top; so routed them off the and replaced with a 6mm spanish walnut. Made into a radiused top instead. You can also see the original state of the neck pocket and pickup cavities.
View attachment 111782

Beautiful fretwork.
View attachment 111783

Not sure about the consistency of their built, but if you're willing / prepared to put in some work (pickup / pot change?) to me it's worth it.
I actually LOVE the bare/unpainted wood look 😳 that looks great, that is more my style 😳 I just haven't seen anything that looks like that on their store

Do you have an image of it put together like that?

AkiraSpectrum

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Well padded gigbag
View attachment 111784
View attachment 111785

View attachment 111788

View attachment 111789

View attachment 111790

View attachment 111791

View attachment 111782

Beautiful fretwork.
View attachment 111783

Looks great!
From your description it definitely seems worth the money. I ordered this exact model (blue burst poplar burl) and just waiting for Shi to finish building it.

Last edited:

AkiraSpectrum

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I actually LOVE the bare/unpainted wood look 😳 that looks great, that is more my style 😳 I just haven't seen anything that looks like that on their store

Message NK on AliExpress and see if he will do a natural (unpainted) top. Then specify what wood you want (veneer over top of the ash body; just the ash body itself with no top; or another wood type etc.). Send a picture of what you want to make things more clear.

Last edited:

jahosy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

It's a 2021 model. They have them in either ash or mahogany body, all natural satin finish. I've also asked Shi about sending a 5 piece wenge replacement neck :)

Roberto Djentz

Reaction score
It's a 2021 model. They have them in either ash or mahogany body, all natural satin finish. I've also asked Shi about sending a 5 piece wenge replacement neck :)
Do you have any images of it assembled? I may see if I can get it ordered in a natural finish like that, but I'd like to see what it looks like completed (if able)