Burning Hot Metal Takes

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
What's considered a "good" guitar tone nowadays totally sucks ass. I get that guitar is supposed to be a mid focussed instrument but we're getting a bit overboard with it. Doesn't mean it needs to be AJFA scooped but there is a point somewhere in the middle that's better than the scratchy shit bands are putting out now. Guitar tones peaked somewhere between 1994 and 2009.

Also, bands that get focussed on being technical (Archspire, among others) are terrible as a band. Great players all but they're churning out terrible songs.

drb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have chosen violence:

Prog akin to Dream Theatre may be technically proficient but it sounds like highbrow haunted house/halloween music that goes on for far too long.

It's extremely rare that weird time signatures are used in a way that musically improve a song. They almost always sound clumsy and completely arrhythmic.

Metal fans suck in 2 parts:

1) Some punish themselves by gatekeeping and only listening to terrible music based on instrumental athleticism and complexity, entirely forgetting it should also sound good.

2) Those that hate change and reject anything new or modern are hindering the genre. I don't want to go to festivals to see 70+ year olds headlining, butchering their outdated music because they aren't capable of playing it anymore.

I 100% don't get Gojira. Boring vocals, boring music, don't get why they're so popular.

The big 4 thrash bands are all awful and cringe. Metallica in particular. Their overzealous fans are worse.

Metal took a turn for the better with nu metal and metalcore and has been steadily improving since. Modern metal is fantastic.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
What's considered a "good" guitar tone nowadays totally sucks ass. I get that guitar is supposed to be a mid focussed instrument but we're getting a bit overboard with it. Doesn't mean it needs to be AJFA scooped but there is a point somewhere in the middle that's better than the scratchy shit bands are putting out now. Guitar tones peaked somewhere between 1994 and 2009.

Also, bands that get focussed on being technical (Archspire, among others) are terrible as a band. Great players all but they're churning out terrible songs.
It's all entirely subjective, but I tend to agree with everything here.

Nirvana really proved that any group of guys could make it big in the music industry by just doing what they prefer to do, and, after Cobain died, bands scrambled to fill the void with variety, and it was great until it eventually overcorrected.

CapinCripes

Trem Snob
Reaction score
The randy burns mix of peace sells is more fun to listen to than the Paul lani mix. Peace sells is Megadeth stylistically at their prime despite not being technically at their prime till rust in peace. There were only two real vocalists for black Sabbath, let's all stop pretending.

sylcfh

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't listen to modern metal bands much, but I see their effect on YouTube gear demos. You don't need to set the mids at zero, but there does come a point where you no longer have any crunch and it doesn't much resemble rock or metal. Having unheard of amounts of gain doesn't change this.

KnightBrolaire

mass cultivator
Reaction score
Alice in Chains never deserved to be lumped into grunge, same with Soundgarden. They were both metal bands that got lumped with less heavy and less interesting bands.

gunch

30 y/o metal zooner
Reaction score
I don't listen to modern metal bands much, but I see their effect on YouTube gear demos. You don't need to set the mids at zero, but there does come a point where you no longer have any crunch and it doesn't much resemble rock or metal. Having unheard of amounts of gain doesn't change this.
The new Ingested sounds fucking gross, nothing to be had except for farting duck mids. And they used to be one of the OGs of scooped downtuned death core.

broj15

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What's considered a "good" guitar tone nowadays totally sucks ass.
Fucking this!

Also Polyphia has more in common with pop EDM festival music than they do with any "respectable" prog band, and I mean that as a compliment just as much as I mean that as a diss. Also Chon did it better. And I guess This Town Needs Guns did it first. And while I'm at it a bunch of punks drinking beer in basements in Pennsylvania did it better that all of them back in 2007, and all they had were telecasters & capos (basically just listen to Glocca Morra & Algernon Cadwallader if you want shreddy guitars & pop hooks you dance and/or mosh to).

sylcfh

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The new Ingested sounds fucking gross, nothing to be had except for farting duck mids. And they used to be one of the OGs of scooped downtuned death core.

It either honks like a Canadian Goose or is so compressed that it sounds like a root canal.

Isaiah04

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A majority of Modern Metal play it way too safe now compared to before. Compared to the 2000s and below, theres hardly any real distinction between bands, productionwise and sound wise. Most bands are sticking with the Prog-Metalcore sound (architects) or Generic Deathcore sound (Plastic production and ambient breakdowns)

Melodic Death Metal is very hit or miss and is hard to make without sounding cheesy

Thrash is extremely stagnant and limiting

Prog/Tech Death can be very creative with writing, but execution can be hit or miss

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nirvana really proved that any group of guys could make it big in the music industry by just doing what they prefer to do, and, after Cobain died, bands scrambled to fill the void with variety, and it was great until it eventually overcorrected.

While I've never been a huge fan, this also speaks to the success of Foo Fighters. To me it seems Dave just kept working with the blueprint that did so well for Nirvana, if somewhat streamlined.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
I think that old school death metal guitar tones generally fit the genre better than modern death metal guitar tones. I love both but there’s something about slightly scoopy gross trem picked evil riffs that just fits the context so well.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I think that old school death metal guitar tones generally fit the genre better than modern death metal guitar tones. I love both but there’s something about slightly scoopy gross trem picked evil riffs that just fits the context so well.

Are you saying for all genres, or that if a band is playing like OSDM then they shouldn't have overly clean production? I agree with the latter of the two, but I don't think that same tone would work for tech death or something like that; with how much is going on, it'd get muddy fast.