BC Rich USA Mockingbird Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by oscarnz, Jun 10, 2019.

1. oscarnz

oscarnz SS.org Regular

rich1.jpg rich2.jpg rich3.jpg rich4.jpg Hi Guys I'm considering buying this mockingbird just wanted to get some opinions as know very little about BC Rich (always been an Ibanez dude). Trying to date it the serial number is 95068. I think that means 1995? but then i ready that the serials on the neckplates are 2-3 yrs ahead of the guitar production?? As you can see the guitar has been attacked by rust so there is a bit of work to do on it.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 Jackson Elitist

Are you getting a huge discount on it?

Like fuck I haven't seen anything like this kind of abuse on a guitar

3. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

Holy shit that's gnarly! With that level of rust, you have to wonder how this thing was stored? Plenty of exposure to moisture. Is the neck still structural sound? Any cracks in the body and/or neck?

Anything metal is probably best replaced. Hope this is actually worth it to ya. Fun project but who knows what you'll end up with after all your time.

4. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 Jackson Elitist

IMO and this is definitely a IMO

I wouldn't buy it at all. With it being exposed to whatever for however long for rusting to be that severe I would be surprised if there are no issues with the frets or neck at all.

Take it into consideration that that also might be something that could happen to the guitar. IMO it is not worth buying it and doing all this work to it. Unless it is something that is your absolute dream guitar. Even then in my shoes, if my dream guitar was in that state, I would have to turn away from it

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

How much?

If the price is right, there's very little that can't be fixed or replaced.

Growing up in Florida, guitars with this level (or worse) in corrosion wasn't that rare. Typically, after a thorough cleaning, and ideally parts replacement, 99% of cases they went back to being great instruments. Older guitars tend to be very resilient when it comes to this.

6. oscarnz

oscarnz SS.org Regular

Hi Max, Bids on auction are $300 at the moment. The guy had it stored for 10 yrs in a perspex display case - you know the ones with a window on the front and when he took it out of storage was like this so i suspect changes in temperature may have caused it to sweat inside that case.
    Do you have any experience with the bc rich trems? I'm knowledgeable on the edge and original floyds but this one looks like a licensed maybe asian made floyd of some description.

7. MaxOfMetal

Yeah, I'd probably be okay grabbing this for $300, but not much more.

I'm in no way an expert on these, but it's going to probably need new hardware anyway, so I wouldn't worry about what's on there. But you're correct in assuming it's a cheaper LFR. At best it's Takeuchi made, the time frame is right, at worst it's no-name MIC.

8. oscarnz

oscarnz SS.org Regular

I'm down under so it's actually $300 New Zealand about 200 bucks US at the moment. Do you think I've got the date right 1995? The bc rich forums seem to be defunct now

9. MaxOfMetal

There's a BCR production date thread around here somewhere. Some knowledgeable folks in there who might be able to help.

It looks to be early/mid 90's to me. But, again, I've never been really into BCR so I'm by no means an authority.

10. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

Now that's relic!

Also, truss-rod is likely to be in the same condition.

JustinRhoads1980 and efiltsohg like this.
  11. MaxOfMetal

It depends. Usually they're pretty well insulated from stuff like this. The nut is probably corroded, but it's usually made out of better stuff than the screws and cheap LFR components, so it's likely workable.

Again, if the price is right (and $200 USD ain't bad) swapping out the truss rod isn't rocket science.

This guitar is going to need some TLC, that's for sure. I'd only recommend grabbing it if you know what you're doing or know someone who does and is willing to give you "friend prices" for the work.

12. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

I don't know what everyone's on about, he's just preserved it for 10 years in a cask of salt, as you would.

nyxzz and aesthyrian like this.
  13. nikt

nikt LACS Lover

Now I get, where the Bronze Series name came from. :)

Adieu likes this.
  14. mogar

mogar SS.org Regular

If you can get it for under $500, I'd do it. New hardware, pickups, electronics, tuners, and a fret level/crown/polish and you got a USA BCR for under a grand.

15. CapinCripes

CapinCripes Trem Snob

It was made at some point between 1987 and 1995, im guessing slightly before class axe took over the USA side of things.

That being said bolt on USA BCR's are an absolute can of worms when trying to date them, they tended to take pre stamped neck plates out of a box and serial numbers were non sequential for the most part and are almost meaningless to the point that you would want to date by other things such as features. Class axe usa guitars generally had a TM stamp above the made in usa line on the logo, but not always as they used left over bodies and necks that would not have that necessarily. This could be a class axe body with a pre class axe neck. The heel carve leads me to believe that it may be a usa body but im not 100% on that. For the most part the only really desirable bolt on bc riches are gunslingers and to a small degree ST-IIIs and warlocks. If I was buying this id be buying it for the neck at this point.

16. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

It's hard to get over how rusted everything is, but it's not really different than any other restoration project. OP, are you thinking of refinishing it?

17. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

I reckon it's an early 1912 model...went down with the Titanic and was salvaged..;-) Seriously though..I'd buy that at the right price. Would be the mother of all restoration projects but it's doable.

18. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Damn those strings are so rusty they actually rusted the fretboard! Kidding aside if you're up to the TLC that this will require, get it cheap enough and are a big fun of Mockingbirds then it'll be worth it. Personally I wouldn't go near it without at least doing a tetanus shot!

IbanezDaemon likes this.
  19. oscarnz

oscarnz SS.org Regular

Thanks CapinCripes for that excellent info..much appreciated. Just one last question is the bolt on mockingbird 24 5/8" scale or 25.5?
    If I get it will do the work myself apart from fret leveling. Don't think it needs refinishing I can buff the swirls marks out of the body

20. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Could be a PITA if stuff is so rusted it snaps off or disintegrates when you attempt to remove it

Beware, could also be warped wood