BUYER BEWARE: PLOY 770

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Never send F&F and fuck anyone who says buyer has to pay the fees for PayPal. Would you shop at a store that charges you more to use your credit card? I know a few of those places exist but imagine if sweetwater said you had to pay 3% extra to buy a guitar with a visa .
Not just a few, it's becoming very common locally.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Where I live I’m seeing a huge increase of stores that refuse to take cash which I thought was illegal (or something).
So, there is no federal law making it illegal to refuse cash. There are federal laws making it illegal to refuse US dollars within the US, and there is a guarantee printed on cash declaring that it is necessary to accept it (the physical thing that is the cash) as payment, but the weird thing is that there's no written law backing up that guarantee, so... yeah, IDK. I guess another way to look at it is that you can theoretically make something illegal, but without any statute stating what the punishment is for doing the illegal thing, it wouldn't matter anyway.

VGK17

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So, there is no federal law making it illegal to refuse cash. There are federal laws making it illegal to refuse US dollars within the US, and there is a guarantee printed on cash declaring that it is necessary to accept it (the physical thing that is the cash) as payment, but the weird thing is that there's no written law backing up that guarantee, so... yeah, IDK. I guess another way to look at it is that you can theoretically make something illegal, but without any statute stating what the punishment is for doing the illegal thing, it wouldn't matter anyway.
There is no law stating that a person or business must accept cash for anything other than debt. https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/faqs/Currency/Pages/legal-tender.aspx

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
There is no law stating that a person or business must accept cash for anything other than debt. https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/faqs/Currency/Pages/legal-tender.aspx
Let's read that law.

31 US Code 5103 said:
United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues. Foreign gold or silver coins are not legal tender for debts.

It's not just for debts, but the way it is worded seems to have been interpreted to pertain to USD electronically or physical notes equally (even though it doesn't say that, but if you preconceive the idea that it does mean that, there's nothing there to contradict that preconception specifically). Personally, I don't see it that way, but I'm not a federal judge, so the government doesn't care how I read that law.

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
dont beat yourself up dude!!! this is how you learn, its happened to all of us. if you paid FF with a credit card you can charge it back too just an fyi
I used my debit card. My bank says they want evidence that I have tried to resolve the matter with the seller. I don't know if forum posts count for that.

Reaction score
... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
I used my debit card. My bank says they want evidence that I have tried to resolve the matter with the seller. I don't know if forum posts count for that.

You may use your email / SMS / Whatsapp messages. This thread may not be that useful since it's you telling the story, but your messages to the other guy may in fact work in your favor at the bank. Not sure how you'll prove the other guy ghosted you, but you can always show your message history at the bank...

dont beat yourself up dude!!! this is how you learn, its happened to all of us. if you paid FF with a credit card you can charge it back too just an fyi

THIS. Be thankful for being a relatively low amount. Imagine you were to buy a used prestige at today's prices... that would truly hurt.

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
You may use your email / SMS / Whatsapp messages. This thread may not be that useful since it's you telling the story, but your messages to the other guy may in fact work in your favor at the bank. Not sure how you'll prove the other guy ghosted you, but you can always show your message history at the bank...

THIS. Be thankful for being a relatively low amount. Imagine you were to buy a used prestige at today's prices... that would truly hurt.
I have all the communications in my SSO DM's. I can show that I didn't receive any messages after the 17th and checked in every week roughly.

I can take the cost, I'm just annoyed.

Reaction score
... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
I have all the communications in my SSO DM's. I can show that I didn't receive any messages after the 17th and checked in every week roughly.

I can take the cost, I'm just annoyed.
Those communications via DMs are useful since they are time stamped without replies.

... use the annoyance and make some heavy music!

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Did the seller get banned and/or nuked? Looks like the user profile shows zero activity now.

Best of luck with the bank. It ought to be a fairly straightforward case of "here's the agreement, here's my payment, then I never heard back and never got anything from the seller." If the bank tries to make you prove that you didn't receive the item, though, that can get really confusing really fast. I've had sellers pull that on me before- "prove you didn't get the item!" -but my bank has been too reasonable for that, so far at least.

b5jz5cvawyq41.jpg

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
@Blytheryn should publicly post his paypal account info / email so it comes up in google searches. If anything else links around to him, can save someone the trouble in the future. I always search those addresses when I'm doing deals.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Ahh, the old start a new account named "ploy" ploy.

Sorry this happened. In the immortal words of US founding father Benjamin Franklin: "Never trust anything any strange people tell you over internet forums."
It's really supposed to be Abraham Lincoln though.