AX8 now or FM3 ((much)) later

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by BananaDemocracy, May 14, 2019.

Ax8 now or wait for fm3?

Poll closed May 21, 2019.
  1. Ax8: resell later to buy fm3

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. Just wait, it’ll be sooner than expected

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  1. BananaDemocracy

BananaDemocracy 8 String Impaler

please tell me what you would do

I need an amp, so I want something under 1000 that’s kemper or axe recording level

There is the AX8 and the upcoming fm3

I just got on the waitlist so I’m told fractals waitlists can be months if not years

One kind member offered to sell me an ax8 meanwhile

Would you hold off or get the ax8 now and sell it to buy the fm3 when it’s out?

Do you think I’d be able to sell it for arouNd 8-900 ins few months ?(like does fractal retain value like kemper?

2. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Fractal absolutely retains resale value.

With that said, if you’re going to just use it for recording (I assume you have an interface—the AX8 doesn’t have one built in), you might want to consider just using a good plugin. I’ve been messing with the Archetype: Plini plugin from Neural and it’s an awesome suite and has a free trial (I used the trial for a few days and bought it for like $120; WAY worth it).

BananaDemocracy likes this.
  3. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Fractals waitlist used to extend forever back in the day, but I think they sorted out their supply chain and it’s generally not been that bad for a while.

I waited months to get my Axe II and that was after they had been out for years. I don’t think the waitlist took that long to catch up for the Axe III though if remember correctly. And the AX8 has been out of stock for a while but it guess that’s because it was secretly discontinued.

Fractal stuff tends to hold its value until its old tech. For a couple years after I got my Axe II, I could have resold it for close to what I bought it for new. However once the III had hit the streets the used prices dropped a lot. I think I could sell now for like 50% or 60% of new value at this point.

I don’t know if the AX8 used price has taken a hit yet, but I would expect it to, when more people know about the FM3. And I kinda doubt it’s used selling price will be within $100 or $200 of a new FM3, unless people really, really value more foodswitches on the unit, vs. just plugging in some external switches into an FM3. Bare in mind this is just speculation on my part.

In conclusion, I would wait for the FM3, unless you absolutely need something now.

BananaDemocracy and Deadpool_25 like this.
  4. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

How badly do you need it? What do you need it for?

You say you need an amp then list floor multi effects. Why not just get a II base and a small midi controller?

What are your actual needs?

5. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

Wait. Either for the FM3, or for AX8 prices to drop enough to justify getting one when the FM3 exists. Get one of the Neural DSP plugins to tide you over in the meantime (assuming you have an interface), they sound great for a relatively cheap price.

But like @budda was getting at, I don't know your actual needs, that's just my bias.

6. MSS

MSS SS.org Regular

Wait for the FM3. While the Ax8 is awesome, all the new good stuff will come with the Axe III FM3 firmware updates.

SloeGin and BananaDemocracy like this.
  7. budda

Why not just buy an hx stomp and pocket the other half+ of your $1k for when the fm3 is out?

Masoo2, BananaDemocracy and Razerjack like this.
  8. BananaDemocracy

I passed on the ax8 for 1000
    Just didn’t make sense
    I need an all in 1 really. Interface , preamp/amp, I need it for recording and for all live purposes

I think the more I think about what you guys are saying I need the axe fx

Whether i keep the axe iii or get a used axe ii for half ??? That’s my issue now

Since I’m not a huge huge modeler , should I just get a used axe fx for $1200 or keep the axe iii for $2200??

My needs are to minimize expenses while having all of the capabilities , but I need something before the fm3

So I’ll just sell the axe iii in the end and either buy the fm3 new (or a used ii)

Reason I liked the fm3 was for built in switch but 3 isn’t major and I can always add a better controller for axe fx

But do you think as a new user I would need the axe iii or should I just get s used ii, I don’t want to be cheap on myself which I often am , but I want something to invest in my music , performance( and also if it has resale value that s great)

Thanks boys

9. budda

If you already bought the iii, just keep it.

You can get a $150 interface and most current tech will meet your needs for another $500.

I would say actually start the recording and gigging, and then reassess.

You can get a 5150, multi, and 2i4 and VST's and be good to go.

c7spheres and BananaDemocracy like this.
  10. BananaDemocracy

Shit
    I thought the axe iii had built in interface
    Oh well
    What would you suggest then

Or did you mean I could’ve bought presonus ibterface with a line 6 and recorded ??? Rather than the 2.25k axe???

If so I know but i already bought it
    It was on sale on fractal and in stock!!
    Maybe I fucked up (feeling a lil queasy lol)

11. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Both the Axe II and Axe III have a built in interface. Only the AX8 does not.

lewis and BananaDemocracy like this.
  12. BananaDemocracy

That’s actually maybe the smartest idea ....
    Oh well too late now, and it’s hard to just jump from kemper and fractal to line 6. I mean they are great, arguably the best entry and mid level modeling out there . If I knew I might have bought it . I had no idea this hx stomp exists and when I found out it was an interface my jaw dropped , this is fractals reason for the fm3! Thanks for showing me a very affordable alternative actually .

13. budda

What makes the jumping difficult? Similar enough principles behind them, just read the manual and maybe watcha a demo or 2.

14. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

You could be dead by the end of the week...

buy the AX8 and get to work.

15. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Just keep the III. It has a solid built in interface and you can use it live as so many touring artists do. The only thing you seem to be lacking is a foot controller. pick up any decent footboard that has MIDI control. Personally I like the Morningstar MC6. It's small but the buttons are spaced well, and you can use button combinations to give you like 9 presets on one "page". You could use a lot of things for MIDI control though.

Then you have the Axe III with its interface and tones (which are stellar). You can use it for live use it for recording and straight to FOH (you can also run one of the outputs into an amp's power section if you want some amp sound on stage).

My only gripe with my Axe FX II XL+ was that it was too "tweak-y" for me. After finally accepting that I'm not going to get along well with modelers, I'm back to real amps. If you are going to have a modeler anyway, you already have the best of them. Keep it.