Big Brass Block for Floyd? (7 string)

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by 0rimus, Jan 4, 2019.

1. 0rimus

0rimus SS.org Regular

So I bought a Douglas Hadron 727 and have been slowing upgrading it over time.

It came stock with what I assume (and hope) is the lowest derivative of Floyd Rose imaginable; which would make sense for a $200 guitar.

Have any of you guys swapped the sustain/spring block on a Floyd before (whether it be 7 or 6 or 8 or... Any amount of string guitar)? Were there benefits? How much did it improve things?

The current block in there is a flimsy little pot-metal sad thing. I found a 7 string enormous replacement brass block but for $40... I dunno.

Guitar sounds fine as is, not hurting for tonal improvements

Just wondering if it would be worth it or not. Thanks!

2. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

If it is just a cheap pot-metal Sustain block, the regular brass block would already be an improvement.

Comparing the regular size brass block to the big size brass block, the big one will be a bit warmer, fuller sounding while the regular one will be snappier with a bit more attack.

If you really like the guitar, i would probably save up the cash and get the original floyd rose if i was you.

0rimus likes this.
  3. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Worth checking the screw pattern on the baseplate you have first to make sure an upgraded block will fit. If it’s a random licenced Floyd Rose, they may not be using the standard spacing.

If it’s a Floyd Rose special, from what I remember, the 7-string version uses a different spacing than the OFR’s for some reason.

0rimus and Edika like this.
  4. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

And the Korean 7 string Floyd Roses have different spacing. Maybe they've changed that now but I tried on two guirars that supposedly have Floyd Roses and should fit and the spacing was wider.

0rimus likes this.
  5. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Yeah I had this issue with my jackson 7 with a floyd rose special - didn't fit the block I brought.

6. Mike_R

Mike_R SS.org Regular

My MII Jackson (6 string) has a Floyd and I just put a Floyd Rose branded 37mm big block on it (weighs 6.6 oz). It shipped with a slim 32mm block of unknown metal that weighed about 3.5 ounces. The new block/springs are hitting the back plate when I pull up on the bar, so I decided to step down to a 32mm big block which should still be over 5.7 ounces. I was going to trim the tall block down but I'd didnt know if I'd have to drill new holes so I just bought the shorter one.

It was actually pretty easy to swap (YouTube has some helpful videos) and I believe it was worth it. The guitar feels more resonant and closer to my fixed bridge guitars in terms of attack and sustain. It isn't a massive difference in sound but I perceive a fuller sound- that could just be because I feel it in my hands. It would be interesting to take a DI before and after and do a blind A/B. Some of the YouTube before and afters seem to show no difference and some appear to have a huge difference. My experience was in between, but I'll probably do a brass big block on any Floyds I get in the future. I can't see dropping $100 plus on tungsten or Stone and feeling it's worth it, but the $20-30 for brass seemed worth it if for nothing else but the feel.

0rimus likes this.
  7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I made this swap ages ago for the OFR7 in my Ibanez Universe (long story, don't ask).

My recollection was more or less exactly what BrutalRob said - a little more midrange, a little fuller, slightly less pronounced attack. Not "better" or "worse," just different.

If I were in your shoes, I'd swap out the whole trem if you can swing it - an OFR7 comes with a smaller brass block anyway, and is all around a sizable upgrade. Stud spacing is less of an issue for an OFR7 than a six since only one of the knife edges is curved, and the second, flat, knife edge gives you some more wiggle room.

0rimus likes this.
  8. 0rimus

0rimus SS.org Regular

Aw shite, thanks guys, totally overlooked the baseplate holes. Feel like there's a 90% chance they won't line up... But I might go for it anyway and drill new holes.

I'm too stubborn to buy a new trem that'll cost more than the entire guitar. Plus I'm a weirdo and already replaced the stock saddles with 'speedloader' non-locking ones. No going back to that bridge locking codswollup now.

This guitar balances the best out of all the ones I own; pretty much the only one my lame ass can play standing up.

Stupid as it may sound, one reason I want the ginormous brass block is to shift the balance body-heavy ever so slightly lol