Boutique builders a la Tom Anderson/Suhr/Vigier etc that will do more pointy/extreme shapes?

Winspear

Tom Winspear
Reaction score
This may be out of the ballpark but wanted to throw it out there - Carillion guitars I think do more pointy shapes but yeah, that’d be more on the true custom side and pricier too I’d imagine.

Yeah gotta second that recommendation as a big fan and friend of his! Quite possible that you would exceed that $ ballpark yeah but might be worth asking and mentioning your budget to see what's possible..I think his prices did go up from what's in my memory though so may be a bit too much. I'm sure he'd happily work to a wider nut if you wanted though! I can say the X shape (Nexus) he designed at my request is absurdly comfortable and I can absolutely recommend people order it

jco5055

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah gotta second that recommendation as a big fan and friend of his! Quite possible that you would exceed that $ ballpark yeah but might be worth asking and mentioning your budget to see what's possible..I think his prices did go up from what's in my memory though so may be a bit too much. I'm sure he'd happily work to a wider nut if you wanted though! I can say the X shape (Nexus) he designed at my request is absurdly comfortable and I can absolutely recommend people order it

thanks Tom! If he would actually would adjust the nut etc I'd be verrry interested!

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd just go with a normal shape before Kiesel. I don't hate regular superstrats or anything, just a preference.
No prob. I'm so new to the upper end of the guitar world. I've personally really come to like Valenti and hope I can maybe order one from him someday.

jco5055

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
No prob. I'm so new to the upper end of the guitar world. I've personally really come to like Valenti and hope I can maybe order one from him someday.
Dude Valentine’s stuff is sick! And he’s such a good guy to talk to!

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dude Valentine’s stuff is sick! And he’s such a good guy to talk to!
agreed. I had said something to him because he did a guitar with a pale moon ebony neck, which I had never seen before. And that started a whole conversation.

dimebagfan01

Crunch Berry
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you it seems! King Vs are my favorite shape but with the prices of Jackson customs continually creeping further out of my price range, I've been trying to find a smaller builder that'll deliver what I want (basically the pro series King V with a reverse headstock, H/S pickup layout, and a crackle finish). Most of the builders I've come across and/or talked to either won't do the crackle finish or don't have a V-shape that I find appealing IF they have one at all. I had a lead on a builder that said he could do all of the above but he flaked on me when it came time to discuss all the fine details. Seems to me like the pickings are slim for those of us who don't want a "normal" shaped guitar.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
thanks Tom! If he would actually would adjust the nut etc I'd be verrry interested!

That shouldn’t be a problem. He’s full custom so when I ordered we changed the neck joint, forearm contour, neck profile etc and I think added a mm or two to the fretboard width on my second build. He’s pricey but makes incredible instruments and if you’ve got an idea like Tom’s for a whole new shape and unconventional fret positions he can build it.

jco5055

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That shouldn’t be a problem. He’s full custom so when I ordered we changed the neck joint, forearm contour, neck profile etc and I think added a mm or two to the fretboard width on my second build. He’s pricey but makes incredible instruments and if you’ve got an idea like Tom’s for a whole new shape and unconventional fret positions he can build it.

Thanks Lorcan! I think my biggest issue is just 1) the price and 2) with that I really don't know my specs enough to justify that price and level of customization..I can figure out semi-custom stuff a la Anderson but when it comes to having my pick of what I want a 9 piece neck made out of etc I'm a bit lost haha