Best place in Boston to repair a UV7BK

rippedflesh89

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place, if it isn't, I apologize.

I just moved to Boston a couple months ago and I'm looking for the best person to repair my UV7BK. The scarf joint has popped up a little. I took it to a tech in Denver and he said that it isn't an issue with the structural integrity of the neck but I can feel it a little with my thumb when playing around the 1st fret. It's been a couple years since I had that evaluated and everything is still good but it's a bit of an annoyance to me.

I've heard about Steve Morrill, Jim Mouradian, Equilibrium Guitars and Axe Palace. I'm just wondering what opinions anyone might have on techs in the area. I've been hesitant to take it to someone who isn't specialized in old guitars like this one because the finish (if there even is one on those old universes) will have to be sanded off the entire neck in order to make the scarf joint flush with the rest of the neck. In the end, I want to guitar to feel as close to it does now without the slight bump at the scarf joint.

I'm aware I'll probably mess with the resale value if I have this done but honestly, there's a very very slim chance I'll ever sell it since it's the most comfortable guitar I've ever laid my hands on.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
No help with that particular question, but I noticed there's a scalloped UV7BK in the for marketplace section for a good price.

rippedflesh89

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up! I saw that too but I'm not a fan of scalloped fretboards.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
Steve Morril is the only guy in the Boston are I would trust to do a repair like that,
he's done 2 refrets for me in the past (One recently on a 7620 that came out amazing) and does awesome set ups as well.
I'm actually going out there at noon tomorrow to drop off one of my guitars.
John Mouradian is also very good and he's done some work for me, but I am loyal to Steve.
Now that I recall he actually did do a scarf joint repair for me on a 88 RG550 . when he was done you could barely tell there was anything there

Frostbite

Periphery Shill
Reaction score
Equilibrium Guitar repair. Every time I get my guitars back I'm impressed. Ryan is a really nice guy and is backed by a guitar maker that is nothing short of top tier. Axe Palace, while I've always had good buying experiences, the tech work I've gotten hasn't always been the best. I think it's gotten better, and Nick is also a great guy as well so nothing away from him either. Just worth mentioning IMO. And I've heard a lot of people have had better experiences then I've had so YMMV