Burning Hot Metal Takes

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Time to die on a hill yall, what's your opinion that might be wrong but you stick by no matter what regarding metal or rock of any form?

I got a few

1. The Sound of Perserverance was a shining example of melodic death metal and Death was the OG melodeath band

2. Knocked Loose is just Norma Jean but tuned lower and with all the angst turned up to 11

3. Slow Job for a Cowboy songs are Avenged Sevenfold songs with harsh vocals

4. Angelmaker is what I expected Lorna Shore to be and Lorna Shore isn't actually as heavy as people say, in fact symphonic deathcore like that is on the softer side of metal

5. Midtempo groove based thrash is better than endless 0-0-0-0 gallop riffs, ex. Electric Crown by Testament opposed to Angel of Death

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Slayer should have been contractually obligated to include no more than one track over 3:30, maybe just 3:00, of actual music (so stuff like the atmospheric outro in Raining Blood doesn't count) per album.

gunch

30 y/o metal zooner
Reaction score
Time to die on a hill yall, what's your opinion that might be wrong but you stick by no matter what regarding metal or rock of any form?

I got a few

1. The Sound of Perserverance was a shining example of melodic death metal and Death was the OG melodeath band

2. Knocked Loose is just Norma Jean but tuned lower and with all the angst turned up to 11

3. Slow Job for a Cowboy songs are Avenged Sevenfold songs with harsh vocals

4. Angelmaker is what I expected Lorna Shore to be and Lorna Shore isn't actually as heavy as people say, in fact symphonic deathcore like that is on the softer side of metal

5. Midtempo groove based thrash is better than endless 0-0-0-0 gallop riffs, ex. Electric Crown by Testament opposed to Angel of Death
1. I can totally buy that Chuck picked up some melodeath influence toward the end but I wouldn't say Death is a progenitor of melodeath.
2. I don't have enough experience with new Norma Jean or Knocked Loose to make a comparison other than the vocal styles are starkly different
3. Couldn't say
4. ..
5. There is a place for fast, brutal thrash like Demolition Hammer, Sadus, Aspid and Beneath the Remains/Arise Sepultura

My lukewarm takes:

Psycroptic hasn't been good since the Inherited Repression
Immolation's first 2 albums are way better than Unholy Cult or Close to a World Below
Pig Destroyer's apex is actually the Gnob split and not Prowler in the Yard
Doug Cerrito was the secret sauce to pre-Despise the Sun Suffocation and the first Hate Eternal LP

Last edited:

KnightBrolaire

mass cultivator
Reaction score
1. Ghost is an awful blue oyster cult tribute band masquerading as a metal band.
2. Spawn of Possession is still the undisputed pinnacle of tech death.
3. Loathe is just a Deftones tribute band.
4. Fit For An Autopsy is doing Gojira better than Gojira.
5. Kreator is singlehandedly heavier and more consistent than all of the big 4 of thrash.

SexHaver420

I'm a transsexual disaster (✿ ◕‿◕)
Reaction score
95% of tech death is awful. Anata and some Gorod and stuff like that are cool cuz they have like actual structure and riffs and some grooves and stuff don't just wank to wank like Archspire or something.

Symbolic or maybe Human is the best Death album.

Metalcore and Djent are bad and I have no idea why so many posters on this site like those genres.

The past few Gojira albums have been as terrible as the past few Opeth albums. Witherscape is just the good modern version of Opeth anyway and Dan Swano has better vocals than Mikael Akerfeldt.

Attach files

Last edited:

tian

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I agree about this for the first two albums but their new EP legitimately elevates past angst and is a solid soundtrack for real trauma imo.
Opeth made a mistake
Mistake? Didn't they stop putting out albums after Watershed...?
The only band more overrated than Death is Ghost. There. I said it.
Boo this man!
4. Fit For An Autopsy is doing Gojira better than Gojira.
I think it was on here that someone called them "everyone's favorite Gojiracore band.." and I've been laughing ever since. That and enjoying the music.

Decapitated

Loser
Reaction score
Death fucking sucks. Fuck Chuck Schuldiner...he wasn't all that special. He had the Aaliyah ending where he died and his death blew him up to be this amazing talent when he wasn't all that and had he still been around he would have been a "where are they now".
Death By Metal really opened my eyes to how difficult he was to work with.

Latest posts