Burning Hot Metal Takes

Dr. Caligari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That’s not a hot take, that’s just factually incorrect.

I think not! I rather listen to St. Anger. I don't understand the massive hate for it. It's not fantastic but it's okay, there's some pretty cool stuff going on in some songs and the production sounds pretty good to me, way better than Death Magnetic for example, that shit is unlistenable.

Black Album is just lame radio rock. Boring, uninteresting songs.

gabito

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Potentially hot take: no one besides other guitarist's will notice if you alt/economy pick the opening to Master of Puppets, and especially no one besides them will care.

Yeah, nobody will notice. Maybe only guitar players who are looking at what you do. But you shouldn't care about what other guitar players think, unless you're looking for advice.

To my ear, the difference it's more noticeable in slow songs than in fast ones.

I used to be able to play MoP downpicking only, but nowadays I don't care (or can). IIRC John Petrucci alt picks it, and I'm definitely not better than him. It's a cool skill to have, though.

BornToLooze

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think not! I rather listen to St. Anger. I don't understand the massive hate for it. It's not fantastic but it's okay, there's some pretty cool stuff going on in some songs and the production sounds pretty good to me, way better than Death Magnetic for example, that shit is unlistenable.

I saw SKOM and get the reason for St Anger, and all that, but I probably wouldn't like that album near as much as I do if it wasn't so fun to play.

Zer01

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

With the 30th anniversary a while back, I listened to the black album for the first time in a long time. I was surprised at how bad the lyrics were. Sad but True was the only bright spot.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
All types of non-clean vocals are collectively the worst thing that has ever happened to metal. I do not entirely include screams here as many can still be clear. Any type of growl is fucking garbage though. The rest of the music has to do a hell of a make up job to be listenable otherwise.

nickgray

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
All types of non-clean vocals are collectively the worst thing that has ever happened to metal

3974fc10192611b5a8d12.gif

KentBrockman

Bite back with Kent Brockman!
Reaction score
All types of non-clean vocals are collectively the worst thing that has ever happened to metal. I do not entirely include screams here as many can still be clear. Any type of growl is fucking garbage though. The rest of the music has to do a hell of a make up job to be listenable otherwise.

I am not into the screaming but I am a huge Children of Bodom fan. Because of where the vocals sit in the mix, I can filter them out and I am only paying attention to everything else.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
I am not into the screaming but I am a huge Children of Bodom fan. Because of where the vocals sit in the mix, I can filter them out and I am only paying attention to everything else.
Yeah. It honestly took me over a decade to really be able to filter out/ignore/make peace with Death and Black Metal vocals. Too much good music to pass up. Thinking of them as some other instrument was the main thing that worked for me.

Reaction score
... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...

... and this is why I love instrumental music... It's pretty hard to find a good voice out there. Most are garbage and the rest follows closely. Then, when the voice is good, lyrics are often meh... combining good lyrics and good voice is pretty damn hard. Long live instrumental prog metal!... it's like DT minus James Labrie... perfect.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
I thought about it a bunch and came to the conclusion that I prefer Mop to Rtl. Creeping Death is maybe my favorite Metallica song but nothing else on Rtl is as amazing as that. Good but not like the songs on Mop imo.

Call of Ktulu!

There are some other good songs too. MoP was my favorite for a longgggg time, but I really like the sound and feel of RTL more now days. Call of Ktulu has to be the best instrumental metal song ever wrote.

Dr. Caligari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Call of Ktulu!

There are some other good songs too. MoP was my favorite for a longgggg time, but I really like the sound and feel of RTL more now days. Call of Ktulu has to be the best instrumental metal song ever wrote.

Yeah it's good! I mean I really like both albums, it's just Puppets has the t/t, D. Heroes (one of my absolute favorite songs), Sanitarium etc. Fade to Black is good but doesn't take off like Sanitarium, Trapped Under Ice is very good but no Disposable Heroes... on the other hand For Whom is quite a bit better than Thing That... Eh, both fantastic albums.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
... and this is why I love instrumental music... It's pretty hard to find a good voice out there. Most are garbage and the rest follows closely. Then, when the voice is good, lyrics are often meh... combining good lyrics and good voice is pretty damn hard. Long live instrumental prog metal!... it's like DT minus James Labrie... perfect.
even if the singer is good and the lyrics are (mostly) good, there's still the "irredeemable fuckwad" factor to account for. As such, I offer my humble contribution:

TOOL with no MJK

BusinessMan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This band’s entire catalog, but here’s one of the most recent:

I've heard a couple songs off blut aus Nord's new album and liked but fuuuck this is album is insane! Anthosmos is amazing and my favorite.

Another band I'd like to add to atmospheric black metal is gonna be ahklys. This is the band that really got me more into black metal.

Protestheriphery

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
James Hetfield should be exiled from society for his voice.

Also Trivium and similar are butt rock with breakdowns and solos and it took me almost 20 years to make that connection.
My first thought when I first heard Silence In the Snow was "Wait, are you sure THIS isn't the one that David Drain-man produced?" 'Until the World Goes Cold' is the hardest hitting P.O.D track, not written by them, ffs.

KailM

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've heard a couple songs off blut aus Nord's new album and liked but fuuuck this is album is insane! Anthosmos is amazing and my favorite.

Another band I'd like to add to atmospheric black metal is gonna be ahklys. This is the band that really got me more into black metal.

Yep BAN’s new album is incredible too, but not as accessible like Hallucinogen. My favorite is still probably Memoria Vetusta II but Hallucinogen is a close second, and has much better production.

Akhlys is sick too.\m/

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I used to think that way. Then my testicles dropped. :lol:

Just kidding. But seriously, I used to hate false fold vocals until I really really started paying attention. There comes a point where you can have a singer go full Halford and it's still just not enough intensity. Maybe the intensity doesn't have to be at 1000 all of the time, but if you're going to keep pushing that direction, I don't see a way around extreme vocals, unless (as @odibrom pointed out) you just go instrumental.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
Bon Scott was the greatest singer in the history of rock. There is no way to quantify it. There is no way to objectively prove it. And yet it remains true