Baritones and ERGs - The State of Things

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by BananaDemocracy, Apr 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

This is a great point. When I play my ERGs I have to think about the fretboard differently, muting differently, picking differently, like you said. I mostly just love that with my 9 string I can do a tapping run between the 11th and 17th frets that would require a low Ab negative fret on the bottom string-17th fret high E on a seven string. Going back to a 6/7 string after playing my 9s for a few weeks make it feel and sound like a ukulele.

2. Chris Bowsman

Chris Bowsman SS.org Regular

I should say, I spent a lot of time in the Nu-Metal years angry that a bunch of dudes were duct-taping straps to PRS guitars so they could bash on the bottom 3 strings :)

GunpointMetal likes this.
  3. GunpointMetal

That's another thing that cracks me up about the "why don't you just buy a bass/why don't you just play a baritone" crowd. My real-life experience is that they usually end up worshipping at the alter of thrash or nu-metal, which, c'mon, most of those guys (aside from leads) could have gotten away with a 2-3 string guitar, too.

4. r3tr0sp3ct1v3

r3tr0sp3ct1v3 Grey

I don't wear all my shoes at once, maybe I should only have one pair.
    I don't pet all my kitties at once, maybe I should just have one.
    I don't eat my Big Mac combo at the same time, maybe I should just get a sandwich.

It's almost like people have preferences and personal choices. I never would have thought.

Should have gone with a more clickbait title bro

" ARE ERG'S DEAD?!?!?!"

5. soldierkahn

soldierkahn BAD MAMMA-JAMMA Contributor

well im sure that anyone who knows me knows how much ive obsessed over the XL series for years and years now, constantly screaming that the RG1077XL should be the industry standard for 7 strings lol. Once I played the 1077, nothing else could compete with it for comfortability and sound. But then I began my hunt for the 6 string version, the 970XL.

Ten years later, I landed 2 of those RG970XLs, just got my RG1077XL in today, and my RG2027XLS will be here probably August -ish. Its strange, no matter how nice the guitar is, if its shorter than 26.5", I cant stand playing it. I had a Prestige RGA uppercut model, and it was just gathering dust because id reach for my XLs instead. They even do Drop D better lol.

The only time i ever notice that i am playing a long scale 6 is when Im trying to play certain Lamb Of God songs.... they really exploit their 24.75" scales to the max lol

6. Dayn

Dayn silly person

I'm convinced, at least. I'm going to get a 61-key piano, a 76-key piano, an 88-key piano, and also a 97-key piano.

...Actually, that'd be expensive. I'll just buy a 61-key piano and tune it down.

7. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

If you personally can play that 7, 8, or 9 string like a piano, by all means buy it. Otherwise keep on chugging like 80% of 8 and 9 string players.

8. Dayn

Dayn silly person

I like playing in the lowest three octaves on the piano, so that sounds good to me.

Albake21 likes this.
  9. BananaDemocracy

BananaDemocracy 8 String Impaler

You’d literally need to be 6’5” or have the proportions of someone Paul Gilbert (or Steve vai ) size to play 8 strings, def 9 strings comfortably .... to be totally honest. And if those two giants with giant hands , who are arguably two of the greatest shred virtuosos that ever played,don’t or won’t play 8/9 + string “guitars” there IS a reason for it. The only true shredder (real virtuosos from the 1980s, again no offense but I’m just being blunt) who plays an 8 string is Macalpine and I beleive he gave that up.

Now I didn’t mean to offend anyone or make anyone feel stupid for an obvious choice, but I really believe my honest and very respectful question makes a lot more sense than most of the defensive (“well I like m0ar cuz it’s better” )replies, which is clear to even the respectful guys that disagreed with the very obvious point I disclaimered, so I don’t know why so many go outta the way to make the questions sound stupid to ask when they are making more sense than most answers

But anyway I definitely am leaving the ERG sub forum even more convinced that baritone 6s are the REAL ERG, anything else is a baritone XL+ (plus standing for extra strings ), so if anyone is offended by that...oh well

I’m sticking to my majesty 7 string anyway, I came here for 7s, asked about 8-10 because they didn’t make sense to me, and if ulike them then that’s is really great....i came because it was SSO org, so I’ll stay for SSO if that’s alright with y’all

::heads back to the seven string guitAr subforum::

10. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Well it's not like you can't just buy all the guitars.

Plus 8 strings give you different options.

Plus I don't know why body size has anything to do with it. A headless 8/9 string is smaller than my regular baritone.

Sara longfield is tiny and plays an 8 fine.

