Burning Hot Metal Takes

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Are you saying for all genres, or that if a band is playing like OSDM then they shouldn't have overly clean production? I agree with the latter of the two, but I don't think that same tone would work for tech death or something like that; with how much is going on, it'd get muddy fast.
I’m saying that I prefer OSDM guitar sounds and most modern death metal bands in general (non-throwback) are using pretty generic sounding tones, but also that modern DM tones are often really polished sounding and I think a nasty messy tone is a nice metaphorical reflection of the lyrics and vocals when the content is gory ass shit. I think that CC is a great example of a perfect balance- it’s gnarly, fat as shit guitar tone but it is still produced well and that is fine.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Bad production shouldn't be a thing anymore. Home software and plug-ins etc cost next to nothing if not free. You have no excuse for your music to sound like it was recorded on a 3rd graders toy microphone.

Says who?

maxresdefault.jpg

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'll take "bad" (amateur) production on good music over hyper-polished samey djenty deathcore all day every day. I'm not saying you can't have both, but given the high frequency of examples on both sides, I'm a lot more interested in someone who put work into making interesting, unique art vs someone who put work into polishing something that sounds exactly like thousands of other djenty desthcore projects.

Sammy J

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The current modern tech death scene of bands like Revocation, Inferi, Archspire et all does nothing for me. On paper they should appeal, but I find nothing that sticks or has any sort of staying power.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'll take "bad" (amateur) production on good music over hyper-polished samey djenty deathcore all day every day. I'm not saying you can't have both, but given the high frequency of examples on both sides, I'm a lot more interested in someone who put work into making interesting, unique art vs someone who put work into polishing something that sounds exactly like thousands of other djenty desthcore projects.
This right fucking here. I swear, every "djent" and "core" album has the same damn tone or close to it.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
The current modern tech death scene of bands like Revocation, or Archspire et all does nothing for me. On paper they should appeal, but I find nothing that sticks or has any sort of staying power.
Inferi are awesome, though.

FTFY :yesway:

broj15

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This right fucking here. I swear, every "djent" and "core" album has the same damn tone or close to it.

Personally I blame forums like this one and the popularity of axefx/Kemper/helix/other modelers and vst's/doing EVERY aspect of recording in a DAW combined with people being lazy and wanting instant gratification. It's just way easier and faster to buy an axefx and copy patches from the guitarist of some flavor of the month "prog" or core band (who's probably doing the same thing except he took his patches from last months flavor of the month) or fire up some plug ins that are cosigned by whatever "producer" everyone is dick riding nowadays.

Finding "your tone" is a slow process and takes work, and research, and disposable income. Not everyone has that but I guarantee that people in bands do, otherwise they'd be doing something more productive than trying to turn a hobby into a career.

And that's just the guitars. Don't get me started on how lazy people are when it comes to recording drums. It's infinitely easier to just program that stuff than it is to properly mic a drum kit.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Finding "your tone" is a slow process and takes work, and research, and disposable income. Not everyone has that but I guarantee that people in bands do, otherwise they'd be doing something more productive than trying to turn a hobby into a career.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, but a heady combination of poverty and lowered expectations has done wonders for my tone chasing. It helps that there's not much of a devoted base constantly trying to tease apart the minute variables of making the kinds of sounds I do, the answer tends to much more often be some permutation of "anything with a lot of headroom" when it comes to amps.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, but a heady combination of poverty and lowered expectations has done wonders for my tone chasing. It helps that there's not much of a devoted base constantly trying to tease apart the minute variables of making the kinds of sounds I do, the answer tends to much more often be some permutation of "anything with a lot of headroom" when it comes to amps.

I've found a lot of interesting tones with inexpensive pedals. Boss SD-1 into a Big Muff Pi yielded some pretty cool stuff.

Lan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Electronic music pushed musical innovation way further than metal ever did.

They are both broad genres, but when I listen to something like space laces, I find that sonically it just covers so much more ground, as well as having all sorts of diverse tempos, dissonances, textures etc. than most of the metal stuff I listen to.

broj15

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Electronic music pushed musical innovation way further than metal ever did.

They are both broad genres, but when I listen to something like space laces, I find that sonically it just covers so much more ground, as well as having all sorts of diverse tempos, dissonances, textures etc. than most of the metal stuff I listen to.
Really though, I love my elektron digitakt and it allows me to program polyrhythms and weird time signatures in a couple seconds thanks to it's powerful sequencer, as well as handling melodic duties, all while mangling everything from basic 909 one shots to whatever found sounds I feed into it into oblivion.

Reactions: Lan