Burning Hot Metal Takes

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If Alex Skolnick didn't use the Ibanez 540PII, it'd be just another weird '80s shape.

Shit, Alex himself seemed to prefer the 540S. :lol:

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
What's considered a "good" guitar tone nowadays totally sucks ass. I get that guitar is supposed to be a mid focussed instrument but we're getting a bit overboard with it. Doesn't mean it needs to be AJFA scooped but there is a point somewhere in the middle that's better than the scratchy shit bands are putting out now. Guitar tones peaked somewhere between 1994 and 2009.

Also, bands that get focussed on being technical (Archspire, among others) are terrible as a band. Great players all but they're churning out terrible songs.

drb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have chosen violence:

Prog akin to Dream Theatre may be technically proficient but it sounds like highbrow haunted house/halloween music that goes on for far too long.

It's extremely rare that weird time signatures are used in a way that musically improve a song. They almost always sound clumsy and completely arrhythmic.

Metal fans suck in 2 parts:

1) Some punish themselves by gatekeeping and only listening to terrible music based on instrumental athleticism and complexity, entirely forgetting it should also sound good.

2) Those that hate change and reject anything new or modern are hindering the genre. I don't want to go to festivals to see 70+ year olds headlining, butchering their outdated music because they aren't capable of playing it anymore.

I 100% don't get Gojira. Boring vocals, boring music, don't get why they're so popular.

The big 4 thrash bands are all awful and cringe. Metallica in particular. Their overzealous fans are worse.

Metal took a turn for the better with nu metal and metalcore and has been steadily improving since. Modern metal is fantastic.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Guitar tones peaked somewhere between 1994 and 2009.

Absolutely this. But not just guitar tones, but tones in general. 2010 onwards was also the rise of sampled drums and autotuned vocals.

The 00's Roadrunner era records still sound fantastic to this day.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
What's considered a "good" guitar tone nowadays totally sucks ass. I get that guitar is supposed to be a mid focussed instrument but we're getting a bit overboard with it. Doesn't mean it needs to be AJFA scooped but there is a point somewhere in the middle that's better than the scratchy shit bands are putting out now. Guitar tones peaked somewhere between 1994 and 2009.

Also, bands that get focussed on being technical (Archspire, among others) are terrible as a band. Great players all but they're churning out terrible songs.
It's all entirely subjective, but I tend to agree with everything here.

Nirvana really proved that any group of guys could make it big in the music industry by just doing what they prefer to do, and, after Cobain died, bands scrambled to fill the void with variety, and it was great until it eventually overcorrected.

CapinCripes

Trem Snob
Reaction score
The randy burns mix of peace sells is more fun to listen to than the Paul lani mix. Peace sells is Megadeth stylistically at their prime despite not being technically at their prime till rust in peace. There were only two real vocalists for black Sabbath, let's all stop pretending.