11. GunpointMetal

The reason is they came up in the 80s and 90s focused on playing shreddy leads so they're playing style is adapted to the instruments they use. Also they're playing an entirely different genre of music than most ERG players. But, hey I like anecdotal evidence to be perceived as a factual if it asserts my point.

Ultimately the answer to the questions of "Why does anyone play 8-9-10 string guitars when baritones exist?" is .... "Because they want to." And that's all the logic that is required.

Shout into an echo chamber and of course you'll reinforce your theory, lol.
    The only thing "offensive" about it is that you think you've discovered some universal truth about the subject.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    LordIronSpatula and XPT707FX like this.
  12. Chris Bowsman

Chris Bowsman SS.org Regular

I’m 6’2” and have average sized hands. My TAM10’s neck was super intimidating at first, but after a few weeks, im making my way around it.

Anyone who has seen a little kid shred on a normal sized guitar knows none of that size stuff really matters.

13. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I got a 7-string years and years ago without knowing any 7-string riffs or licks. I just wanted one. Seemed like it would be fun. Got an 8-string on a lark and have moved mostly to using only 8-strings because it's not any harder to play than a 7-string but has more options available.

I barely use the low B string. I have no idea what to do with the low F# string other than be obnoxious with it. But I don't have to use them; I can just play my stupid radio rock/grunge/metal whatever stuff on the top six strings. I can fake some of the drop D stuff without having to retune by using the low B string. And when the mood strikes, I've got the extra ten notes to do whatever. Which for now is lots of silly 000-000-000 stuff or bassist-type octave jumping (whatever they call it when you quickly slap/pop the root note and its octave two strings up).

And the dive bombing. Ohhhh the dive bombing.

Masoo2, StevenC and GunpointMetal like this.
  14. kisielk

kisielk SS.org Regular

I'm 6'1" and don't think I have particularly huge hands, I can play my RG2228 just fine. I can't do super technical shredding but that's mostly just my general lack of ability currently more so than the guitar. 8 string necks aren't even that wide: an RG2228 is 54mm at the nut, an average nylon string classical guitar is 52mm, and they usually have a rounder / thicker neck profile.

Masoo2 and XPT707FX like this.
  15. Dayn

Dayn silly person

Okay, all fun and games aside, that's just bloody absurd. My small friend with tiny girl hands can just manage my 8-string (although she doesn't like playing that stuff). There are plenty of people who play it comfortably - a cursory glance at Youtube videos will show that. I don't have fingers as long as Vai and I can play 10-strings comfortably. I can barre all 8 strings up to the 17th fret (but not any more because the cutaway blocks my hand). Plus, there's been tonnes of 8+ string instruments over the centuries that have been played.

And that's not even addressing how ludicrous it would be to suggest that 'shredders' would be shredding in such a low register on such heavy strings to begin with.

Masoo2, XPT707FX and kisielk like this.
  16. r3tr0sp3ct1v3

r3tr0sp3ct1v3 Grey

Baritone's are not the "REAL ERG". They aren't extending range, they are just extending scale. You still have 6 strings. 8-9 allow you to have the low tunings of a tuned down 7 or 6 with the EXTENDED range of still having your high strings

17. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

The thing you might be missing about 7/8 string is that as well as extending the range overall, you also have available an extended range in any given position on the fretboard, whereas with a baritone you get the lower range but you don't get extended range per position.

18. Thaeon

Thaeon Professional Nerd

Different tools for different jobs. We like to talk about these extra strings like they haven't been around or popular before. But the question being asked is context based. The Tick-Tack Bass as they call in country music (Baritone) has been around for a LONG time. Since the 60's. All that Ennio Moricone spaghetti western stuff was recorded with one. Its been a studio weapon of choice for country bands for decades. 8, 9, and 10 course stringed instruments, including guitars have been around for 4-500 years. It's not new. Its less common. Simply for the fact that the classical guitar and spanish guitar became popular in chamber music and ensembles where you would have multiple voices playing at once in different octaves in counterpoint. Generally four to five voices like the Bass, Cello, Viola, and Violin. As far as instrument range goes, the 8 string I'm waiting on has 27 frets. So I've added nearly an octave on one end and a minor third on the other. I don't know why this is an argument. It's also not generally jazz guys making it. More notes means more options to them. When recording, I'm going to use my 8 on everything, whether or not the part played on it is the one chosen for live.

19. GunpointMetal

EXACTLY. A baritone six has the same “range” as far # of notes, it’s just shifted into a lower note range.

20. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

The point about size, given how I tower at 5'6" and have a pretty knackered left hand pinky on what is a small hand by any comparation, doesn't really make that much sense to me. More often than not, it's really posture dictating comfort unless the instrument is an ergonomic disaster (which can and does happen), to be honest.

Thaeon and GunpointMetal like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.