Best Helix metal presets for live use?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Pedro_ATV, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Pedro_ATV

Pedro_ATV SS.org Regular

Hi everyone,

I’ve been looking for some metal presets specifically for live use.
    I found 3 different companies that offer several metal packs for the Helix. Choptones, Sinmix and 3 Sigma Audio.
    Has anyone tried any of their presets live?

2. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Not sure it matters all that much but are you going through an FRFR or front of house PA, or through a guitar amp/cab?

3. Pedro_ATV

Pedro_ATV SS.org Regular

Front of house PA!

4. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Find what sounds best with your band.

5. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

I bought Atomic Amplifire Metal Plus Vol. I presets pack from Choptones, and they were dialed in somewhat horrendously. Way too much bass and really odd EQ moves in places they shouldn't be. And they use their own impulse responses like all of those companies. I was very disappointed, since I felt that their Mesa Oversized IR's were workable. But this conclusion may not apply to their Helix presets, it's just my experience with my own setup, taste and all that with different modeling unit. 3sigma I wouldn't bother either, because I don't like their IR's at all, they're very boomy and bit lifeless. You know if there is lot of low end and fizziness in studio conditions, it will be several times more in live situations.

From those I would try Sinmix, they make good IR's at least and what I've heard has been decent. Sinmix has good reputation along players who use modelers, and they even provide free sample presets and impulses, I even still have couple of free Mesa cabs from them and I see they've made a Zilla Fatboy impulse for free. But you never know amount of post processing and eq work inside presets, that's why buying presets is bit of a gamble.

If nothing works for you my suggestion is to buy impulse responses you like, and make your own presets. Good IR equals a good preset. Ownhammer and ML Sound Lab both make really good ones in my opinion.

6. Pedro_ATV

Pedro_ATV SS.org Regular

Thanks a lot guys, that definitely helps.
    I’m currently using one of the presets from Nick Hill (Modern Metal Tone From Scratch). It does sound really good but I just wanted to try something different.
    In that case, I will test the sinmix presets :)

Metropolis likes this.
  7. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

I think you'd be better off getting some good IRs from Ownhammer or ML Soundlab than paying for Helix presets.

Jeff and Ericjutsu like this.
  8. Metropolis

His presets sound awesome for modern metal, and I know he uses Ownhammer impulses.

9. Pedro_ATV

Pedro_ATV SS.org Regular

Thank you.
    The one from Nick Hill I’m using is with the ML Sound Lab IR (mesa oversized).
    I’m gonna try a couple more from him and buy Sinmix tomorrow as well.
    Thanks everyone :)

10. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

Yeah, get some good IR’s, and learn how to dial in the Helix with your band. Buying presets always struck me as odd. I’ve tried some the Glen Delaune presets and a few others, and they always sound like shit.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  11. Choptones

Choptones SS.org Regular

Hi guys, Choptones here.
    If you got any questions feel free to ask us.
    At the moment we've got several packs available for Helix (Patches and Tone Matching packs) and more than 200 IR pack, some available also on official Line6 Marketplace.

We use a top class studio equipment in our packs, many microphones, high level preamplifiers and converters.

We're sorry about your experience, but sometimes quick tricks to adapt our patches to your equipment might drastically change your opinion about a pack, and we're always available to help. Did you hang us a message?

Luckily dozens of customers doesn't think they're "horrendous" ;)

12. Metropolis

Thanks for offering support! Is there a reason for that much low end boost after the amp with graphic & parametric equalizer and at cab section? Is this the case with Helix presets too? Every preset has about 6dB boost at cab bottom which is about 250hZ, and it makes every preset so boomy. I don't really need that, so I dialed it off and things are much better now. But I still feel I can't use these because my own approach for preset making and what I hear in my head is so much different. I try to find a really good fitting IR first after making all neccessary hi/low-passes and dialing amp to somewhat where it should be and work from there with minimal eq cuts or boosts, no more than 4dB ever. Without making it sound too over processed. Amplifire is really sophisticated how all blocks and some of their functions really work, and it shouldn't be dialed in against how they've meant to work.

13. Choptones

Choptones SS.org Regular

There is always a reason behind some kind of eq or fx tweakings, you know we are in the business since long time ago, so we know very well the target we want to achieve :) . Obviously some people couldn't like (luckily many customers do), but youtube demos are there to show how presets sound like.

14. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Besides buying IRs in a preset are you basically just paying for someone to give you their settings?? If so you're assuming that you don't know what sound you like enough to dial it in but somebody else knows better?? I get it if it's maybe an artist's specific album tone but really just explore, I hate myself that I know I will never touch so many amazing things in my Helix I can't imagine buying presets and taking the adventure out of it but hey that's just me, don't mean to hate.