Bias FX 2

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by narad, Mar 22, 2019.

1. narad

narad SS.org Regular

New BIAS is out, and usual social media guitar demo simu-launch:

Loads of features, but still sounds so bad? Haven't heard Fluff sound so bad in a looong time!

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Drink Sunny D, pet kitties.

ola sounded alright with it, but I still wouldn't waste my money on bias based off the other clips.

3. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Does anyone actually use bias? Seems like it’s always had YouTube hype but it never translated to actual users, past people using the app for practice or because they can’t afford anything better. And even then, half the people using it seem to say “yeah it sounds bad but I use it anyway.”

There was that Bias head that I never saw anyone use, ever, as well.

Veldar and I play music like this.
  4. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Everyone is making a commercial about Bias, and afterwards end up not using it in any situation. In my opinion even Ola can't get this thing to sound good.

I was really bummed when Epica started using Bias Heads, don't know if they still do. It was a huge downgrade in terms of tone from Dual Recto or Bogner Uberschall.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  5. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

Bias is the worst amp sim out there by far. HARSH highs and tough to dial in... Doesnt sound real at all haha

I play music and cyb like this.
  6. cyb

cyb Tune Low Play Slow

Bias was terrible in my experience. They are very good at somehow getting enough money to throw at youtubers to hype their shitty products though.

I play music likes this.
  7. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

8. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

I love Bias. It’s not my favorite amp sim but it is up there. I have a number of matches shot from my Axe III that are stellar.... It sounds better than my HX Stomp and Helix Native, IMHO.

People have issues with their marketing and pricing which I can understand but if you know how to work it (the PG workflow is a bit different I think) it’s a great product and this upgrade really is excellent.

c7spheres likes this.
  9. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I bought the first one out of curiosity. NEVER AGAIN.
    /Merlin

10. Catalyst Collide

Catalyst Collide SS.org Regular

Haven't used the new one, didn't like the old one. I feel that it's a bit overpriced. TH3 (or THU) and Fortin NTS get my vote for best on the market.

trem licking likes this.
  11. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Bias is a fucking Greek tragedy.

Such great ideas and concepts, but the tone seems at least a generation behind.

12. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

I ever thought it sounded that bad. The tone matching and tone cloud are great ideas. Presets from other people 70-80% of the time sounded like shit though - way too loud, way too quiet, or some other weirdness for me. But if you did your own tone matches to album guitar stems, or a real amp, then it sounded great.

The problem is their business practice. Obviously they are straight-up paying Youtubers for promotion, but the constant paid add-ons, the lack of support etc. means I won't buy from them again. Especially frustrating when half the presets don't work because you didn't purchase extra expansion packs with whatever pedals or new amps.

Compared to NeuralDSP, who have products which sound *excellent*, and are also constantly releasing free updates with lots of features. They added a whole cab sim section to the Darkglass pedal, even though I'd happily paid for just the pedal more than a year ago. And they just added two new pedals to the Nameless Suite, along with a bunch of presets from Ola, Teemu and others. That's great support and it encourages me to buy from them in future, because I know that whatever I buy will get better. With Positive Grid, I know I'll be nickel-and-dimed for new features.

mikah912 likes this.
  13. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

I liked Bias FX 1 as a replacement for my Line 6 POD Farm. Overall I could get some pretty good tones from FX1 but after I played some other amp sims I found they were more 'authentic/real' sounding than Bias FX.

I think what bothered me the most after comparing to other sims was Bias FX1 had a very unnatural low end attack to my ears.

I think Positive Grid did really well in the mobile market when they first came out, but everything they've been doing since has been lacking in comparison to the competition. It also seems like the mobile (phone) market completely disappeared.

I have yet to play Bias FX2 but I haven't seen anything that will make me want to try it again. FX1 was a resource hog and crashed way too often on me. Now that I've upgraded to Line 6 Helix Native I'm pretty sure Bias FX2 doesn't have a chance.

I would like to take this opportunity to share the only good bias fx 2 demo I've seen, and maybe its just because Lari Basilio is just a killer player that I like it, lol.

14. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

alright... I've gotta eat my own words here. Out of curiosity, i downloaded the demo of bias fx2... and holy shit they really did up their game finally! I've spent the last few hours trying out different tones and effects and this is WAY better than what it used to be. From this point on, i feel like i gotta quit hating on positive grid... at least in regards to the bias 2 software. As of now, I'd still recommend TH-U overall as an amp sim but this is now actually a viable option. should be even better once MIDI is implemented.

Elric likes this.
  15. Catalyst Collide

Interesting - is the demo full featured for a limited time or does it do that annoying cut out every 30 seconds thing? I was just thinking about this the other night - I had heard a couple other demos and figured I would do the same as you did. I'm a TH3 user as well, if it can compare to that the big thing that Bias has in it's favor it community.

16. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

You might even say you no longer have a bias

Empryrean, Lorcan Ward, narad and 2 others like this.
  17. sezna

sezna undermotivated

I think the high gain tones can be rough and digital sounding. When I need a random tone I don't have all the gear for though, it is a good backup plan to have.

edit: also when i just wanna add some effects to my signal post recording

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  18. Catalyst Collide

Just tried to install the demo to see how it's been improved. Downloads and installs fine, but both the plug in and stand alone version get stuck on the loading screen with no interface and no option to do anything but quit. Sent a email to their help desk, but I have low expectations since I'm not a paying customer. I'm on a Mac running Yosemite by the way (logic is my DAW). If anyone stumbles across a fix, let me know. Haven't found one yet.

19. c7spheres

c7spheres SS.org Regular

I really don't hear what everyone is talking about. I watched that Stevie T guy on a YouTube video titled BIAS vs AXE FX 2, so it's the older Bias and it sounds really good, and from what I heard the Axe2 doesn't sound $2,000 better for that tone. Is that video a lie or something then cause it says in the video there was no post processing etc. I don't see what is so shitty about the tone and for a couple hundred bucks certainly sounds better than stuff. What am I missing here?

Elric and WarMachine like this.
  20. Soya

Soya Poor person

Depends if you can get that sound in your own room/setup though. I too was persuaded by bias to run an iPad rig but I never got any gain sounds I was happy with.