Bass into guitar cab without octave up?

JxHx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hello djentle people! Let me hear your ideas!
This is the deal: I am currently on a djent/stoner/instrumental project with a drummer, only on this one I am playing a 8-string guitar dropped to E. It sounds delish but we often miss a bass to accompany.
I have both guitar and bass stacks, and was thinking about splitting the signal into both cabs, "Royal Blood style". BUT! I prefer to play bass. And, since I want to replace the 8-string guitar dropped to E, I wouldn't be using and octave up into the guitar amp.
I would like to hear your opinions on how to accomplish this without blowing the guitar speakers. Don't be afraid to get technical =]
Opinions on tone are also appreciated.
My guitar amp is a Peavey 6505 into a Marshal AVT412XA (4x12 for moving air) and a Harley Benton 212 Vintage (2x12 Celestion V30 for the nice crispy tone). I use two noise gates, have several overdrives as boost to try, compressor and a 10-band EQ. Also I have a simple high-pass filter which could be useful.
If plan A fails, plan B is using the guitar and trying to make it sound like a bass.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I've had no issues plugging a bass into guitar heads so far. Most, including myself would recommend pairing it with a bass cab. That said, I heard Wolfgang Van Halen was using EVH guitar amps for his bass rig on some of the VH tours and got away with it nicely.

A good octave pedal is the way to go, and Royal Blood are a great reference point. The bassist is extremely secretive on his rig, but he's reported to use an EHX POG, so that'd be a good start. Any version should do the trick but a POG2 would be best for optimum tone shaping. The TC Sub N Up is also very good. I haven't tried the new Boss OC5 (the only OC with an Octave Up option) but it's worth checking out to see which unit works best for your playing. You may have to experiment with dialing your tone as upper octaves could sound like an undesired steel drum effect.

Since you're incorporating stoner elements, it'd probably be worth checking out a bunch of Octafuzz pedals (any fuzz that can get an octave up overtone that mixes with the original signal). Earthquaker Devices have a few cool ones like the Hoof Reaper, Fuzz Master General and Tentacle. Check out any video with Juan Alderete (pedals and effects) where he makes awesome demonstrations of them.

For me, I've used my bass into a Peavey Triple X head > Sovtek bass cab with a whammy pedal to play faux guitar solos. Did it twice (3:52 and 7:44) on this track:

Best of luck! :yesway:

JxHx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks for the insights. And congratulations on your band; I dig it!

Since the drop-E on a 8-string guitar and the E on a 4-string bass are the same (E1, 41 Hz), I wanna keep it low by not using a octave down. That's my main concern: what do I have to do to the bass' E1 signal for it to sound like a tight metal guitar and not blow up my speakers?

Cheers!

I've had no issues plugging a bass into guitar heads so far. Most, including myself would recommend pairing it with a bass cab. That said, I heard Wolfgang Van Halen was using EVH guitar amps for his bass rig on some of the VH tours and got away with it nicely.

A good octave pedal is the way to go, and Royal Blood are a great reference point. The bassist is extremely secretive on his rig, but he's reported to use an EHX POG, so that'd be a good start. Any version should do the trick but a POG2 would be best for optimum tone shaping. The TC Sub N Up is also very good. I haven't tried the new Boss OC5 (the only OC with an Octave Up option) but it's worth checking out to see which unit works best for your playing. You may have to experiment with dialing your tone as upper octaves could sound like an undesired steel drum effect.

Since you're incorporating stoner elements, it'd probably be worth checking out a bunch of Octafuzz pedals (any fuzz that can get an octave up overtone that mixes with the original signal). Earthquaker Devices have a few cool ones like the Hoof Reaper, Fuzz Master General and Tentacle. Check out any video with Juan Alderete (pedals and effects) where he makes awesome demonstrations of them.

For me, I've used my bass into a Peavey Triple X head > Sovtek bass cab with a whammy pedal to play faux guitar solos. Did it twice (3:52 and 7:44) on this track:

Best of luck! :yesway:

JxHx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. But that's still a bass sound, right? How do I make it sound like a guitar?

I've toured with bands that used a 5150 through a Marshall 412 cab for bass. I think lots of bands have done it.

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. But that's still a bass sound, right? How do I make it sound like a guitar?

Distortion, shorter scale, thinner strings, not using thumpy and slappy techniques, using higher notes more

Last edited:

aceshigh92

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Something like the KMA Tyler splitter should work (cheaper alternatives probably available this was the first that came to mind). Send the high frequency signal to the guitar rig and the low freqs to the bass rig. Add some overdrive on the guitar side and compression on the bass side and you should get something pretty decent.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I'm personally always a little leary of putting bass through a guitar cab, particularly if you're going to try to push any real low end through it. A hi-pass or something is probably a good idea if you're not running it through gear that isn't already going to roll the bottom off. Using a guitar head or something might be safe, but I'd personally avoid putting a bass amp through a guitar cab if you end up going down that road. I used a 4x12 as a bass cab a long time ago and while it didn't die, the speakers certainly protested and I've no doubt I shortened their life span - and it didn't sound great either.

I guess the tl;dr would be - pay attention to what you're hearing. There's a good chance that if some part of the chain doesn't like what you're doing, it'll tell you by sounding bad, but that's not a guarantee.

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Imho the AVT cab could be a problem, but heavy duty heavy mag high wattage top of the line ("real") Celestions should probably be OK

JxHx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Definitely never a bass amp through a guitar cab! The signal will go into the 6505, after at least a high pass filter.

The 6505 (120 W) is connected to a 4x12 (200 W) and a 2x12 (120 W), so the wattage is split in two for another fail-safe.

And hell yeah I am playing the "guitar" signal path by itself so I am sure there's no speaker farting before I add the bass path.

Cheers, mate! Thanks for chiming in.

I'm personally always a little leary of putting bass through a guitar cab, particularly if you're going to try to push any real low end through it. A hi-pass or something is probably a good idea if you're not running it through gear that isn't already going to roll the bottom off. Using a guitar head or something might be safe, but I'd personally avoid putting a bass amp through a guitar cab if you end up going down that road. I used a 4x12 as a bass cab a long time ago and while it didn't die, the speakers certainly protested and I've no doubt I shortened their life span - and it didn't sound great either.

I guess the tl;dr would be - pay attention to what you're hearing. There's a good chance that if some part of the chain doesn't like what you're doing, it'll tell you by sounding bad, but that's not a guarantee.

JxHx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The pedal always got me intrigued. Definitely on my list. I'm gonna try using a splitter and a high pass filter I already have before forking out that kind of cash, though =]

Something like the KMA Tyler splitter should work (cheaper alternatives probably available this was the first that came to mind). Send the high frequency signal to the guitar rig and the low freqs to the bass rig. Add some overdrive on the guitar side and compression on the bass side and you should get something pretty decent.

JxHx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
AVT is a 4x12 rated at 200W, whereas the 2x12 with Celestions is rated at 120 W. And the 6505's 120 W will be split in two. With a high pass filter I am getting more and more confident. =]

Imho the AVT cab could be a problem, but heavy duty heavy mag high wattage top of the line ("real") Celestions should probably be OK

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Plenty of people do it, but that doesn't necessarily make it a good idea. I wouldn't run bass at any substantial volume through a guitar cabinet. The low E of a bass is going to have a lot more low-end information than the low E of an 8 string guitar, and if you're pushing those speakers at high volume it could very well damage them, bass amp or not.

I specifically wouldn't run bass through a guitar cab for anything with "stoner" in the name, because if you're doing it right you should be rattling tooth sockets.