Avengers endgame

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by vejichan, Apr 25, 2019.

1. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

I think "mildly" is an understatement here. :lol:

2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

That's entirely you projecting what you think people are thinking back on to them. It's extremely difficult to get tone across in an internet post, and very difficult to be clear about just how much you care about the thing being being said. I've written walls of texts on this site about things that I reaaaaaaally don't care that much about at the end of the day, mostly because of that built-in urge to respond to anything that appeared to be a direct response to something I said. :lol:

Jonathan20022 likes this.
  3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I've posted multiple times in this thread but never actually talked about whether or not I liked the movie.

I liked the movie.

Anquished likes this.
  4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Just to jab at the whole ladies in movies things one more time - because I can - also, not sure if this counts as a spoiler?
    I actually really dig having Pepper in her own Iron Man suit. (Iron Person suit? Iron Woman suit?) No idea if that was already a thing, but it was new to me. That, in my eyes was the right way to empower someone.

Hollowway and Jonathan20022 like this.
  5. PunkBillCarson

Well I mean, when someone calls you "a fucking idiot" I think that's a little more than mild. :lol: It's since been deleted, but yeah.

6. PunkBillCarson

Yeah I thought that scene was pretty cool, too, myself, but then again are you really surprised?

7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Well, then, I'll instead say that there's at least three different people whose views might be similar, but of varying intensity.

This thread has reminded me that I still didn't watch Captain Marvel, but I think I should at some point.

Actually, I was kinda surprised by it, and that's part of what I liked about it.

8. PunkBillCarson

I mean in terms of ME liking that scene. :lol: Given all the banter in this thread.

TedEH likes this.
  9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire unofficial sso pickup tester

that was a thing in the comics, look up the rescue suit

XPT707FX and TedEH like this.
  10. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I like and appreciate that it's a thing. I'm not gonna lie and say I'm gonna bother reading the comics now though. :lol:

Hollowway likes this.
  11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire unofficial sso pickup tester

They really only hinted at Pepper having a suit earlier in the film, when Tony talks about the mask his daughter was playing with as "part of an anniversary present" .
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Rescue_Armor_Model_1
    The suit in the film is cooler than the rescue it's based off imo since it also has offensive capabilities

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  12. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

One of my friends that likes to rant and rave about “SJWs” (we have lots of other things in common so I just try to steer clear of anything that trips that trigger!!!) was talking about that and actually liked it. I think to some degree faithfulness to comics trumps that kind of conservative rage.

13. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

People always assume not liking one particular thing means you hate everything.

Other then rolling back the extremis powers the rescue armor had a precedent in iron man three.

Pepper also wore that suit as rescue for a long time in the comics.

I’ve never talked to anyone that hates the Rescue armor.

XPT707FX and Jonathan20022 like this.
  14. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I’d love an aforce movie.
    Except this particular aforce...they’d have to spend some more time with these guys in some more movies.

Mantis needs a significant power upgrade.

Movie shuri is much better then comic shuri atm though.

XPT707FX and KnightBrolaire like this.
  15. PunkBillCarson

Well if I'm not mistaken, I believe that Stan Lee used his characters as a way to fight problems that were in the real world, but did so in a spectacular fashion in his comics. I COULD be wrong though, it's just something I read once.

Hollowway likes this.
  16. Jason B

Jason B Unbanned

I haven’t read the thread due to my habit of not getting worked up over children’s movies, but has anyone commented on the fourteen inferred timelines in the film and how the camera only shows us seven of them? This movie and Dragon Ball are the two best examples of this type of time travel where the only proper explanation is “just have fun and don’t think about it”, yet the entire plot is dependent upon mechanics breaking the rules the writers took the time to explain with exposition that demonstrates their lack of understanding of their own time travel.

Not nitpicking - I enjoy fictional time travel that doesn’t take itself seriously. I just don’t know if anyone in the thread has chosen that topic as their hill to die on.

XPT707FX likes this.
  17. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

So one person takes a personal jab, seemingly after having assumptions drawn about them. Then every person with a neutral - mild take afterwards get blanketed under the sperging woman hating demographic?

I've asked a few people the last week about the film and had a short conversation about this scene in particular at work/hanging out/etc. And there were plenty of people who in the moment as passionate Marvel fans were both excited, and others who felt like that moment was not genuine and a part of like others have mentioned "token" checklist.

Key word, passionate. I'd argue me, and plenty of the people you seemingly disagree with can find some middle ground after conversation where you both agree that the MCU could have done better. Because having something you love adapted is an important thing to plenty of people, you're either satisfied with it and take it for what it is on a surface level. Or you can see it as a shoehorned scene when those actresses deserved far more screen time than they did.

When are we going to stop accepting the equivalent of scraps in the realm of being inclusive and start concerning ourselves with the genuine intentions of hollywood and social figures meaning what they say and what they do?

18. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

All these comic movies are very clearly aimed at adults (and teens probably). :shrug: Not something I'd put in the category of "children's movie".

19. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

You sound cool and edgy if you say that, though.

20. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

In fairness, I have no qualms about enjoying something that wasn't targeted at me. I'll watch a kids movie. I just watched Detective Pikachu. Was it good? .....not really. It really depends on what you're willing to call "good". But I was entertained.

XPT707FX likes this.