Burning Hot Metal Takes

Dr. Caligari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Mahogany and alder do have certain sounds to them though. Not that every piece of mahogany sounds the same or every piece of alder sounds the same, but overall different species of wood do give electric guitars a different sound.

michael_bolton

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
guitar solos are terrible and almost never make a song better

it's always disappointing when I find a band I like and then 2-3mins in some jerk starts wanking out a bunch of noodles over what was at one time a perfectly good song

Depends on the style/genre imo. Stoner doom, drone, folk metal, hardcore with no solos or some simple melodic lines - no complaints. OSDM or thrash - not so much. Tons of OSDM bands popping up lately with some decent riffage but if the solos are weak/non existent - meh, gonna need to see some technical proficiency sir.

owlexifry

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Green Lung

holy shit this band is underrated.
so much more than just another stoner/doom band.
when i listened to 'black harvest' i was pleasantly surprised to hear a whole range of melodic harmonized power metal leads, and i guess what can be described as 70s prog-spec wall of sound type thing - from a stoner/doom band o_O

highly recommend this one

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Potentially hot take: no one besides other guitarist's will notice if you alt/economy pick the opening to Master of Puppets, and especially no one besides them will care.

If you're just playing around at home or busting out a cover with band or on your own, then yes. But as someone who played in a Metallica tribute band for 6-7 years, you're expected to downpick. I don't care if someone else choses to play the riff however they want, personally it sound better when I downpick it.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
If you're just playing around at home or busting out a cover with band or on your own, then yes. But as someone who played in a Metallica tribute band for 6-7 years, you're expected to downpick. I don't care if someone else choses to play the riff however they want, personally it sound better when I downpick it.

My knee jerk reaction is to agree as it's a Metallica tribute/cover and for authenticity sure - play it exactly like them; that said, I still think that even if someone is seeing a Metallica cover band, only the guitar nerds are still going to be the one to pick it up so it's really dealers choice. Are you going to hear about it afterwards if you don't? Yeah, from them. Will other audience members say it was a good performance if you don't? Probably, because at the end of the day, as long as they heard "Master..." played, that's what they wanted.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
My knee jerk reaction is to agree as it's a Metallica tribute/cover and for authenticity sure - play it exactly like them; that said, I still think that even if someone is seeing a Metallica cover band, only the guitar nerds are still going to be the one to pick it up so it's really dealers choice. Are you going to hear about it afterwards if you don't? Yeah, from them. Will other audience members say it was a good performance if you don't? Probably, because at the end of the day, as long as they heard "Master..." played, that's what they wanted.
If it's a band casually covering a song, then yeah it's cool and you can get away with certain liberties as long as you play the song tight and well. Though even the staunchest Metallica fans (a majority being guitarists), the small nuances like downpicking Puppets or even Creeping Death (no slouch either), getting the guitar harmonies right (this is a surprisingly big deal to some audiences) or backing vocals... a lot of that adds up to the overall experience of an extremely well known song. Again, casually covering a song isn't a biggie.

While we're on the subject of bitchpicking :lol:, another hot take:

You can justify your picking technique and not downpicking all you want, it doesn't matter at the end of the day... unless you're recording in a studio and your producer tells you that your riffs don't chug hard enough... then all the gain in the world won't save you.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
kazia is by far protest the heroes best album

Depending on the day, you're not wrong; it's tied with Scurrilous in my book, and any pick is going to make me think it's the wrong one.

That said, I have a Kezia tattoo so...

Dr. Caligari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think down vs alt picking makes a bigger difference than a lot of people will admit. I don't think it's just an authenticity thing at all.

If you alt pick MOP then it's true that most people won't go "hey, you're alt picking and that's bad" but the sound will be different and everybody will get a different experience from the music, regardless if they know/understand what alt picking is or not.

I think if MOP had been originally alt picked by Metallica, then the song wouldn't have had the success that it's had. Downpicking and the rhythm playing of Hetfield is a big part of what made Metallica so good. With alt picking you lose that percussive drive and that makes a difference.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
Depending on the day, you're not wrong; it's tied with Scurrilous in my book, and any pick is going to make me think it's the wrong one.

That said, I have a Kezia tattoo so...
i can understand that. same can be said for metallica since they've been brought up...

ride the lightning and master of puppets are tied (at least for me) for their best album and it depends on day which is better.

Dr. Caligari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I thought about it a bunch and came to the conclusion that I prefer Mop to Rtl. Creeping Death is maybe my favorite Metallica song but nothing else on Rtl is as amazing as that. Good but not like the songs on Mop imo.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I thought about it a bunch and came to the conclusion that I prefer Mop to Rtl. Creeping Death is maybe my favorite Metallica song but nothing else on Rtl is as amazing as that. Good but not like the songs on Mop imo.
I don't think that's a particularity warm take. I 100% choose MoP to RtL. My favourite track on RtL is the title track, but I think half the tracks on MoP are even better than "Ride the Lightning." Also, the production quality on MoP is so much better.

Totally different topic, but I miss the silliness that was bands naming themselves off of their best song. Like "Iron Madien" off of Iron Maiden by Iron Maiden or "Black Sabbath" off of Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath, of the genre Black Sabbath, released in the year Black Sabbath, track length Black minutes and Sabbath seconds. :lol:

Demiurge

Intrepid Jackass
Reaction score
Totally different topic, but I miss the silliness that was bands naming themselves off of their best song. Like "Iron Madien" off of Iron Maiden by Iron Maiden or "Black Sabbath" off of Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath, of the genre Black Sabbath, released in the year Black Sabbath, track length Black minutes and Sabbath seconds. :lol:
Maiden gets the edge here, going the extra step to include the song name in the lyrics.

Carrion Rocket

Taiwan is a Country
Reaction score
I don't think that's a particularity warm take. I 100% choose MoP to RtL. My favourite track on RtL is the title track, but I think half the tracks on MoP are even better than "Ride the Lightning." Also, the production quality on MoP is so much better.

Maiden gets the edge here, going the extra step to include the song name in the lyrics.
Bad Company beat Iron Maiden on that front by six years.